THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Brazil to Thailand

TotallyOz
This topic is 7167 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Looking for an airline for a Brazillian citizen that leaves from Rio or Sao Paulo and goes to Bangkok. Any suggestions of airlines to check with?

I don't think I can use Northwest or I would use them but they come to USA first and my understanding is that you must even have a visa to stop over in airport in USA. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Looking for an airline for a Brazillian citizen that leaves from Rio or Sao Paulo and goes to Bangkok. Any suggestions of airlines to check with?

I don't think I can use Northwest or I would use them but they come to USA first and my understanding is that you must even have a visa to stop over in airport in USA. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Guest msclonly

I think Varig flies to Narita, then NW to BKK.

Or something with NW partners like JAL, KLM, AirFrance, Malaysia, Korean Airlines. I assume you fly at least Business Class and most of the partners are rated higher then NW. Would you fly your favorite in Coach or BF?

Perhaps flying to Europe on KLM to Amsterdan, and Malaysia Air to BKK will take care of any visa problem! This week, I had tried to book this scenario to avoid NW after the most difficult trip to BKK and back in Dec. NW flies an OLD OLD 742 without the new upgraded seats in BusinessFirst out of LAX, since they are phasing it out. The old seats are horrible and I remember having circulation problems in the legs flying them in the 1990's. But flying from SAN, it would mean Delta to Amsterdam and Malaysia to BKK, which requires TOO many flying hours and two days before arriving for the better connections.

Malaysia Air has all NEW First and Business Class Cabins, which are suppose to be up there with Cathy Pacific and Singapore Airlines quality.

Rather then flying so many miles North to the States before starting the trip to BKK, I would consider a nonstop to Europe with a connection to a nonstop to BKK. I would guess, that KLM and AirFrance has service all the way, since they are REAL International Airlines. Varig might not. I would even believe it would take less flying hours and days via Europe, since Rio is East of the US east coast.

You could consider TWO seperate tickets, rather then trying to do it with just one ticket/booking.

Have you considered getting TWO seperate tickets?

Of course, a roundtrip ticket verses one way might make a difference, if cost is an issue!! ;) Do you plan on returning to RIO after BKK?

Hope this helps get a bypass from going through the States.

;)

Foreigners from countries like Brazil that aren't part of the U.S. visa-waiver program now need a visa just to transit (change planes) in the U.S. If your Brazilian friend doesn't have a visa, or would have trouble getting one, he should plan to travel without passing through the U.S.

It shouldn't be necessary to go through Europe. Best bets are probably Malaysian, with a stop in South Africa and connection in K.L., or South African, with a connection in Jo'burg. Given that South America is farther east than North America, this is probably the shortest route. However, Qantas and Aerolineas Argentinas have southern transpolar flights to Auckland and Sydney from Buenos Aires, from which it would be possible to continue on to BKK. Varig once flew to to BKK via South Africa, but that was back in the glory days, before financial difficulties set in!

Whichever routing you choose, be SURE to check with the Thai consulate and the consulates of any countries where your Brazilian friend will be stopping/changing planes about the visa requirements for Brazilians visiting and/or transiting their countries. (No visa required for South Africa, but I don't know about Thailand, Malaysia, etc.) Visas may be required in some cases, but they're usually not hard to get, unlike U.S. visas which are a bitch to get these days.

Considering the distances, a round-the-world fare might work out cheaper than a regular RT ticket. Have your travel arranger check both options.

Varig does fly to Tokyo, but with a stopover in LA. If the visa isn't an issue, I'd take United or Thai from Narita to BKK, because NW sucks (their Bangkok office is the worst not to mention the crappy aircraft) and with the Varig ticket, either combo would add up to a lot of Star Alliance miles.

Sadly, Singapore Air doesn't fly from Brasil (Star Alliance and probably the best airline in the world). Air Canada would be another option, but they don't fly to Tokyo.

Guest msclonly

The Lufthansa connection sounds very interesting for the least hassles and best connections.

I didn't know that Malaysia Air flies to Brazil, but it sounds like a good itinerary and maybe the most direct! It is the only one mentioned in the last two posts, that is a partner with Northwest Air, other then KLM and AirFrance.

Remember the Atlantic is shorter then the Pacific ocean to cross.

In fact the shortest distance between South American (Brazil) is to Africa.

That is what the Large Cruise liners take when repositioning their cruise ships, especially if they have the newer flat bottoms!

That was no doubt the route the EUROPEAN slave traders used for their small overloaded 'boats'!

PS JAL or Korean Air may go through another city like Lima or Mexico City without stopping in the US, but I have not checked.

Malaysia Airlines flies eastbound from Buenos Aires to K.L (2 stops) with a connection to BKK. You leave B.A. around 10:00 p.m. and arrive in BKK around 9:30 a.m. two days later (many, many time zones).

South African flies from Brazil, and Varig also flies to Jo'burg. It should be possible to connect in JNB for a flight to BKK.

Within the Southern Hemisphere, those are your best east-bound options. Qantas and Aerolineas Argentinas are your westbound choices (departing from B.A.). Otherwise, a connection through Western Europe will be necessary (no visas required for Brazilians to visit "old" EU countries).

Once you decide on airlines, I'd suggest contacting Carlo Romano to check fares. Since Brazil is the originating country, there will be fares advertised here that aren't available when purchased in another country. You may save money buying the ticket through Carlo.

Guest icon513

Flying via Jo'burg will end up taking a lot longer, since there are no longer any non-stops from there to Thailand (you must fly via either Hong Kong, Singapore, KL, or Dubai).

Shortest flying time, least expensive, and all on Star Alliance (if that is your preference)will almost certainly be Rio - Frankfurt - Bangkok.

Hi guys,

I´ve made tris trip ( Rio - BKK ) twice and the best route is by South African with a stop in JHN to make it bearable. It´s a long way from Brazil to Thailand. If all goes well I´m going again in May. Any of you are planning to go to BKK in May ? It would be nice to have a friend over there.

Guest chaotou

> because NW sucks (their Bangkok office is the worst not

>to mention the crappy aircraft)

NWA flies brand new, less than six month old, Airbus A330-200s between NRT and BKK. Can't speak to the BKK office.

Guest icon513

>Hi guys,

>I´ve made tris trip ( Rio - BKK ) twice and the best route is

>by South African with a stop in JHN to make it bearable.

WAS the best route. Unfortunately, though, South African no longer services Bangkok. You now have to connect to Bangkok from Hong Kong, Singapore, or Kuala Lumpur on a second airline.

Another alternative (since it appears South African does not fly directly to Bangkok any longer): South African from Brazil to Mumbai, connecting to Thai (which has daily service, about 4-1/2 hours from Mumbai).

Again, you'll need to check if Brazilians need visas to enter or transit India. (They don't need them for South Africa.)

Guest msclonly

I flew that month old NW Airbus 330 from NRT-BKK last month crammed in Coach and it was NO big deal. Bad enough, that I choose Malaysia First class NW award for next December's trip to BKK.

There are better weays to fly ,then NW.

:+

Archived