THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Uh-oh! A new delay for arrivals to Brazil

imrthr
This topic is 7479 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I received an e-mail from a friend who arrived Friday in Sao Paulo. He was delayed several hours waiting to get through immigration. This is because the Federal Police have gone out on strike as of last Wednesday.

Spokesmen for the officers said that the duration of the strike is “indefinite.” Brazilian civilians processed immigration arrivals when my friend went through the system. My friend said they were disorganized and acted like the “keystone cops” while they processed arrivals.

As my friend did not go through Rio, he is not aware of how long it takes to get through immigration there.

I leave for Rio in a few days. Oh, well - grin and bear it so we are told.

An excerpt of a BBC news article discussing the strike follows:

"TYPE=PICT;ALT=Brazilian Federal police hand in their guns before going on strike"Federal officers hand in their guns and walk off the job - -"

"There have been major delays at airports across Brazil after more than 8,000 federal police officers began an indefinite strike for higher pay."

"Foreign passengers arriving at Sao Paulo airport have had to queue for up to three hours for immigration checks."

"Ordinary police work is not affected, but the stoppage is likely to affect investigations into corruption and organized crime."

"The police want an 85% pay rise, which the government says it cannot afford." "Strike organizers said most of the force was expected to observe the stoppage, although the federal police will still deal with emergencies."

"The strike is the first major challenge to President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva's administration over public sector pay and could become a test of nerve, says the BBC's Steve Kingstone in Sao Paulo."

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're supposed to be fingerprinted everytime you enter the country. Just like the U.S. fingerprints almost all foreigners (including Brazilians) on each entry.

No news on the strike so far. It's a pain, because it's the Federal Police that also stamp passports and retrieve the second sheet of the tourist card when you LEAVE the country, so the lines leaving can be as long as the ones arriving. There's talk of an agreement, especially because the strike has had a high level of participation, but there's nothing definite yet. I hope it ends soon, though!

It's not just U.S. citizens who are affected--it's everyone including Brazilians returning to their country. The issue is not just pay rise but Lula's plans to reform social security by increasing the retirement age of federal workers. Under the current system, retired federal workers continue to receive their full salary until they die; if the spouse survives him/her, then the spouse will continue to collect until he/she dies. The other outrageous thing is retired federal workers can apply for his/her same position, thus collecting double salary. These and others are what Lula's government is attempting to reform.

Yes, please let us know if there are long delays and/or other problems! I am leaving for Rio in a couple of weeks and hope that entry will not be a terrible pain! Anyone recently enter Brazil through Rio? What was it like? Thanks!!

RE: Yet Another Delay Imposed

The Brasilian authorities have been reading this forum and they have now instigated a new checkpoint for entry to Rio. All gay males must have an inspection of their anus to determine if it is large enough to accomodate the enormous Brasilian cock. Too many accidents have been reported and the authorities have decided to nip the problem right there at immigration and refuse entry to tightasses!

Following my comments is an article that appeared in Financial Times this morning.

I leave for my sixth visit to Brazil today. After such a long flight it is discouraging to realize that upon arrival, nonsense of this sort is waiting for me and all other travelers to Brazil.

We Americans must like Brazil a great deal considering the hurdles we must overcome, such as a required visa to go to Brazil, getting fingerprinted and photographed when we arrive and now this obstacle. If Brazil were not such a grand place, would we put up with these events while trying to visit a different country?

Here is the article:

Brazil police dispute brings chaos to airports

By Raymond Colitt in São Paulo

Published: March 16 2004 4:00 | Last Updated: March 16 2004 4:00

Brazilian federal police officers protested outside the justice ministry on Monday as part of a strike that signals worsening relations between public sector workers and the leftwing government.

The week-long dispute has caused havoc at the country's international airports, the main focus of the industrial action.

Instead of a complete work stoppage, the police have adopted what local media have dubbed "turtle operation" for the delays caused by their meticulous scrutiny of documents and baggage.

