THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Current Rio Time Zone!

Guest msclonly
This topic is 7320 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest msclonly

I like to prepare accurate Astro reports for destinations based on correct times with a professional program. But the new DAYWATCH program I got yesterday keeps coming up BZD for this month, which I assume means Daylight Savings in Rio to me. Perhaps they have some other way of determining Standard and Daylight times.

When our Summer Daylight ends and Rio starts their 'summer' the Time Zone reads BZT. I would think it should be reversed and wonder if the program does not correct for the Southern Hemisphere and the reverse in the TIMEs from EDT for New York,or PDT for California. How many hours difference is there betweeen Rio and NY or LA, now?!

Anyway, I found these reports to be accurate and know when to go out for some real fun and when to stay home and go to bed early.

It is more then a serious hobby!

:+

Right now the U.S. and Europe are on summer (daylight saving) time and Brazil is on standard time, since it's winter here. Currently Rio is 1 hour ahead of New York and 4 hours ahead of L.A.

The standard time zone difference is 2 hours ahead of NY and 5 hours ahead of L.A. However, there are only a couple of brief periods each year when both hemispheres are on standard time. (The daylight savings time periods in the different countries don't coincide exactly.)

In the U.S. winter, when Brazil is on daylight saving time, the time difference is 3 hours ahead of NY and 6 hours ahead of L.A.

Brazil actually has 4 time zones: One for the Fernando de Noronha archipelago in the Atlantic (off the northeastern coast), the time zone that includes most of the major coastal population centers from Belem to Porto Alegre (including Rio, Brasilia and SP), a western time zone that includes Manaus and some parts of the Center-West region, and a smallish time zone that includes the far western bulge of Brazil. Also, because so much of Brazil is close to or on the Equator, many areas in the north don't have significant differences in the length of days throughout the year. For this reason, the states north of Bahia stay on standard time when the southern states go on daylight time.

Argentina is an anomaly, because it's effectively on permanent daylight saving time. Official standard time in Argentina is the same as in coastal Brazil, but it should be an hour behind Brazil because of its geographical location. Apparently Argentina moved itself ahead by one time zone many years ago and people have forgotten that it's already ahead of itself. When Argentina newly adopted daylight savings time a few years ago, it was essentially making itself 2 hours ahead of where it should be ordinarily! This works in Buenos Aires but caused havoc elsewhere in the country, especially in the far south, so now Argentina stays on "standard" time year round, although some provinces in the west have adopted time an hour behind Buenos Aires (i.e., the time Argentina actually should be using). There's occasional discussion about Argentina going back to the proper standard time zone, but it never seems to happen.

Guest msclonly

Thanks for the Current time in hours!

But what does BZD and BZT stand for, if those are Brazilian terms for their Time Zones?

I had trouble with the Oct and May trips to Rio with the correct time zones. I was getting 5 and 6 hours difference, which I thought was wrong and couldn't get it clear with Time Zones in advance of getting there. And it should NOT be that difficult. That is why I think the programs are not programmed correctly, or get the changes for Daylight Time changes correct as to the date of change.

Sometimes time zones were determined by commercial interests in the past. Many years ago, I think I remember, when Michigan went from being in the Central Time Zone to be in the Eastern Time Zone. Before that time I also think there were four time zones for the US. Michigan is on the far 'western' edge of the Eastern Time Zone, so that it is still LIGHT after 10 PM in the summer. Whereas Los Angeles darkens at 8 PM in the Summer and 4 PM in the Winter. Much Too early! LA is too close to the eastern edge of the time zone. There is even a difference between LA and SF. Of course, daylight is longer in SF in the summer. Like Anchorage and Fairbanks barely get dark in the summer.

So I can appreciate the BA, Argentina situation being out of sync with their geographical location compared to Rio. Can you feel the confusion for the airlines everytime the Time Zones change for Daylight Savings? I sort of dislike flying until the Pilots get used to the changes and differences. Now you tell me, that Brazil and the US do not alway change Time Zones on the same weekends and are out of sync for a few weeks. Just like an accordian, that expands and contracts, at different times in LA/NY and RIO/BA.

If I recall from the ancient past, there were discussions about Michigan being in sync with stock market times and General Motors, headquartered in Michigan, doing most (International) business via NY! That was when NY and GM were the center of the Universe as we knew it. Also, there was the period during WWII, when we had WAR TIME, which I think was an hour earlier, also. It looks like the center of the Universe is moving to Asia with a struggling splinter to Europe! :) We are entering into a 50 year decline, while Asia (Japan) and Europe are coming out of their 50 years of decline. Investments will do better in these latter two till 2007-2010. It has already started and Japan is waking up before Europe. Recall that migration is usually West to East in the History books, except when there was a land bridge between Russia and Alaska, many eons ago.

:+

I don't know what those abbreviations stand for. They aren't used in Brazil. Here, the coastal time zone is known as "hora de Brasilia" and the other time zones are expressed as "hora de Brasilia +1 hora" or "hora de Brasilia -2 horas."

I've found the following website to be accurate on world times (including DST changes):

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Guest msclonly

Just as I expected, the Daywatch Astro program is converting Rio to Daylight along with Daylight Savings in the US in the Northern Hemisphere.

It is +1 hour ahead of NY and +4 hours ahead of LA at THIS time.

LA is -6 hours in the winter.

Archived