THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Hotel Vermont Rio

Guest Stockman
This topic is 7310 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Stockman

First of all, thanks to all you guys and your advice. I am planning a January trip to Rio and am trying to save a little money. The hotel Vermont appears to be a lot less expensive than the Atlantico. Can any of you advise me as to the difference between the two? Can I bring "friends" back? Is it close to the saunas? Any help would be greatfully appreciated Thanks:9

The Hotel Vermont is on Visconde de Pirajá, the main shopping drag of Ipanema. It's popular with the crowd that's a step up from backpackers and other thrifty souls. It's not deluxe. It's also not convenient to the saunas, which are in Copacabana. By cab it's only about 10 - 15 minutes, but it's not within walking distance, like the Atlantico or the Royal. I don't know its policies on "friends" visiting.

Have you checked with Carlo about hotel rates? He's arranged discount rates at a number of hotels (including the Atlantico and Royal) in a variety of price ranges. He should have something affordable, and as a travel agent he'll be familiar with the quality of the rooms, safety, cleanliness, visitor policies, etc.

However, if being near the saunas is important to you, ask him about hotels in Copacabana in your price range. There's a much wider selection in Copacabana than in Ipanema, so you'll find something both convenient and affordable.

As long as it's not the 'Hotel Vermin Rio,' i think you'll be alright~

As Tri said, check with Carlo for some great rates on more convienient hotel properties around Rio. I just booked a trip back to Rio for Carnival in February and the hotel rate at the Royal, while obviously marked up a bit, was still a deal.

Enjoy your travels to South America! Rio is wonderful :)

Warmest Always,

Benjamin Nicholas

Also: January is high season in Rio. It's the peak of summer, when school's out and most people in South America take their vacations. Prices will be higher in January and February than during other times of year (except Holy Week, which is a mini-high season). New Year's Eve is only overshadowed on the Rio tourist calendar by Carnival. That means prices around New Year's and Carnival are even higher "special event" rates.

To save money during this time of year, come in between New Year's and Carnival (which is around Feb. 3 - 5 in 2005). Or come after Carnival in February. Because Carnival is early next year, things will be slower afterwards (even though it's still mid-summer) and rates will be more attractive.

Otherwise, opt to travel in low season for bigger savings. That's pretty much all year, except between 12/15 and 3/1, and Holy Week. Of course, there's the occasional big convention or internation meeting/event that fills the city's hotels, and then rates may also spike temporarily. But that's infrequent.

Archived