The action - involving 70 per cent of the country's 10,000 officers - is indicative of growing dissatisfaction among public sector workers towards the government of President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, himself a former union leader.

During his election campaign Mr Lula da Silva had promised to restore "dignity" to public sector workers with wage increases and more job opportunities. "We are just holding Lula to his promise," said Francisco Carlos Sabino, head of the São Paulo chapter of the federal police union. Instead, wages have fallen in real, or inflation-adjusted terms, and unemployment has risen.

Several unions have until now put off industrial action and grudgingly accepted last year's unpopular benefits cuts in exchange for promises of economic growth.

But with increasing uncertainty over this year's economic recovery and with municipal elections in October, unions are ready to step up industrial action.

The opposition-linked Força Sindical, one of the largest union federations, is holding nationwide protests on March 24 against economic policies and rising unemployment. In addition, the six largest union federations on Monday launched a campaign to back reforms reducing the legal work week from 44 to 40 hours without cutting pay.

Adding to recent criticism from union and industrial leaders, Valdemar Costa Neto, head of the Liberal party, a coalition partner, on Monday made an unusually harsh attack on Antonio Palocci, finance minister. "Palocci knows nothing about the economy, he's still learning," he said.

The strike has provoked public anger. "This is scandalous," said one businessman. "The government and police should be helping us, not keeping us from work."

The police are demanding the enforcement of legislation passed eight years ago, which grants them more pay in exchange for higher education requirements. PF officers take home about R$3,400 ($1,173, €959, £650) a month, compared with a minimum wage of R$240.

I just came from there. Getting into and out of the country was a breeze and all the yahoo's who are whining about the photo / finger print process are just not seasoned travelers.

Folks, this is going to start happening everywhere - in every country on every means of transportation because there are crazy people out there.

I get to the airport to fly from New York to Boston two or three hours early and I do not complain.

I find it interesting that at EWR (New York's Newark) they make me take out my computers and take off my shoes and belt, but at GRU(Sao Paulo) and LGW(London Gatwick) they do not.

There is no consistency and it is all to make the passenger feel safe.

I could care less....I figure we are all going to be dead in the next couple of years because there are people out there who have no respect for life and think they can blow themselves up and go to a better place.

In fact, I was sitting at the table next to some in an upscale restaurant in Hong Kong today.

So enjoy your life while you can because we are out of control and when you don't have any control over the situation you have two choices:

1. Drive yourself crazy

2. Find something funny about it and move on down the line.

The party is over.

So it was written. So it shall be done.

__

The above written as a regular guy, not the owner of a website and has no official meaning, just unofficial BS.)

__

--garbo the hoo

RE: Yet Another Delay Imposed

That is really funny. You should be a stand up comedian...or maybe you already are.

__

The above written as a regular guy, not the owner of a website and has no official meaning, just unofficial BS.)

__

--garbo the hoo

??? "I just came from there. Getting into and out of the country was a breeze and all the yahoo's who are whining about the photo / finger print process are just not seasoned travelers." ???

This thread has nothing to do with security measures or about whining about entry fingerprinting. It is about the new multi-hour delays into and out of Brazil caused by the federal immigration police undertaking a major slowdown strike to pressure Lula. The new delays have caused many people -- even "seasoned travelers" as well as "yahoos" -- to miss connections into and out of Brazil.

If anyone has really managed to "breeze" out of Brazil in the midst of this strike, please share your tips and tricks with us! (Which policemen are passivo, etc.?)

Sorry...I don't think it's worth it to go there for any reason.

I will graciously bow out of the thread.

__

__

--garbo the hoo

I thank you for sharing the article with us! I do wish that some impatient Americanos would begin to adapt to unpleasant adventures as well as pleasant ones! Adapting would decrease the level of stress experienced when things do not go as wished!

A few months ago I traveled from San Jose, CA to some place.

The check-in line was almost a mile long; did folks bitch, complain, and moan and groan? I venture to say, yes! They took it on the chin and went along with the airport personnel who were in charge of this delay!

Axiom, giving order, in caps, to "adapt"?

