THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Attack in Leblon..

ohgwm226
This topic is 7311 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

CNN broadcasted today video of an attack by a gang of teeagers on tourists on Leblon beach in Rio. They were shown hitting the tourists and robbing them.

Not a good advertisement for Rio, but the moral of the story: You should not be alone in isolated area on the beach, and do not take valuables with you.

OHGWM226

Didn't see the CNN story, but I did see a photo of this on Globo's website.

There aren't any "deserted" stretches of beach anywhere from Copacabana to Leblon. There are always people there, although they may be thinner on the ground on a weekday in off-season. (Warm weekends will find crowds at the beaches any time of year.)

It should come as no more of a surprise to M4Mers that there is crime in Rio's Zona Sul than it would be to learn that there is crime in Manhattan south of 110th Street. The advice to go to the beach with a minimum of belongings is something you should take to heart. That will avoid trouble. A few other suggestions:

1) The gay beaches in Copacabana and Ipanema are fairly well populated, so they're less vulnerable.

2) Try to go with someone else. If you're alone, park yourself near other people, or near the beer vendors tents.

3) There are well-patrolled "exclusive" areas of the beach in front of the big 5-star hotels like the Copacabana Palace or the Caesar Park. Even if you're not a guest there, find a spot near their areas if you don't want to go to the gay beaches.

4) Stay off the sand after dark.

Nothing will eliminate the risk of beach crime, but you will be less likely to be a victim following this advice.

Sadly, no news here. When I was in Rio last month, I met a Canadian woman who was forced down and robbed in the middle of Ipanema beach. I know a number of people who have lived and worked in Brazil in the past. All told me to have a good time. All warned me that crime can be random, unexpected, and violent. BTW, you should take some valuables--the standard advice (& I know people who've had to use it) is to take at least R$20 with you when you're out for the muggers--it's better than being knifed because you have no money.

Crime truly is random at times in places like Rio. When I was there, several years ago, I had a delightful time and never felt the slightest anxiety, altho I observed the usual precautions which I had noted on this site prior to arrival (don't carry valuables and have just enough cash for your requirements for that day or evening). I walked all over Copa and Ipanema day and night and had no untoward incidents.

My nephew and his fiancee were in Rio two weeks after me and got robbed at knifepoint in Copa, near the Palace Hotel, which is an upscale area. In the early evening, before dinner. They only had a minimal amount of cash on themselves, and credit cards. The robbers were obviously upset, wanting more cash and not wanting the credit cards. Somehow they escaped unscathed but after that they carried around $100R in their pockets (not a lot to us but enough to satisfy hit-and-run thieves.

Archived