THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Gift for the boys

world traveler
This topic is 7312 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have read a lot on here regarding small gifts for the boys. I am not going to take gifts with me, as I only take a carry-on for the plane. I was thinking however, I could buy a carton of cigarettes at duty free prior to leaving the U.S. Would they be appreciative of a pack of say Marlboro's? Comments appreciated. Suggestings re what kind of cigarettes also.

World Traveler

WT, the only time that I took small gifts was last October which I gave away at the Soiree 2. In October of this year, I plan to take items that are new and that I've never been able to use: designer sunglasses (I need noncurved lenses.), leather bracelets, and perhaps a few t shirts but not many. My guides will more than likely receive these items, for although I plan to see some hunks, they will not be accompanying me anywhere, nor will they be with me for more than 3 hrs unless it's an overnighter!

I am a nonsmoker, thus I would find it difficult to give packs of cigs to the guys. When I went to Thailand on my second trip-- packs of cigs were suggested as acceptable tokens of appreciation, but again, I found it difficult to relent, thus I gave something else: ...can't remember today what that was unless it was of myself! :-)

Unless your carry-on is completely over-stuffed, there should be room for a few T-shirts or baseball caps, which always seem to be appreciated. T-shirts should be "small" or "medium" because the guys like 'em tight. Muscle shirts (the sleeveless kind) are also popular. Things that are written in English are "in," including place names (like states or cities) and sports team wear. Avoid stuff that says "U.S.A."

I don't encourage cigarettes, although some of the guys like them. Better to bring a few boxes of Magnum XL condoms; the bigger guys here love them! They won't take up much room in your carry-on.

Duty free: Brazilians love cologne. You can usually buy the small sampler packages either on-board your flight or at the duty free shop in the arrivals area in Brazil. That saves having to shlepp things around the airport in the U.S. When you arrive in Brazil you can browse the duty-free shop to see what's on special; they usually have something on sale. As long as it's a recognizable foreign brand, it'll be very appreciated. BTW, I've found the small sampler packs on sale at Costco and Sam's Club for much cheaper than the duty free shops! Sometimes the full-size colognes are cheaper there, too.

You don't have to give presents to everybody you meet, but you'll want to give something to the guys you think are special and with whom you spend extra time, or see more than once.

Archived