THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Curujinha's Bad Experience

Guest Jake
This topic is 7375 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Jake

Wanted to relate an event last night at the hangout. Regulars are very aware of the one duo doing the capoheira/bottle kicking gig almost every night for the last year or so. In the beginning it was interesting and kinda cute and I shilled out a little money a number of times in support of the local economy/floor show. As it got more repetetive and the tamborine/money-collecting guy (the kicker) got more intrusive, I began declining to contribute. Last night after politely declining to shell out three times I thought the guy was gone(the show is now like a picture on the wall - I no longer notice it but am more absorbed in conversation with friends). But, as Ivan put my acconta (bill) on the table and I was pulling my money out, the guy slaps the tamborine down on top of the bill. Getting really pissed, I shoved it aside and went on paying the bill. The guy then stands on the sidewalk in front of our table threatening me with his fist, etc. for the better part of five minutes with his partner, Ivan and one of the managers trying to calm the situation down while I'm asking why they let him on the premises any more as aggressive as he's become in attempting to intimidate people into contributing to his cause. This smiling, cheery guy is nothing but a thug underneath and I hope that those of you who frequent the place don't allow yourselves to be intimidated into contribution. Nuff said.

Guest Jake

The security guy has not been on the scene - at least not working - for the better part of a year. On the odd occasion when he's around, he's gotten more than a little strange - I haven't decided whether it's mental problems or substance problems or some combination.

I also want to make clear that I certainly don't object to street performers or the frequency of their shows - I think they provide a neat part of the Corujinha's experience especially for new and less frequent visitors. What I DO object to, and think should be resisted by all, is the intimidation factor whether by these guys, the samba musicians (good or very bad), the shoeshine boys who start an uninvited shine, etc., etc.

Guest msclonly

I have to agree, that the 'show' has outlived it's usefullness as entertainment. It can be dangerous to the people standing on the other side of street, where the bottles go flying. Ever hear the smack it makes on the cars? In May, I believe a bottle hit a gal standing against the wrought iron fence, while her boyfriend tried to get her out of the way.

The paper squares of soy bites gets too repetitive, as well as, the shoe shines, when my shoes don't take or need a shine!

About the only thing, that can be done is have the restaurant or customers stop encourageing them. But more imput from the locals are needed.

}(

Archived