THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Jack Back in RIO

jackhammer91406
This topic is 7278 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This is going to be quick. I haven't decided whether I am posting a journal this trip or not, but I wanted to let my friends know that I made it back to RIO today. I finally got the room at the Atlantico that was supposed to reserved for me last year. 1201 for any guys down here now.

Had a little trouble getting the INTERNET hooked up so the hotel sent up their resident techie. Oh My Gosh is he cute. It took a few hours, several repeated visits and a trip to an electronics store to replace some modem equipment, but I am set up and have run out of excuses to have this kid come to my room. And guys, guess what his name is?

Yup! Alexandre. I think this trip is going to be just fine.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am soooo relieved to know that you were able to make it to Rio for your birthday. What a relief. I told you there was a power in St. Jude. I'm sure many people who love to read another jounal, but understand that time is precious. ENJOY EVERY SINGLE MINUTE!!! :+

second wind

Gringo,

Thanks for the good wishes and prayers. The problem I was having was still very active at flight time, but 24 hours later is gone.

Of course the caprinha(sp?) at the Bella Blue didn't hurt either.

grewyers, I will be leaving here the evening of Nov 2. Look me up if you are in the area and we will have a caprinha (sp?) together.

Tonight I am going to Corujinjas where I'll be meeting the taxi driver. You talkin' to me?

Hey happy your health problem didn't keep you from celebrating your birthday the way you intended to. Even if you don't have time to keep a journal I hope you can post an update now and then.

In any even Happy Birthday and enjoy the vacation :*

RT :)

Jack

Also glad you made it back to Rio. My partner and I are headed back next month for our second visit, were there in January. Question for you if you don't mind. We stayed at the Atlantico and will be there again but we were never able to get their internet access to work for us. Any tips you can help us with that they had to do to get you connected? We have a compaq lapton.

Thanks

Jack

Jack,

I am so happy to hear you are there. Happy Birthday or as they say there Feliz Aniversario.

If I were there with you we could have a chope, and then andar pela praia ate o Leblon. Sounds like heaven. I want to hear everything the envy is murdering me.

Tchauzinho,

Rapaz7

FANTASY VS REALITY

FANTASY VS REALITY

It has taken me a few days to decide whether or not to make this post.

The counsel of good friends here in RIO has persuaded me that it is important that I do so.

Even the casual reader of this forum is aware of the warnings and good advice contained in the pages here. Members such as Tri, Tomcal, Gulliver, Gringo and many others have given valuable information to facilitate a visitor’s enjoyment of the delights of Brazil, and Rio in particular.

However, as we have benefited from this guidance and become more careful, those who would prey on us have become even more sophisticated. The fact is, no matter how careful we are to not dress or behave in a way that announces our tourist status , the radar of these predators has become even sharper and more finely honed.

Let me say, this is not at all intended to dissuade anyone from visiting this beautiful country and city, far from it. It is merely meant to add to the information already available here; to update if you will. The fantasy buffet offered in this city is STILL to be enjoyed, BUT, it must be seasoned with a healthy pinch of REALITY.

Anyone who read my journal from last year’s trip , knows that I left RIO floating on a cloud of wonderful fantasy. As an incurable romantic, I was composing a song as I flew away from this tropical oasis. Yes, I had seen the poverty and the violence, but only from a distance.

My return trip was an impulse born out of a necessity to find a curative for my darkened mood last month. As a palliative, it worked amazingly well and the days leading up to my departure were filled with excitement and anticipation. Despite some medical issues which cropped up four days before departure, I maintained a good mindset and looked forward to my trip.

The grueling flights were well worth it and I arrived tired but buoyed. My friend Roberto (who invited me to his home last year for the barbecue and pool party) met me at the airport and took me to the Atlantico. I finally got the room I had reserved for my last trip, but was never available . After getting settled, I made a few calls to other local friends to let them know I had arrived. I arranged to meet later in the evening with Deyves, (my sweet taxi driver who had taken Alex and I to Barra last year and later joined us along with Daniel for his <and my> first 4 way). Deyves is a wonderful, caring person, absolutely trustworthy, and I would highly recommend using him for transportation and touring. Those interested in his services can email me and I will give you his information.

