THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

My Recent Rio Trip

Guest BeguiledTraveler
This topic is 7360 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest BeguiledTraveler

Back from Rio for one week, and musing about my time spent there.

I spent a total of three weeks in South America - 10 days in Argentina and the remainder in Rio.

Although this is my third trip to Rio, this is the first time that I spent time with other M4M'ers, and assorted Rio experts.

So in no particular order - some thank you's:

TriLingual: For the wealth of information on Brasil, and for getting many of us started on our Brasilian adventures!

Gulliver: One of the nicest guys you will every meet! Enjoy Europe and Budapest!

Jake: What a rolodex! An expert on Rio, Sauna Boys, and great places for breakfast! (And by the way - looking good!)

Driver: My fellow partner in the suanas - never planned. Our schedules seemed to be in sync on many Rio evenings.

Francisco: Ipanema travel companion - thank you!

TomCal: What can I say? The legend is true............

Many others I met as well - overall a great, fun group of guys.

I am sorting out my numerous pics from my trip - once complete, am happy to share "G" rated and "Adult" rated pics with the board.

Although I started my stay this time in the Royal Rio, I had unsatisfactory experiences, and after two nights, moved back to the Atlantico Hotel.

Am happy to share stories, sauna experiences, overnights with sauna boys, my time at Le Boy (Stating I would leave at 2am, but stayed until 4:30am!) but much of it has been said already by other posters.

I ventured outside Copa and Ipanema much more on this trip - Petropolis, Centro, North, etc. Just a small taste of what Brasil has to offer.

For those who read the postings, and wonder if what is stated is true -

YES! It is all true! Don't just dream about it - book a trip now.

You will not regret it!

BeguiledTraveler-- I plan to be in RIo in October and desire to book a room at the Royal Rio since I've already lodged at the Atlantico on two other occasions! Would you care to divulge the problems that you encountered at the RR, thus saving and sparing us of undergoing similar difficulties?

Guest BeguiledTraveler

Already rec'd some e-mails about my experience at the Royal Rio so let me explain my situation.

I checked into the Royal Rio around 7pm. I paid for a deluxe room, which is just below the price of the Presidential Suites. (Around $R240). The first room they gave me had two double beds. Since I asked for a King Bed, I asked to be moved to another room. They moved my into a corner room - very small and tight. The beds are nice, the bathroom is basic - clean room, but nothing special.

When I asked about the size of the room, they offered to show my their next two regular categories: Standard Rooms and Superior Rooms. They looked like my room! Same amenities, size, etc. When I inquired why my room was considered deluxe for the higher price, they stated it was because it had a King Bed instead of Two Doubles. In all my years of (weekly) travel, I have never heard of such a reason for price differences.

The next morning I went upstairs to take advantage of the rooftop pool - it was drained and being repaired. The gym was closed for repair and off-limits. After several discussions with the hotel, I decided to move back to the Atlantico. For $R20 less, I received a suite. I know what to expect at the Atlantico - as a matter of fact, when I first walked into the hotel to inquire about rooms, the front desk personnel remembered me and my name, and asked why I was not staying with them.

I ended up staying only two nites at the Royal Rio - moved back to the Atlantico for the remainder of my visit.

End results: Rooms are nice at the Royal Rio - I just had the feeling I was being "ripped off", and decided to say adios!

I had almost exactly the same experience, only I paid $R190.00(plus 15%). When I checked in with Wan Hallen, I explicitly advised the front desk that I wanted a king sized bed. When the very goodlooking bellboy got us to the room, it had two double beds, that basically took up the entire room. I had the bellboy call the front desk and was moved to a corner room, just as you described. Very quickly Wan Hallen figured out that the TV had a problem, and it took a couple of hours to get that fixed. Wan Hallen was getting nervous as novela time was rapidly approaching. The bottom line was both Wan Hallen and myself both preferred the Atlantico.

Wan Hallen just called me. He is taking English classes 3 times a week, for 2 hours each session. He is back at home with his mother and says all is well. There is a plane for Houston (connect to Sao Paulo) in 2 hours and I have to really restrain myself from getting on it. He told me that he loves me and is only said because we are so far apart. I know that most of you think that I am crazy, but the bottom line is that I am a big boy with experience, and Wan Hallen makes me feel good again. As the Master Card ad says, for me, that is "priceless".

Guest msclonly

Royal Rio

I just tried to connect to the website for the Royal Rio, that TDHhguy sent me back in March and could NOT connect at the present time.

Does anyone have the correct Web address?

I am thinking of going during Carnaval. The rates quoted by a travel agency seems high for a single at about $175.00 compared to their current rates. Perhaps Carlos could quote better rates.

Are the saunas TOO busy during Carnaval to have a good time or does a lot of new talent show up to satisfy the tourists. I hope their tips are not as inflated as the Hotel rates!

I found the a/c and water at the Atlantico made for an unhealthy visit. Got a rough sinus and lung infection. It lasted so long, that I started to think it was Legionaire's Diseas.

:+

RE: Royal Rio

The Royal Rio website is http://www.royalrio.com and it was working a moment ago. The rate you quoted is a lot higher than the one Carlo just got for me in October, but the rates do rise quite a bit for Carnaval. I too have had problems with the AC at the Atlantico. I can totally understand those that prefer the Atlantico but for me, I like the more modern aspect of the Royal. I also don't bring a lot of guys back to the hotel so the fact that the Royal charges for this doesn't upset me. When the Atlantico was cheaper, it was OK because you were getting a bargain but now that they've raised their prices, I prefer the Royal. I have to admit, though, that it was more fun when all of us M4Mers were staying in the same hotel. SF Traveler

msclonly, when I was in Rio during Carnaval of 2003, the four saunas that I visited were NOT overwhelmingly crowded. I went to Club117, Pointe 303 (which had recently opened), Estacao, and the then Roger's (which was virtually deadsville). So, come and enjoy!! Axiom

...sorry to address the rates for a "good time" with the "boys"! The going rate was R$50, but some of the guys tried to get R$100 whenever possible. Because of my polite adamance, it was principally R$50 plus tip (if I'd indeed been satisfied)!

>msclonly, when I was in Rio during Carnaval of 2003, the four

>saunas that I visited were NOT overwhelmingly crowded. I went

>to Club117, Pointe 303 (which had recently opened)

Pointe 303 ? -would that be up the street from Pointe 202 ? {grin}

:-) :-)

Guest msclonly

Carnaval and saunas

Maybe the guys are out partying during Carnaval and have little time for the saunas. But I would expect a lot new out of town faces and bodies to come to work in Rio during Carnaval.

Archived