THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Atlantico - Standard Room

TotallyOz
This topic is 7206 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I will be going to Rio for about 5 weeks. I am not sure if I got a good rate or not for the Atlantico. The rate quoted was $58US a night for the standard room. Has anyone stayed in this room? Is this a fair rate or should I keep looking? Does it have a desk for a computer?

Thanks!

Oz

US$58 a night sounds like a very fair rate for the Atlantico. Did you book it yourself, or through Carlo (who has arranged for some discounted rates)?

Most of the standard rooms are spacious, by Brazilian standards. They usually have a small ante-room with a sofa/day-bed that I presume is where visiting families can stash a kid with some privacy for the grown-ups. There is a desk or table for a laptop.

For more space and comfort, for not a whole lot more, you might check out the new favorite, the Royal Rio, very handsomely done in the W hotels style. The suites are very nice, indeed! (Just ask SF Traveller!) Inquire through Carlo, who's worked out some rates with them. I imagine they'll make a deal for long stays.

The Royal Rio is a bit farther from the saunas and Corujinha than the Atlantico, but still within walking distance, or a 5 minute cab ride away. It's about a block from the Arcoverde Metro station (the first station in Copacabana). http://www.royalrio.com

Guest msclonly

OZ, there is no comparison between the InterCont and the Atlantico.

I will be surprised if you will find the Atlantico acceptable as even your minimum hotel experience, other then the convenience to the Clubs and subway! It was not for me due to the a/c problems, rusty water, and breakfasts. I enjoyed the new Royal Rio much more, but closer to the Copa Palace and the friendly beach, and might not be joiner friendly at this time. In your case, tipping the front desk help might take care of that, since you know how to deal with hotel personel.

The Atlantico rate is good one for their minimal room. But you would be happier in a larger Exec suite for a few dollars more. Some have in room saunas and jacuzzi, that fit more then one person. And has a seperate sort of entry 'waiting' rooom or 'party' room!

:+

Carlo Romanus can probably get you a better rate for the Atlantico (probably more like $50+tax at the current exchange rate). It's listed as 4-star, but is more of a 3-star. Some rooms are better maintained than others. A Junior Suite will run you about 25% more than a standard room. I had one on my last trip but won't bother this time. It was nice having the suana but I didn't use it enough to justify having it or the extra space in the suite. There is plenty of space for a laptop in a standard room, both in the anteroom which Tri described and in the main part of the room.

Haven't stayed at the Intercontinental but would guess that it is a step up in luxury compared with the Atlantico. The Atlantico is a very "easy" place to stay---close to the suanas and the subway, plenty of utilitarian shopping around (grocieries, ATM) and a couple good restaurants, easy to have the guys visit. Even if I was on more generous budget this time, I'd weigh that kind of conevenience pretty heavily.

I don't want to re-hash what has been said about the Atlantico on other threads, but I would recomment staying their only if you want to have complete freedom to bring boys back to your room. This is normally not allowed by Rio hotels for very good security reasons. I don't like the Atlantico standard rooms because they are on the street side and quite noisy, although this hasn't bothered everyone. I would think that for 5 weeks the noise would drive me crazy. The Royal Rio is nicer in every way but somewhat more expensive--if you are interested, you should contact Carlo Romano at http://www.romanus.8k.com and he will gladly assist. I personally have never had an issue with boys at the Royal, but I only bring boys there who don't attract a lot of attention, i.e., they park their cars in the hotels parking lots, they are dressed reasonably well, they tend to look rather European etc. Even the one time they did stop me, they just made the guy sign in and show his RG (Brazilian ID) and it was no big deal. They did charge R$50 extra for this but I had been forwarned and it as very easy and not embarrassing for either of us. SF Traveler

Oz, I have stayed at the Atlantico on three occasions and found this venue to be comfortable but far from luxurious; I think I stayed in a standard room twice (definitely upper floor and on the end); the room was spacious as have been noted. In October of 2003, I had a junior suite-- a lot of space. I've found the water to be ok, the breakfast tasty and plentiful and the hotel itself to be quiet, even during Carnaval. I liked this.

