THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

What's with customs?

kf6
This topic is 7151 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE: I can't find anything exactly on point but

Thanks, joel304. That helps clarify the powers of U.S. Customs inspectors. Guys, as previously advised, be clean as a whistle when you enter the U.S.!!! Needless to say, that should always be the case, but you really don't want to fall into the clutches of the Homeland Security Department in these touchy times!!!

RE: I can't find anything exactly on point but

This really is shocking to see our rights erode like this. Unfortunately, it will take someone being wrongly convicted through invasive searches to turn the tide. I wouldn't want to be this person though. Be careful.

First of all I would like to thank Trilingual for moving my post to the proper location. I've been reading this board for several years now, but had never posted before, so it's kind of a new experience for me. I also would like to thank all of you for your replies - they were very informative. It was also nice to read a response from a lawyer.

I've never been really worried about customs finding anything, because in my case there is nothing to find. If one were to look at my passport you would see I travel quite frequently - I would think that fact would dawn on the good folks at customs that: "Hey, this guy travels alot, he knows the score, he isn't stupid, he knows what he can and cannot bring back to the US..." - obviously and unfortuately for me, that doesn't appear to be the case. The pedophile thing kind of caught me off guard, cause to be honest I've never really thought about it. My sexual tastes are so far from that it isn't funny.

The rather boring fact is I'm planning on retiring to Brasil...I make frequent visits because I like the country and am beginning to make friends down there. My visits aren't of long duration because I haven't retired yet and due to job requirements can't be gone for extended periods of time. I'm investigating places to live, trying to get the lay of the land so to speak. (and yet another Thank you to Tri for his great FAQ's. - they have alot of great info, and I've been taking advantage of the knowledge...it has saved me alot of grief).

I will be traveling again to SP the first week in March, so shortly I will be able to give you all an update on my next experience with customs. The flight from GRU to IAH is an overnight with an early AM arrival. I can never sleep on that flight and I'm always exhausted when going through customs and immigration. That probably contributes to my displeasure when being asked all the innane questions. At least now I know what they are looking for so I at some point if it starts getting weird again I can say: "Look, I'm not a pedophile, a drug smuggler or a terrorist" - although, that probably would do no good. Perhaps I can take my camera with me again and take pictures of Churches in SP - maybe get some pictures of priests and nuns... - then if they ask to see my camera they can take a look. Of course, the question will be why did you take these pictures, and my answer would be: "Well, you seemed disappointed a month ago when I passed thru here that I had no pictures, so I took a couple this time just for you." Then again, probably not...as Tri said, I don't want to end up on their shit list.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for border security, but they know exactly how many times I've been through Brasil and they know each time my travel has been innocent. The only thing they have ever found is a small bottle of lube and a few condoms. I think it is a great leap to connect lube and condoms with pedophile. As an adult, don't you have a right to have sex with other consenting adults? You would think when they bring up my records, they would think: Duh, we've already quizzed this poor guy to death, let's move on. Haven't they heard of the law of diminishing returns - apparently not.

What would you guys think. Should I just stop taking the lube, condoms and camera with me - or should I just blow it off, continue what I'm doing with the knowledge that I'm not doing anything illegal, and just put up with the innane questions. My instinct is to say F&CK 'em and continue with what I've been doing.

Again, thanks again for your responses. I've appreciated your comments and advise.

My vote is to continue doing EXACTLY what you've been doing; in my opinion, you've done nothing wrong, certainly nothing illegal and I would like to think that eventually, the customs clamor will pass.

I too recognize the need for enhanced security, but like everything else in an imperfect world, people will tend to go overboard.

I used to mind the seemingly endless and mindless questions (since like you I am often exhausted after a flight) and the search of my luggage (since I'm a pretty economical packer and tend to cram a lot in my bags).

But I've learned to deal with it, sometimes in ways that actually make me laugh after the fact.

Now, I ALWAYS pack my dirty laundry (in those plastic hotel bags) right on top. Doesn't bother me if a customs official wants to "air" my dirty clothes, but I've noticed that consistently, it cuts down on the amount of time they search through the bags.

One thing I would be careful about, if possible, especially if you are travelling alone, no matter where the customs officials are, is when you answer any questions about your employment. Even if you are legitimately retired, or like me, temporarily semi-retired, or legitimately out of work, its best to answer that question with an innocuous "I'm a consultant" or "I'm a personnel recruiter."

I don't advocate lying, but one could very easily stretch the meaning of those two occupations without being untruthful.

It may be just my experience, but customs officials in Europe particularly tend to focus on single male travellers who do not list something "credible" in the employment section.

Good luck in all your future travels,

hd NYC

If it happens again the next time you come through IAH, ask to speak to the port director or the top person in charge. Tell them you're a frequent traveller and that you've been stopped and asked these questions on all your recent flights home through Houston, so it's clear that your name must be on a "watch" list, because this can't be a coincidence if they're just checking travellers randomly. Ask what you can do to get your name off any such list.

It's entirely possible that they've legitimately got someone with the same or similar name on a watch list, so they need to do something to refine it (like adding information on birthdate, SSN, passport number, place of birth, etc.) that would help distinguish between you and whoever is on their list.

If they won't help you, or tell you there's no way to get your name off the list, you'll need to consult a lawyer, or an advocacy group like the (gasp!) ACLU when you finally get out of their clutches.

Good luck!!! Please keep us posted about what happens on your next trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted you all to know I sailed through customs today. Everyone was smiling and pleasant. I received the Welcome back home sir which I haven't heard in a looooooooooooong time. Did something happen while I was gone? Anyway...made my day.

Archived