To continue an already long story, I had arranged to meet him at Corujinas for a drink. HE and his best friend Sylvio arrived late and by the time they got there, I had already been targeted. Even with friends watching carefully for my safety, I was taken to the Cinderella dance. And it happened like this:

One of the gang who targeted me was a sweet sexy guy who had struck up a conversation with me while I waited alone at the café. He was joined by friends who it seemed happened to walk by and see him. I found my self buying drinks for four men I did not know. I was not opposed to buying a few beers but my guard was up (I thought). When Deyvers and Sylvio arrived, I asked the others to leave, all but Fabio, the guy who seemed too sweet to be a danger. The others did leave my table, but never left the area, and in retrospect, they had cleverly and discretely obtained FAR too much information from me about my arrangements in RIO.

After a few more drinks and some food, it was decided that the four of us would all go back to my hotel along with another boy retained for Deyves and Sylvio. In this large group, I felt incredibly safe knowing that Deyves and Sylvio would be present. I had been careful about my drinks and no one was able to spike them. I had NEVER trusted the guys who had shown up as Fabio’s friends, so I had been even more careful than I would have.

At this point may I add my new rule number one. Never, NEVER go to that café alone. Arrange your meeting with friends at another location and then travel to the café together.

While Fabio, Sylvio and I waited by the car , Deyves negotiated for another boy to join us. Fabio had insisted he would not take any money and simply wanted to spend time with me. RED FLAG…there may be one or two sexy young men on this planet who would find me attractive enough to mean this, but wherever they are, they were not with me Friday night.

As we waited, Fabio became more intimate, kissing me passionately and insisting we go ahead and walk the few blocks to the hotel. It is hard to imagine having the fortitude to resist the seeming passion of a hot young man, and of course, I was persuaded to go ahead, knowing that Deyves and Sylvio would very quickly be at the hotel.

As most of you know I am a smoker. I always have breath mints or breath strips . As Fabio got more intense with his kisses, I reached for some Listerine breath strips. He pulled out a package of gum, the kind that has the liquid center. See where this is going? He took the first piece, and offered me the second, and without hesitation, I took it.

My new rule number two: the methods of Cinderella sleep have gotten even more sophisticated, so nothing, REPEAT, NOTHING goes in my mouth that isn’t attached to another man’s body!

We got to the hotel, and as most of you know, the Atlantico’s policy about bringing boys to your room is lax to non existent to say the least. This accounts for part of it’s popularity amongst Brazil nuts. We were not stopped and no id check was required.

my new rule number three: I will only stay at a hotel that will protect me by ID check, even if additional charge is involved.

Much of what follows I know only from report. I have no memory of anything after a few minutes back at the hotel. I do remember Deyves and Sylvio arriving with another boy named Fabio (who will now be known as Good Fabio) They played in the front room, while I and the Bad Fabio were in the bedroom. Deyves tells me that he and Sylvio were always having to reopen the bedroom door as bad Fabio was always coming up to close it. At some point Sylvio (a very hot young man with the sweetest mannerr ) came into the bedroom and found bad Fabio going though my wallet. It was apparent

that I was already unconscious and Sylvio grabbed bad Fabio and threw him up against the wall. Sylvio grabbed my wallet and demanded that bad Fabio leave. While they were screaming at each other, Deyves ran in and helped subdue bad Fabio. All of them were naked , so my boys made bad Fabio get dressed and threw him out. As I am told, bad Fabio screamed threats to the boys about what he would do when they left the hotel. The boys have such remorse because they did not frisk bad Fabio once he was dressed. They are filled with guilt because bad Fabio had already managed to stuff into his pockets my digital camera (with all of my memory chips of all my trips in the last two years including RIO), my cell picture phone, and my limited edition NFL watch which was a gift from a good friend. )

I have since assured the boys that all guilt is mine and they actually saved my life, not to mention my laptop, compact HP picture printer, credit cards and everything else.

my new rule number four: before leaving my hotel, ALL items are to be locked in the safe. I will not carry a cell phone with me to go to the café. And unless I am bringing a sauna boy to my room, I will forgo taking any pictures.