Last October I stayed at the Royal Rio for almost 10 days; I definitely think you would like it more (based on what I've read in previous posts from you). Although it is not close to the saunas, I walked to them as well as took taxis. I think the hotel charges R$50 per guest (based on previous reports here) and is very close to the beach and to the Copa Palace. Lastly, I liked the neighborhood much more than the very busy one where the Atlantico exists.

Have Carlos make your reservation for either hotel, but if he makes it for the Royal Rio, be sure to check the rate before you check in and your bill when you leave. Carlos reminded me to do the latter; unfortunately I didn't, and I do seriously think that they charged me a regular rate, as my bill was much more than I think it would have been if they had agreed to charge the rate that Carlos had gotten for me. Incidentally, I had a suite.

(The first room was attractive but quite small, but it has an internet station; I don't know if the suites have this feature or not.)

Ciao- Axiom

Unless you want to spend all your times in taxicabs, or you have specific business in São Conrado (where the hotel is located) DO NOT stay at the Intercontinental. It's even farther away from everything than the Sheraton! Also, for anyone considering Sheratons, there is a new one in Barra da Tijuca. That's even farther away from all the fun than the original Sheraton or the Intercontinental!!! If you're visiting family or friends or have other business in Barra, it's good that there are finally some quality hotels opening out there. Otherwise, São Conrado and Barra are not sections of Rio that M4Mers should consider staying in if they want to get the most out of their visit. Stick to Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon or the neighborhoods between there and downtown, which aren't far and have Metro service.

Yet Another Suggestion!

Five weeks is too long to stay at any one hotel, IMHO!

My suggestion is to book one week at the Atlantico on a high floor (to minimize street noises and get a view), ideally 10th, 11th, or 12th floors. Plus, if you are a Rio newbie, its convenience may intially outweigh its drawbacks.

Then spend one pricey night at the famous, elegant, old, beautifully restored Copacabana Palace -- something I'm glad I did just to do it once. (Rooms are not huge horizontally, but the ceilings are miles away; oriental rugs everywhere; breakfast buffet is awesome.)

Then swith to the Royal Rio for one week!

During that week, either cancel your return reservations at Atlantico and stay on at the Royal Rio, or cancel your extended reservations at the Royal Rio and return to the Atlantico -- or you may have discovered another hotel/apartment option for even more variety.

A lot of the previous discussion by Rio veterans focused on ease of bringing boys back to your hotel room. I trust you are familiar with the many other postings (e.g., bullet 10 in Tri's "Staying Safe" post) about the risks of bringing boys back! And you can easily be exhausted by sex at the saunas that is also safe in more ways than one.

Anyway, seems to me that five weeks is far too long to put all of your lodging eggs into one unseen hotel basket.

Guest msclonly

RE: Yet Another Suggestion!

I trust that you will not be living out of the saunas like so many M4M folks, and will be interested in the LeBoy Disco, restaurant, and Sauna complex for social activities, which would be closer to the Marriott for an upscale hotel. There is a whole string of various Othon Palace hotels along the Copa beach! The Royal Rio would be your friendly rainbow beach hotel.

I had an inroom commputer with internet access at the Royal Rio, which was very convenient and better then the many internet shops areound, which are very reasonable.

Just remember, it is not Thailand! :)

Guest msclonly

Are you a betting man?

OZ, I am willing to bet, that you would NOT last a week at the Atlantico before you had to get out.!!!!!

Even moreso, if it is a standard room!

If you need a boost to your energy, try a SUPER BI BOMBA smoothie at the corner open air fruitstands. It has the super anti-oxidant loaded ACAI fruit in it plus some GUARANANA powder for those late nites out.

Also try some of the empanadas or pasites in the afternoon for a snack. Fresh out of the oven. The ones with chicken is great. Can't just eat one!

:+ :+ :+

RE: Are you a betting man?

I am a betting man! I bet you 1 million dollars I will not last at the Atlantico. :) As soon as I saw the post about brown water and noice, I made reservations elsewhere. I am now at another one of my favorite hotel chains, even though everyone says do not stay there. It has a great pool and is away for the hustle and bustle of it all. I stayed there last year this time of year and loved it. If they treat me half as good, I'll be a happy man!

