THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Curitiba

TotallyOz
This topic is 7066 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A good friend of mine is planning on finding an apartment in Curitiba. What do you think of the city for an American to live in? Will there be other Americans to talk to? Plenty of gay places? Is it safe? Clean? Cheap?

Any information and advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

>A good friend of mine is planning on finding an apartment in

>Curitiba. What do you think of the city for an American to

>live in? Will there be other Americans to talk to? Plenty of

>gay places? Is it safe? Clean? Cheap?

>

>Any information and advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

I have been to Curitiba several times.

Curitiba is, according to international travel magazines, the "cleanest city in South America." I agree with the assessment of the city. It is clean and does not look like any other city in Brazil that I have seen. I have two American friends who live in Curitiba who are happy living there.

In my opinion, and in the opinion of my friends, Curitiba is safe. I have walked around in various parts the city and have never felt threatened, even at night.

Hotels and restaurants are less expensive than are the hotels in Rio or/and Sao Paulo. Some of the restaurants are quite spectacular.

Curitiba has three established saunas with "garatos" and one new sauna that opened this year. The new sauna usually has only a few customers. Opinao and Sauna 773 are the most active saunas in the city.

One of my friends recently bought a three-bedroom apartment in a very nice security building in an excellent area. He is quite satisfied with the price he paid.

Curitiba is about 45 minutes by air from Sao Paulo (CGH)and about one hour and 15 minutes by air from Rio (GIG).

Your friend will not have a lot of Americans to talk to in Curitiba. This can be a good thing because it cuts down on the mean spirited gossip that comes from some of the jealous Americans who regularly frequent Rio.

I enjoy Curitiba, in fact, I will be returning there in April.

If one develops temporary boredom while living in Curitiba, Porto Alegre is only about one hour away by air. Porto Alegre is in the South of Brazil and is a wonderful city to visit.

I hope this helps your friend with his decision in connection with Curitiba.

Imrthr pretty much said it all. The only other things to add are that Curitiba is inland and the highest of of the large Brazilian cities, so it has real seasons and can drop down to freezing occasionally on winter nights. Once in a very long while there is a dusting of snow. It's the state capital of Paraná and an important industrial center, with many attractive residential areas, good cultural life, nice parks and good public transportation. It's a very well-run and well-organized city, kind of Brazil's equivalent of Minneapolis, only not quite as bland! ;)

The nearest beaches are about 90 minutes away along Paraná's very short coastline, but many people go onward to the beaches in neighboring Santa Catarina. Florianópolis is a popular destination; it's about 4 hours by car or bus and less than an hour by air from Curitiba. Iguaçu Falls are located on the western edge of Paraná, also less than an hour by air from Curitiba.

The only thing I can add to the prior posts is that I've heard that the sauna called 520 is very good. My Brazilian "boyfriend" is from that area and was once a sauna boy there, among other places. While I have not been to Curitiba myself, my friend said that 520 was the only sauna that vetted the boys--the others let in anybody who paid the boys' entry fee. SF Traveler

I certainly liked Curitiba. It seems to be more like a city in Europe than in South America. If anything, it is almost too clean and sterile. I could not spot any flavelas (slums).

My only concern would be whether there are any other gay gringos living there. If not, it could be lonely unless you are fluent in Portugeese. We met one American at a sauna who has lived there for a few years. He thinks he may be the only gay gringo in the city, but he is fluent in the language.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived