THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Brasilian Portugese Revisted

Axiom2001
This topic is 7318 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am cognizant that language as used in Brasil has been discussed previously here. I just wanted to state that I just purchased a translator from Franklin at http://www.franklin.com for $39.00. I was charged sales tax, so I will contact them tomorrow about this, but aside from this-- I read one review regarding this unit and the reviewee stated that the device translates Brasilian Portuguese into English and vice versa.

Earlier today I rang their 800 number and had a long, serious discussion regarding their language translators. I also rang Radio Shack fist to see what it had; well, to my chagrin, the only translators to be had at this particular one was Spanish to English and vice versa.

To all of us guys who are deficient in knowing and using Brasilian Portuguese-- I think this device will come in handy while we're traveling and mingling in "paradise" !

BTW There are more expensive models available from other sources, but I'm curious as to what this device can do and how it can help, thus I decided to write about it!

I'm not familiar with these translators, but for even less you can buy the excellent Collins Gem Portuguese-English dictionary and a pocket Berlitz phrase book. These are both small enough to carry in the pocket of a jacket or painter's pants, or in a fanny pack.

There are (or were) a couple of specifically gay multilingual pocket-size phrase books that cover sexual and "dating" terminology and slang. I don't remember the titles, but you can ask at GLBT bookstores, or search for them on-line. At least one included a section in Portuguese.

It was difficult for me to access language translators at the Franklin.com site, but once I did by typing in "translators" or "language translators"-- ten or eleven models appeared; I went from there. But Hoover, in response to your question-- I think the number is 750, but there is only one listed for $39, and that's the one that was mentioned earlier of yesterday when I conversed with the customer service rep. at Franklin Electronics.

Thanks, Tri. I have my wonderful copy of Collins Gem Dictionary and have used it in reading on the Olimpos site and when writing emails to a few of my Brasilian friends and acquaintances.

It's really been a handy tool.

I have the other reference that you mentioned, but I have yet to print my downloaded version; I think I procured it through OutTravel or a similarly-titled thread that's on Planetout.com.

Archived