THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Travlers checks vs debt/credit cards

world traveler
This topic is 7277 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There has been alot of discussion regarding the use of debit and credit cards, and the fraudulante missue and charges on cards by some people in Rio. Regarding travelers checks in US and Can $, is it relatively simple to change them at the banks, is there a service charge for doing so and are the exchange rates fair? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I personally use my cc for hotel room charges only and my debit for cash, I am thinking that perhaps travelers checks, may be a bit safer that debit card. I would however take a debit for emergency's

WT

Forget traveler's checks. There's hardly any place to cash them and you'll get a terrible exchange rate.

There's no problem using your cards at banks, your hotel, and well-established shops and restaurants. If you're worried, just use your debit card to withdraw cash, and use that. If you do that, hide the bulk of the cash you withdraw somewhere in your hotel room. Only go out on the street with the money you need for the day's activities. R$200 will be more than enough to see you through a normal day. If you go to the saunas later in the day, you can re-stock back at your hotel. Just figure out how many guys you're likely to be doing, plus enough to pay your entrance fee, drinks and snacks, and cabine rentals.

Personally, I haven't had any problems using my cards at the saunas (or anywhere else in Brazil). There seems to be a link between Corujinha and some fraudulent card use. This certainly doesn't happen to everyone, and I see a lot of people use their cards there. However, it's an inexpensive place and I always pay with cash there. That may be a wise thing to do.

If you DO run into problems with your cards, the Brazilian toll-free numbers for Visa and MasterCard are found in the FAQ section, above. That will connect you directly back to your issuing bank. I suggest you copy those numbers and keep them with your passport and plane tickets, which you will have stashed in a safe place.

RE: Travelers checks vs debt/credit cards

In my experience, ATMs are more and more the way to go and usually give a better rate than travelers checks. I keep a small reserve of TCs in reserve in case I run into a situation where most of the ATMs are out of cash, but that's about it. Even American Express is now pushing cash cards with a prepaid cash amount on them. In my trips to Thailand I've found that even the smaller towns will have at least an ATM or two. In the major tourist towns, it's hard to walk a block without finding one. In Rio it was a bit more of a problem finding ATMs that were Cirrus and PLUS friendly, but as I recall most cambios wouldn't take TCs, so I wound up having to cash the checks at either the American Express office or getting a horrendous rate from the hotel cashier. With my credit card, however, I am very careful to limit its use to paying for the hotel or making major purchases from only the bigger stores. If you are worried about using a check card, bring one that is linked to a smaller account and not to your life savings. ;)

When I travel overseas, I am somewhat paranoid about running out of money or being unable to pay hotel or other bills. I had one bad experience when I ran up a $5,000 hotel bill in Russia and then discovered that my credit card company would not accept the charge. This happened two hours before my plane was supposed to depart.

As a consequence, I always have a number of backup sources of cash or ways of paying. If one does not work, then another will.

I carry at least two credit cards issued by different companies. One I use in the country and another that I keep in the hotel safe. If the first one is stolen or lost, I can cancel it and still have another usable one to pay my hotel bill.

To obtain cash, I primarily use debit cards and try to have two issued by different financial institutions. If one does not work, then maybe the other will. Also don't assume that a debit card that works at your neighborhood ATM machine will automatically work in a foreign ATM machine. In one case, I needed a different pin number for overseas transactions. Check with your financial institution before departing for Rio.

Finally, I carry a sizable amount of travelers checks as my ultimate fall back position. I don't plan to use them but I have them if all else fails. I carry American Express checks because there is usually an American Express office in most major cities that will cash them in an emergency.

By the way, I only a carry a photo copy of my passport with me and leave the original in the hotel safe.

Just call me Nervous Nelly.

Guest Valleyman

I’m a nervous nelly too--I also had a bad experience with a credit card. I always carry a few traveler’s checks with me just in case something goes wrong. Both Rio and São Paulo have American Express offices -- the one in Rio is in the Copacabana Palace Hotel. It gives a good exchange rate, but it can take a long time to cash a check there – I once spent more than an hour waiting in line.

Archived