THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

South America -- My First Time

HotdadENYC
This topic is 7188 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

TotallyOz and Trilingual, you both do us a great service with your advice, your observations, your candid descriptions of your exploits and most importantly, the safety guidelines that you post so often.

Each of you, or both of you, can certainly give Fodor's a run for their money, inasmuch as there aren't many detailed guides out there that cater to the discriminating, purchasing gay male.

I am (hopefully) planning on a trip to South America, later this year, using frequent flier miles and I will of course re-read the threads each of you have posted.

However, two questions remain unanswered (at least from my perspective) and I would appreciate it if each of you could give me some advice.

1. When is the best time to go to South America? For me, it would be the May-June-July timeframe. Any complications with that?

2. Where would be the best place to go, in your estimation, for my FIRST time? Rio? Sao Paolo? Buenos Aires? Somewhere else? I recognize that the choice of destination can be somewhat subjective, but just consider me a pupil and advise accordingly. BUT, also be aware that I am an amateur geologist, so areas that produce stunning rocks and minerals, such as those in either Brazil or Argentina, would be an added benefit.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate whatever information you can send my way.

Regards,

hd NYC

Any time of year is good in South America, except in the deepest south, where you'll be facing winter weather in June and July. (Snow, cold, short days, etc.)

In places like Rio and Buenos Aires, the weather will be cooler than in the peak of summer, but mostly still pleasant. Buenos Aires can get chilly at night, as can São Paulo. The cultural season will be in full swing in all three cities, so there'll be no shortage of things to see and do.

Given your geological interests, you will probably want to allow some time for trips to Minas Gerais, in Brazil, which is the epicentre of the precious stone trade (in the state capital, Belo Horizonte, the area around Governador Valadares, and the old baroque colonial mining towns) and the Argentine Northwest (physically similar to the American Southwest, except the mountains are MUCH bigger). There's as much interesting geology in the area around Salta, Jujuy and the Quebrada de Humahuaca leading up to the Bolivian border. I'm not sure where the rhodocrosite mines are in Argentina, but they're somewhere in the Andes. Closer to Mendoza, I think. Other spots of interest in Brazil would include the Chapada Diamantina in the interior of Bahia, the tepuis in far northern Brazil (Roraima), of "Lost World" fame, or the national park in Piaui where there have been finds of extremely ancient human settlement that could upset the "crossing the Bering Strait" theory of human migration to the Americas.

There may not be zillions of guide books, but there are some very good ones. The two best, for my taste (and I think yours, as they are detailed and describe topography and geography well) are the Footprint Handbook and the Rough Guide series. Both have good guides to Argentina and Brazil, and I'd strongly recommend getting both of them. Once you delve into them you'll see that there's enough to keep you interested (and coming back) for a lifetime!

Trilingual beat me to it. I agree with him. Although, I haven't visited Minas yet, I understand that many of the old cities there are very picturesque. In addition, it's hard to imagine visiting South America without visiting Rio first. It's certainly one of the worlds most beautiful cities - the hills, bay, and foliage. This April, I'm going to go elsewhere (Sampa, Recife, Fortaleza, Manaus, Brasilia, and Curitiba. I'll report anything interesting I discover.) But for my first visit to South America, I would strongly vote for Rio. And during winter, I would suspect that Rio would have the most pleasant weather.

Thanks guys, for the excellent advice. Geologically speaking, I already knew about Minas Gerais and have had every intention of visiting there. Of course, I'll continue to do more research.

A recent Argentinian masseur I experienced here in NYC also gave me some great advice about Argentina sites.

I know Brazil is lush with amethyst, which we Americans only think about, so that's another reason why I would want to go there.

NOT to mention the boys. Now, I have some thinking to do.

Thanks, gentlemen, for making that process a bit more difficult.

Challenges in life should be so enjoyable.

Cheers,

hd NYC

Well, you heard from the intelligent side of Brazil. Now for the #### side. ME. :)

Sao Paulo is fun and LaGoa is the main sauna. It is fun and exciting. The other saunas in the city are also fun but they are all better on weekends. That is just my humble opinion.

Rio is always exciting for me. Perhaps I always find a boy at one sauna or another and have a great time there. I love 117 and I stay there often but get to all the other saunas. If you only have one weekend in Brazil and want to see Sao Paulo, do it on the weekend and Rio the rest of the time you want fun saunas.

I would also hire Eduardo for a day or two in Rio the first few days you are there to get your bearing. He is amazing and worth the money.

Don't miss out on the internet boys.

Be sure to meet all the M4M'ers at the resturant at night. They are invaluable with their knowledge.

Check out all the old posts here. Keep notes of places you want to see. You will get to see many beautiful things other than boys.

Lastly, let others know if we can assist in anyway. Tri and many others are always willing to answer questions as you see. I am not a Brazil expert just a regular tourist. I have different ideas than most that come here. Get all the input you can and have a blast!

Awesome reply, OZ

You're a gem and I don't mean that literally. OR, maybe I do.

Thanks so much. When I finally decide, I'll let you all know.

Warmest Regards,

hd NYC

P.S. Oz, I am going to e-mail you offline, separately, if you don't mind. Also sending a copy to trilingual.

Uruguay is also famous for amethysts. Chile is famous for lapis lazuli, and Argentina for rhodocrosite (a rare mineral in shades running from pink to deepest rose). Colombia is where the world's best emeralds are found. Mind-boggling amounts of silver were taken from the Cerro Rico in Potosí, Bolivia, at the cost of hundreds of thousands of lives of slave workers. Brazil, of course, is the source of a staggering array of precious stones, from diamonds and emeralds to aquamarines and topazes. In Rio be sure to take the free tours of the work rooms and gem museums at H. Stern and Amsterdam-Sauer (next door to each other in Ipanema). Very low key, and no obnoxious sales pressure, although you certainly are welcome to shop! :)

In your traveling to many places while in Brasil, I'd suggest that you purchase a Brasilpass which will allow you to travel to four or five places and stay according to your desires and dictates. This pass can be purchased from a reputable travel agent only in the States or from discounters which have been noted in the archives at this site.

When I traveled to Rio, Sao Paulo, Manaus, and to Salvador, Bahia Brasil in 2003,I used my Brasilpass. As you can see, the travel included four stops; I think the pass allows up to five or six stops without one's doubling back (depending on what you paid to get your number of stops).

Archived