After bad Fabio left, the boys tried without success for many hours to rouse me to consciousness. Finally, assured that I was not dead, they left to go home to sleep, leaving me a note. They both tell me neither was able to sleep until they finally heard from me the next day. When I came to, very groggy, I knew at once what had happened as I saw the contents of everything I owned strewn around the room.

Much of Saturday was spent being taken to the hospital by my friend Roberto who came at once when I called him. At the hospital another kind of robbery was attempted, this one involving misstated test costs and doubling the price before being able to receive test results. This kind of thievery goes on every day in the USA, it is called the practice of medicine involving out of state insurance, but that is another entry for another time. Before leaving for the hospital, I was visited by Eduardo who came to greet me a with wish for a happy birthday (Sunday). He remembered that he and Alex had given me a special “present” for my birthday last year. Eduardo stayed at the hospital with me until we were finished, and then saying goodbye to Roberto, Eduardo and I headed to RIO Sol to buy me a new watch. I confess most of Saturday I was totally in a daze and the reality of what had happened to me did not really set in until yesterday (my birthday).

Yesterday was a roller coaster of emotions. My friend Beguiled traveler (who brought me a lovely flowering plant) and I went to visit Gulliver at his apartment and then the three of us went to brunch on Copacabana beach. Ironically, we ate at the same restaurant that Alex had taken me to the morning after we met. It was a bittersweet meal. My friends spent time counseling with me and based on their advice I have offered the above as an addition to the wealth of information about how to safely enjoy the many treasures of this place.

When I arrived back at the hotel, there were flowers and chocolate left for me by Eduardo who had come by to give me another special present for my birthday again this year. For all of his past failings mentioned in this forum, I must say my experience with this boy has been nothing but positive, but I do not doubt that he has done some things that warrant taking a careful approach, and I am hopeful that his reputation can be rehabilitated by his making ammends with those he has wronged, so that he may prosper in a very tough city.

It is at once, humbling, embarrassing and painful to have to write this, my last entry. I have checked out of my room since the gang knows where I was staying, and thanks to Deyves and Sylvio, much of what they came for, I still possess.

I am saddened that my fantasy could not stand the bright light of reality, but it is better for me in the long run and perhaps you as well, that all fantasy be seasoned with a touch of reality.

I continue to experience the effects of the drugs, and emotionally, I am probably worse off than when I made my reservations to visit. I vacillate between leaving early and staying to try and recover some of the magic RIO always held for me. That decision is pending.

In spite of those who will use my misfortune to pontificate on the dangers and take a cheap shot to rail against what they term sexual tourism, may I simply state:

RIO, and Brazil, is an amazing place filled with beauty, mystery, fragrance and magic. DO NOT LET this experience of mine deter you in any way from visiting. Just be vigilant as you would be in any foreign city. And I would suggest you add my new rules to any of your own you may already have in place.

Bon voyage and safe travels from

Jack hammered

RE: FANTASY VS REALITY

Jack,

I'm very sorry about your experience. Please know that we all have a lot of good will and good wishes back home for your speedy recovery. And lots of hopes that the rest of your stay goes a long way to erase the unpleasant memories. Thanks for being so honest and forthright about a tough situation, although as someone fortunate to know you I'm not the least surprised about your candor.

Please accept my Happy Birthday and my unshakeable belief that you are a great guy and that good things will happen for you in Rio in the end. you certainly deserve the best.

Jeff

Guest Tomcal_

I have been corresponding with my friend Jackhammer, the last two days since this happened. It is terrible when something like this happens to you. While this type incident is certainly not common, given how many days/nights all of the Rio travellers have put in, it can happen to anyone, ESPECIALLY if you don't follow the basic rules to play by when you are in Rio.

