THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Dominican Republic

ohgwm226
This topic is 7298 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When are the high and low seasons in the Dominican Republic? I am really thinking very seriously about going after I return from Brasil (This trip will take place in October of this year if all goes as anticipated!)

After reading everything that has been provided at this site, more than likely I'll stay a little over a week. I'd like to partake in the cultural attributes of the Dominican Republic, too. Are their bilingual guides available, gay or otherwise? I'd appreciate information here.

I shall continue to do google searches, etc. to seek additional information.

Currently the price from Miami is $375 RT via Dutch Carribean Airways which I took from United.com.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest LatinoRican

Hotel prices remain basically the same all year around while in some other places they may go up or down depending on 'high' or 'low' seasons. There are, however, more gay tourists at the bars/discos during certain times like Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.

I have never had the need to hire a guide, but the Monaga website (monaga.com) does advertise their own under 'Airport Transfers. It also includes their prices for different tours. The site in general is pretty complete and gives you a good idea of what there is to see.

The three most visited bars/discos (JD, Parios, A-Club) are within walking distance of each other. JD and Parios are on the same street and from Parios you can easily walk to A-Club which is owned by Monaga too. Everybody tends to wander from one to the other depending on what the offerings are on that particular night.

Happy hunting!

Everything LatinoRican said is exactly right. In addition to the bars/clubs he mentioned, make sure to go to Bar Phoenix also. If you're looking for hustlers (bugarrones), this is the bar to go to. It's seedy and certainly not as nice as the other places, but it serves it's purpose well. They're open earlier than the other places, and it's a good place to start off the night. It's opens at 7:00 and gets going good by 9:00-10:00. They close at 1:00am, when the other spots are starting to hop.

As far as off-season, what LatinoRican said is true. The hotels don't change their prices much from season to season. My experience has been the slowest season is September and October. Basically, after Labor Day and until Thanksgiving. Although these are American holidays and not celebrated by Dominicans, a lot of the gay tourists are from the U.S., especially my hometown - New York City. But be forewarned that during this time the bars and clubs can tend to be quite dead on some nights. But I've always kind of liked going during this time because there are not a lot of other gay tourists around, and I can be the star! :7 The bugarrones will be clamoring for your business because you may be one of the few games in town.

I also recommend Monaga for a tour guide. Their driver, Jose, is very knowledgeable about the country, and he's bi-lingual. He is not, however, gay. But he knows the gay scene well, and has no problem with anyone. He's also not much of a looker, so use him for his tour guide services, but don't expect other things. He can point you in the right direction and give you all the contacts for all that. As well as the gay scene, he can show you the cultural side of the town too. To my knowledge, Monaga is currently the only established gay tour operator in town.

Many thanks to all respondents to my queries. The other night I was really "pumped" about DR, as well as now, and spent almost five hours searching everything at this particular site as well as the links that the Monaga site provided.

I received some info. from http://www.santo-domingo-gay-tourism.com. This site provided a "Tour Guide Concierge & Security Service" apparently provided by Freddy, exclusively for the gay vacationer... I'll use all of the information that I've received and begin to make arrangements for probably an early to mid December visit. :9

The reason I recommend Casa de Monaga but stayed at the Duque de Wellington is this. My novio in Santo Domingo and the owner of Monaga don't get along so well. The owner of Monaga (Anthony) is a wonderful person and the reasons the two of them don't get along is strictly a disagreement between the two of them and has absolutely nothing to do with Monaga or it's businesses.

I still recommend Casa de Monaga.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I visited the Monaga website a few weeks back, I missed a lot. Tonight I went to it again. To my amazement and joy, there is a wealth of information contained here as stated by a previous respondee; the photo gallery is chalked full of men of all types: colors, sizes, etc. Hot, hot, hot.......!

Currently, I do not know if I want to go in December or later. In one of my four guide books about the DR, the Footprints one in particular. I found information regarding seasons: high and low. and other invaluable ,material. I don't want to go when it's too touristy, and I do not want to go when the prices have been elevated. But, although I am in a slight dillema, I, more than likely will venture to this area before the end of 2004.

Thanks to all of the men here who wrote helpful data for us who are indeed curious!

Archived