THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Using Frequent Flyer miles to Rio

Guest Tomcal_
This topic is 7464 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Tomcal_

I recently used miles to reserve first/business class to Rio for upcoming trips in May and June. On American it varied from 90,000 to 250,000 miles!! for a first class ticket, on the same flights. It pays to keep going back to their site each day and re inputting the flights you want in. I just confirmed a flight for june, LA to Miami to Rio(my usual routing) last week they wanted 180,000 for it, today it dropped to 90,000. If I wanted to go through JFK/NYC since that's a 777 sleeper bed , they wanted premium, 250,000 miles. Although last time I did this route it was 125,000. A coach ticket is usually 40,000.

Continental does the same thing, I used them last October and the first few times I tried they wanted 140,000 then it dropped to 70,000 for just a day.

Guest Tomcal_

>TomCal,I am hoping to have enough miles to upgrade to biz

>class next march-what has been your experience using miles for

>such an upgrade.

On American, it takes 25,000 miles to upgrade each way, no matter what the price of your ticket. American just changed their rules about a month ago, this way if you buy a "consolidator ticket" , prior to last month you couldn't upgrade it, now you can. Since the routing is usually L.A. Miami Rio, well worth it!! you arrive rested each way as both are overnight flights.

Guest Tomcal_

>Is anyone willing to sell me 40,000 miles for a good price?

What airline? the rough part is detirmining a "good price"? A first class ticket L.A. to Rio is currently $5,500. coach is around 750 - 900.

GoingtoRio,you really should explore maximizing your frequentflyer benifits.I just earned 9,000 miles for sending Easter flowers!Since xmas I have earned over 30,000 miles-only 4,500 of which were "butt in the seat"miles-I just wish someone had told me about this stuff sooner.

These are all on United-I wonder if they have matched AA's very gemerous upgrade policy.

Guest msclonly

I was able to BOOK a Standard award in BF for 70,000 miles for

May 22 much to my surprise. Usually I upgrade a Coach ticket with miles, and get most of the miles back from the paid Coach portion plus any Elite Bonus miles. Not very expensive to fly in International BusFirst. Actually with the stopover in NYC on the return to SAN, it is a bargain.

Miles are valued at around 0.02 cents a mile!

If you get more miles for your 0.02 cents, they are a nice bonus.

Possible sometimes on some routes.

Time is getting close and have to start planning the next trip.

:+ :9 :+

One can get a coach ticket from Miami to Rio for approximately $595 to 600+ low season. Try some online travel agents, such as, YesTravel.net (Ask for Juan.) and/or Brol.com. Both agencies specialize in South American travel. When I do my trip again-- Miami to Buneos Aires--Rio--Sao Paulo to Miami, I'm getting an airline deal through YesTravel. The airline will be United which is ok with me; they're partners with TAM or Varig, I think!

I know this thread was about miles and not ticket prices; GoingtoRio might do better just buying a ticket in coach outright, but then again, he might buy miles for an upgrade from coach to business/first class! I thought I'd write this before someone else wrote a curt retort!:-)

Archived