A couple of points that have been reiterated here on many occassions but bears repeating and if adherred to would have prevented a incident like this from happening:[b\]

1) Never take a guy back with you to the hotel/Apt. that isn't a Sauna guy you know!! We have stated this many times! and definitly don't do it on your first or second visit to Rio. Stick to the saunas.

2)Do not pick anyone up from the street or Corujinhas unless you are a experienced Rio veteren and then only a guy you have seen before and you can get some confirmation on from one of the regulars.

3)Never accept drinks,food etc. from guys you don't Know or you haven't personally got the item yourself!!

It is easy to be lulled into false sense of security with the guys smiling at you and the drinks flowing.

Most visitors are rolled over by the natural splendor of Rio & the hot men with the killer smiles. But beneath the beauty and the passion, there is a dirty underbelly--its called desperation. Somewhere between need and greed, the temptation of opportunity becomes an ugly incident. It's personally embarrassing and demoralizing, but your post may convince some people that the dangers and the warnings are real. Thanks for your candor and honesty. By all means, enjoy the fantasy. But temper your joy with a healthy dose of reality and caution. You are a year older and infinitely wiser. I like to think that there are more good apples in the basket of joy Mother Brasil offers than drug-laced potions. My heart goes out to you. Don't cut your trip short. Don't turn your back on the potential for happiness that you know could still happen. Happy Birthday my friend.

Guest dreynsol

This is from my post a couple of weeks ago.

"... there are some undesirables that hang out at Corujinha's. Not to scare anyone, but I met a local there that was robbed when someone jumped in the cab with him there offering to help him home. He said he considers Corujhina's too dangerous. He was by himself and drinking heavily, but be careful. If it could happen to a local, it could happen -- more so -- to one of us."

Jackhammer, that has been a big worry of mine regarding some of the types that hang out at Corujinha's. It is a target that even the locals are afraid of. I would strongly agree that Corujinha's is not a safe place to be by yourself especially if you're not a seasoned veteran. Rio has a way of lulling you into a false sense of security when you're surrounded by a world of smiles.

Pay Eduardo or a sauna boy to be your protection/look-out for the evening or even walking along the beach especially if you're by yourself, it is definitely worth the $20 Reals -- consider it a luxury tax.

There's no reason to be ashamed of what happened even though I hate it did happen to someone as nice as you.

There are so many good apples there to out-weigh the bad ones. Just keep that in mind.

Sorry your birthday didn't turn out as planned, but have a Happy Birthday for the remainder of your stay. There's no reason to give up now, you've definitely been through the worse.

Um abraco grande <a big hug>

- Drey

When I read your post I thought to myself just how easily I or indeed any of us could have had the samething happen. It is just so damn easy to let your guard down. I am arriving in Rio on the 4th and reading about your experience will certainly make me think with my head rather than my dick.

I feel that my experience with Mother Brazil has so far added so much to my life, and I mean by more than just sex. On both my trips, Wan Hallen has been my constant companion, friend and yes even lover. In retrospect I see how he has protected me from seeing the "under belly". On my second trip, my Brazilian friend and guide, Beto, told me to be very careful with Wan Hallen. Beto lived next door to us in the apartment that we rented, and he very wisely urged caution. After several days he came back to me and said that he now felt very comfortable with Wan Hallen, after seeing how he treated me and looked after me. Wan Hallen was constantly checking tabs from restaurants, and letting cab drivers know to take the most direct route. Wan Hallen let all the boys know at Corrujinha's that they could not fuck with me. He would shoo away anyone he did not know or trust. I am very lucky to have such a good guy as my Brazilian amorado.

