THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

OPERA QUEEN ALERT

trilingual
This topic is 7302 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Tomcal_

Ah Shucks!! I dont' get into Rio until Sept. 2nd, I am going to miss it!!....now what will I do with all that extra time that I was going to devote to the opera??

Spend those boring nights knitting? And those endless days shopping for new embroidery patterns? ;)

Somehow I'm sure you'll find a way to keep yourself occupied! I'd actually probably drop dead if you really pulled yourself away from your entourage and spent an evening at the opera while in Rio! But wonders never cease!

This will be my first opera in Rio, although I've seen other events at the Theatro Municipal. The theater is a 2/3 copy (more or less) of the Paris Opera, with an ornate interior done in the finest materials money could buy at the beginning of the 20th Century. The theater was intended to be a showcase for the new Brazilian Republic.

What with the endless economic crisis, productions have been spotty. However, the Theatro Municipal is now cooperating and coproducing with the Teatro Colon in Buenos Aires, and the Municipal Theaters in Sao Paulo and Santiago (Chile), the other major houses in South America, so the productions may be of better quality. The casts are often local, or with only a few international singers, because they can't afford the fees international artists charge. That doesn't necessarily mean bad quality. I've heard a few superb all-Argentine casts in Buenos Aires and La Plata, including a truly memorable "Madama Butterfly" at the Teatro Colon three or four years ago that had the audience stamping and screaming and throwing their programs in the air when it was finished. Earlier this year I saw "L'Enfance du Christ" at the Municipal. The orchestra was better than I expected, the soloists were fine, and the chorus was simply magnificent -- as good as the San Francisco Opera or Symphony Chorus. In other words, there's more to music here than chic-a-chic-a-boom!

Guest sucker

As lovely as the opera is, why pay to see it in a theatre when you can experience it every nite in a RIO sauna. The modern day "elixir of love" is a can of RED BULL. I always pack away an extra can in my towel before a visit to a cabine. It can revive any limp organ and will bring out the virtuoso in your basso profondo!:)

Guest tetralingual

The performances at Theatro Municipal are generally quite good.Even though they not always can provide the jet-set soloists, the casts are mostly on a good level. The orchestra has become much better in the last years and the chorus is constantly improving. The house conductor is quite good and there are several international guest conductors.

The ballet is undergoing a good change. The level has improved immensely. There are also several modern dance companies performing in Rio.

Rio de Janeiro has three very good symphony orchestras which perform either at the Theatro Municipal or at the Sala Cecilia Mirelles.The concerts with Orquestra do Theatro Municipal, Orquestra Sinfonica Brasileira and Orquestra Pro - Musica do Petrobras are always advertised in O Globo and Jornal do Brasil. Just look under the

" what's on " section under " Musica classica".

There are also many recitals in Rio in various halls and museums. Here you can meet some of Brazil's best musicians and occasionally fine international soloists. Again, read the paper,or ask your hotel reception to look in the paper for you.

Unfortunatley the ticket prices are high for most Brazilians. If you don\t want to go alone, take one of your sauna boys or other boyfriends with you. Most of them have never been to an opera, ballet or concert before and I know they will love it. You will feel good knowing that you have introduced someone to something they wouldn't have had a chance to experience.

If you go alone to any of these venues, remember,the cruising is quite good !!! Perhaps, you will find your great love when you least expect it ?

RE: OPERA REVIEW

Just returned, very happy, from my first ever opera in Rio. The production of "L'Elisir d'Amore" was delightful. Strapped for cash, they opted for a simple, charming, single set, and did everything else with backdrops and lighting. The all-Brazilian A cast (some with international experience) were more than creditable. The tenor, Fernando Portari, brought down the house with "Una furtiva lagrima." For the first time in my experience they stopped the show so he could repeat it, perhaps even more ravishingly than the first time around! The chorus, with a huge part in this opera, was outstanding. The Dulcamara and Belcore were fine. My only real quibble was with the Adina of Rosana Lamosa. She is very pretty, vivacious and convincing in the part, and has a lovely but very small voice that tended to get swallowed up by the orchestra and the other singers, who were louder than she was. Of course, this is also partly the responsibility of the director and conductor, who need to make some adjustments so she can be heard. Other than that, though, the orchestra also was fine, and it's a real treat for an American to hear opera in a smallish, traditional European-style house.

The evening was such a pleasure that I'm strongly tempted to go back to hear the second cast. And if subsequent productions are at this level, it will be worth your while to attend the opera in Rio if there are performances while you're here.

Guest tetralingual

I am glad that you had a good time at the Theatro Municipal. I have always enjoyed the performances there,even though sometimes the quality isn't like the Met or La Scala.The atmosphere in this beautiful theater is wonderful and makes up for the occasional mishaps of a live performance. I wish for everyone to experience it.

Since you now have been to the opera and obviously like music, you really should go to the many chamber music concerts and the symphony concerts. Look in Jornal do Brasil or O Globo and you will find all the listings.

Cultural life in Rio is very much alive - not only in the saunas !

Rio is brimming with cultural activities: music, theater and art. As you mentioned, the cultural sections of Globo and Jornal do Brasil have listings. On Fridays, both papers have pull-out magazines with listings for the following week. On Sunday, the newsweekly Veja also comes out with a separate events supplement for Rio.

Over the years I've seen a number of things in Rio. Opera wasn't one of them for scheduling reasons. There aren't many performances (right now only four operas are scheduled each year at the Municipal) and my visits didn't coincide. There are other scheduling problems, too: because of the vagaries of economics, politics, labor-relations, artist availability, etc. program schedules in South America are what you could call "flexible." Best-laid plans are often changed. "Elisir" was originally scheduled for September, but ended up being in August (lucky for me because I will be gone in September). It could just as easily have ended up being in October. So you've got to just go with the flow, knowing that a trip scheduled around a particular event may not go exactly as planned. But there's almost always something going on, so if you're interested in things besides the saunas just check the entertainment/cultural supplements and enjoy all that Rio has to offer.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping reviews continue. It makes me wish I was back there.

Just before I left Rio in February I toured the Teatro Municipal, which was under renovation. Even with all the scaffolding, you could tell it was lovely.

And, to hear of the upcoming re-opening of that amazing downstairs restaurant space is even better news.

Enjoy the arts season!

Archived