RE: Are you a betting man?

The Atlântico may not be for everyone, but it's certainly the closest and friendliest hotel to the M4M attractions in Copacabana. And I would point out that the number of M4Mers who've enjoyed their stays at the Atlântico far exceeds those who didn't like the hotel. The Atlântico isn't deluxe, and doesn't pretend to be. It's a comfortable, clean place that could use some updating but is hardly falling apart.

In fairness to the Atlântico, I've only seen one report of "brown" water; nobody else has mentioned that. If the water is "brown," it means that someone has been working on the pipes, either in the hotel or on the street, and you're seeing rust that's been loosened in the process. It won't last long, and you certainly don't have to drink it! There's bottled water in the frigobar in your room, and you can buy all you want for very little at the nearby supermarkets.

Some rooms facing the street can be noisy, but there are quieter rooms that DON'T face the street, and you can ask for one. I only stayed there once, in a room facing the street on a lower floor and had no problems with noise, or sleeping, particularly when the air-conditioner was on. It effectively muffled the noise of traffic. (But I'm a pretty heavy sleeper.) I thought the breakfast buffet was generous and varied.

Rio has lots of hotels, and everyone has different tastes, but by and large the Atlântico has satisfied many people, and that's worth keeping in mind as you make your travel plans.

Guest msclonly

GQQD for you OZ!

There is no doubt in my mind, that you will delight in the luxurious sheets and especially the plump pillows at your favorite hotel chain.

There will be a lot of other pluses.

I am sort of disappointed, that you are NOT going to spend a nite or two at the Atlantico, so that you could give us a comparison survey of the two hotels.

:+ :+ :+

RE: GQQD for you OZ!

Trilingual, I agree with you completely. Although the Atlantico is not 5***** or perhaps 4.5-- it is a comfortable as well as popular hotel with many, many of us M4Mers as well as innumerable international visitors and residents of Brasil.

Again, I'd like to reiterate as I've done at this thread as well as in the archives-- I've stayed there 3X's and have always requested a room on an upper floor and on the quiet side; the desk personnel have always professionally and promptly accommodated my requests.

I liked the suggestion that I think BillyZ made, Oz. Since you plan to be in RIo for a month and a week, why not divide your time and money amongst at least more than just one hotel? That way you can continue to relay salient advice to future travelers to the land of the cariocas.

(Since I've stayed at both the Atlantico and the wonderful Royal Rio, I want to sample the Copa Palace and the other 5 star that is across the street from the beach in Ipanema. I also want to stay in an apartment for a while.)

Oz, enjoy your stay, and thanks for the info. you've given me about places to stay and things to do while in "the land of smiles." I am getting excited again!

Guest dreynsol

RE: GQQD for you OZ!

The Atlantico is more than a hotel to me. It was my first home away from home in Brazil. The staff welcomed me with open arms and never raised an eyebrow about my goings and comings, or who I was with. No one could ever erase the memories of the late night parties, or the laughter, enjoyment, AND great sex that I've experienced there. :p Or the company of fellow M4Mers staying there.

I've always booked the Junior Suite, and in all my travels around the US, I've never stayed in a room that had it's own sauna!

Have my experiences been perfect?? Not by any stretch of the imagination! I've experienced the 'rusty' water on one occasion entering the jacuzzi. I've even experienced water leaking from the ceiling when I learned that 15 minutes of repair in Brazilian time is equivalent to an hour in our time! :-)

But, I always felt the Atlantico was much like Brazil is, a little rough around the edges but worth the adventure.

If you want your Brazilian adventure to be like staying at the Sheraton down the street, the Atlantico is not for you.

Personally, when I'm on vacation, I like to walk to all my destinations. My most memorable ones have been in Key West. The stress of driving or even riding in a taxi is not a vacation to me.

From the Atlantico, being able to walk to the saunas or even taking the Metro across the street is a big plus. But, that's a decision for YOU to make. The Atlantico IS in a perfect location to walk to all your favorite destinations.

I think you all can assume that I'm staying again next month and very much looking forward to it. Counting the days! :9

Tchau, e um abraco grande para todo meus amigos <a big hug for all my friends>

- Drey

Archived