THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Postscripts

jackhammer91406
This topic is 7253 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am home from my recent trip and am recovering from a very nasty case of bronchitis.

I have no desire to relive the events mentioned in the other thread since I have moved on. However there are one or two things I wanted to mention with regards to places I visited this trip that I think would be of interest to others.

During my first trip to Lapa (or what is described as the old downtown of RIO), some friends invited me to a place called the Scenarium. By day it is a four story antique store. By night it becomes an amazing club with wonderful live music, food and an upscale crowd of mostly locals in an eclectic atmosphere and environment. I would recommend you check it out.

I did take time to visit a restaurant across the street from the Cocpacabana Palace called simply THE PALACE. This is a nice, upscale churascaria on Rua Rudolfo Dantas. Wonderful sushi and salads, very good beef and appetizers and live piano even at lunch.

My friends Roberto and Dirk have opened their lovely home as a guest house for visitors from all over the world. Roberto is a good friend and I trust him with my life. he arranged for a loaner cell phone for me during my visit. check out their website at

http://www.guesthouserio.com

My friend Deyves, who along with Silvio took care of me during my stay. Deyves is available to pick you up at the airport and drive you anywhere during your stay. I owe these two young men so much. If you desire to contact Deyves, you may contact Carlo Romanus to arrange things for you, or email me.

Finally, my friend Gulliver; this man makes the best chicken soup. If you are lucky enough to receive an invitation for dinner at his apartment, accept as fast as you can.

I have many great local friends in RIO and Brazil and I hope to see them again someday soon.

My personal thanks to Carlo Romanus, Eduardo, and to Norbert.

Jackhammer, I'm glad that you returned safely and are basking in the glow of the wonders that Brasil (Rio) has to offer.

Enjoyed the lunch with you and your friends and will ever have fond memories of the brief time that we spent together in the land of the cariocas, and I will never forget the turbulent boat cruise that we brave innocents took along with the guys from Florida!

...shall keep in touch!

Edd/Axiom

• 3 weeks later...

The joys of fast packing

I have such a great employer. When I returned from RIO, the first thing my boss did was pay for a new cell phone. I had replaced the lost watch at RIO Sul with Eduardo the day after my experience.

Last week, my boss asked me to get a new digital camera so that I could take some pictures of a recently vacated unit which was destroyed by the tenant.

I have a small bookcase that catches all of the little stuff like keys, binoculars, cameras, etc. The other day I was getting ready to put the new camera away in the old camera bag. I opened the bag and there was my original digital camera and ALL OF MY MEMORY CHIPS FROM ALL OF MY TRIPS IN THE LAST TWO YEARS!!!!

It seems that in my haste to pack for the trip, what with the massive nose bleeds for four days (including the day I left), I guess I must have packed the old 35 mm camera and bag, which the thief didn't even want. Anyway, the good news is I didn't lose my camera and all of the memory chips. I still have all of the great shots of my first trip to RIO and my other trips.

While getting older sure sucks in most ways, there is apparently a silver lining to Alzheimer's disease after all. I guess I don't have to worry until I forget what a camera actually is for...

Anyway, wanted to share the good news since you all were there for the bad as well.

Guest dreynsol

RE: The joys of fast packing

Hi Jackhammer,

My first trip to Rio, I had no idea what to expect (actually very little) and I was totally amazed at what I experienced. So, my expections for my second trip were probably overly inflated and not truly realistic.

Yes, I live vicariously through friends that frequent Rio more often than I, but I know my heart is still in Rio. But, I would never say it's the PERFECT tourist destination to anyone.

Just remember you're not getting older, you're getting better, and taking SOME risks keeps you young and a lot wiser from your experiences. No regrets! :-)

You're now a veteran and can now give us your opinions as such.

Tchau e um abraco grande,

Welcome back,

- Drey

RE: The joys of fast packing

The Christ Statue opens His arms in forgiveness. And Mother Brasil surprises you with the discovery that your photo memories are yours again......good cause for Thanksgiving :+

Archived