REALITY CHECK

I know that I love Wan Hallen, and that he has feelings for me. He just was not faking the tears when I left or the calls just to tell me that he loved me. I take very good care of Wan Hallen. I support him well enough that he lives a very good life. He still lives a middle class life with his mother and younger brother in Uruacu, which is in central Brazil. The money that I have spent on him is probably less than I would have to spend for a weekend escort in the US. Without spending money on him I would have never got to first base. The bottom line is that he makes me feel so damn good about myself that it is almost as if I am in therapy. I know how much I pay my therapists (remember, I own an alcohol & drug treatment program), and Wan Hallen is alot cheaper. The day will arrive when he kicks me to the curb, but no one will ever be able to take away all the wonderful times he has provided me. I am so happy that he is now part of my life. He had just arrived in Rio the day before I got there on my first trip and had just started working at Estacao. If I had not seen him at Estacao, I would have followed Tomcal's advise and would have never pursued him. Please follow the advise posted here and enjoy safely all the wonders that Brazil has to offer.

Hey There,

I was out of town and just read this post. Very sorry to hear about your terrible experience. It`s hard to believe that "bad Fabio" had such brass ones that he is ripping you off while the good guys are in the separated front section of the suite. Are you sure that there was no collusion involved?.

Belated Happy Birthday anyway. I remember last years :-)

We all learn from experience so now I`ll stay away from "Juicy Fruit" too.

Hope that the rest of your trip will improve. It was great that Roberto came to your assistance.

JH this terrible experience not only happens in Brazil it happens here in the US as well.

I can recall a post from HB, maybe 6 months ago, where he had many items stolen from him while visiting Brazil. And the guys who stoled from him he had considered friends.

Now you are a victim. The emotions you're going through must be unbearable at times. The anger, embarassment, hate, remorse ... but these are all normal emotions. If you did not experience them then I would be concerned.

Only you can decide if you want to continue to be a victim (cutting your vacation short) or continue on with your life. Even though my two choices sound one sided there really is no right or wrong answer.

But please remember why you went to Rio to begin with, in your own words, "RIO, and Brazil, is an amazing place filled with beauty, mystery, fragrance and magic." Don't let a few street thugs change your perception.

If you happen by Las Vegas (anytime) please send me a note to my inbox here. I would love to meet you for lunch or whatever ... I'll even teach you how to play Texas Holdem then you can win some of the money back that you lost :)

I am not making light of your experience, I just am trying to put a smile back on a "friends" face.

Hugs, RT :)

Guest BeguiledTraveler

Once again - so sorry about what happened. In retrospect, I wish I could have done more for you.

My understanding is that you are staying in Rio. My sincere best wishes that remainder of your trip strips away some of the "bad" that has occured.

Even with all that happened, it was great to see you (strange that I see you 1000's of miles away, and often we don't connect when we live much closer in the US!)

So glad we had breakfast together on my last day in Rio. My flight home was long and non-eventful. Back to work, and work-related travel schedule.

When you return, I am holding you to our promise to that Brasilian restuarant. In the meantime - enjoy the real deal! (And let me know about that police officer - the pic we saw together on-line!)

Take care my friend:)

On the face of it , it seems a bad story but there is some good in it. For starters you had the good sense to go back with friends. You got rid of the rest of the gang. You could be forgiven for the chewing gum, its an american thing and probably automatic.

However the best thing is that your friends had the presence of mind to look after you. To have such friends in Brasil is a special thing.

Ok you are feeling a bit foolish and you have lost a special gift, but you are still around.

I, too, am really sorry about your bad experience. (Beguiled mentioned it in his e-mail, but as you can see from another post here I was incommunicado for a few days until I got a new computer.)

After something like this happens, it's very common to feel depressed and violated. Fortunately, you discovered that you DO have friends in Rio, and that you weren't abandoned and alone during this trial. There are "bad apples" in Rio as there are everywhere else. Foreign tourists can be an easy target. I can't add anything to the safety rules already discussed here. Following them will help keep visitors safe. But keep in mind that for each of the "bad apples" there are literally HUNDREDS (if not thousands) of good ones, and you clearly have met them, too! I hope that will help you get over the shock and anger that inevitably accompanies an experience like this. I hope the rest of your stay helps make up for your Cinderalla experience!

When I wrote that I hoped you would post news about your trip, I had no idea the posting would be like this. I hadn't checked the board for a few days, and heard of your sad event while talking on the phone tonight with Gringo.

Best wishes to you, may the good come flowing in large amounts.

Peace!

Archived