I'm equally puzzled by your remark...

"I do wish that some impatient Americanos

would begin to adapt to unpleasant adventures

as well as pleasant ones! Adapting would

decrease the level of stress experienced

when things do not go as wished!"

Excuse me, but aren't you the fellow who cancelled your trip to Salvador, Parati, Iguacu Falls, and Sao Paulo after not adapting to Brazil after just a few days in Rio?

With all due respect, I would think that you, of all people, would want to be a bit more charitable toward those of us who are simply comparing notes on a current travel issue -- rather than issuing orders regarding "adaptability"! :)

RE: DON'T MISS YOUR FLIGHT!

Until further notice (i.e., the strike ending) travelers are being warned to be at the Brazilian airport at least FOUR hours before their flight times to avoid missing their plane because of the long lines for exit processing. Some days it doesn't take as long, but there are times when only one federal policeman is on duty and all the international flights tend to leave around the same time in the evening, so lines can be very slow.

Tonight's news reported that the cops plan to stop their fine-tooth-comb review of every passenger, so that may speed things up. The strikers have made their point and pissed off the public. This doesn't just affect foreigners, it also affects Brazilians, because EVERYONE has to be processed entering and leaving the country.

It's not clear what's going to happen with the strike in the long-term. The government is hanging tough, and there isn't tons of public sympathy. The federal police are already VERY well paid by Brazilian standards (starting salary of about R$4000/mo. which would go to nearly R$8000/mo. if they get what they're demanding). Federal employees of other agencies, with similar educational requirements, start at much lower salaries. The Navy was just advertising vacancies of similar positions requiring university education starting at around R$1200/mo.! So there are huge differentials in pay, even within the federal bureaucracy, and support for these guys is thin. Also, their jobs aren't that dangerous, compared to the military police (PM) which does the bulk of the gruntwork police work in Brazil. Their recruits also get paid less than R$1200/mo. to start, and they're constantly getting killed in the drug wars. So, the strike may start to fizzle before long.

The PF did win some brownie points a couple of days ago because their close scrutiny campaign netted a former senator who's a billionaire real-estate developer responsible for a high-rise apartment building in Barra that collapsed a couple of years ago, killing eight people and ruining the lives of many others. The creep can well afford to pay off the judgements against him, but has spent the past few years using every trick in the book to avoid it. Apparently he filed phony papers in court about a real estate transaction to avoid seizure of the property to pay off the judgements, and the court got wise. An arrest warrant was issued and the creep's passport was cancelled. The PF caught him in Porto Alegre as he was trying to charter a plane to Montevideo. The nation was treated to the sight of ex-Senator Billionaire handcuffed and literally stuffed into the luggage area of a station wagon as he was dragged off! Brazilians still aren't accustomed to the sight of the rich and powerful falling prey to the police, so folks were pretty thrilled about this, and it was all due to the police campaign of examining every last document to slow things down! But the charm of that wears off when thousands of law-abiding citizens also are inconvenienced.

So stay tuned for the latest developments. Meanwhile, be sure to get to the airport early to avoid missing your flight home!

Guest msclonly

BE GRATEFUL, NOT ANGRY!

Be thankful, that articles and publicity like the above makes many tourists cancel their trips and less people for you to have to wait to clear Customs and Immigration ahead of you! That really speeds things up.

Also, there is LESS competition, when you get to your favorite DELI to pick out the fresh fruit, that you flew so far to get.

:+

Encouraging Reuters Update

I changed my domestic connection to São Paulo

yesterday to increase my 80 minute window

(prior to my flight back to the states) to the

next option which will mean 5.5 hours at the

airport! (Had to cajole Varig to waive the

rebooking fee.)

Today I see this Reuters story suggesting the

"go slow" strike will soon be suspended, but

it is vague has to just how soon.

Can we get 117 to open a branch at Guarulhos?

BRASILIA, Brazil, March 17 (Reuters) - Striking Brazilian federal police said on Wednesday they would suspend go-slow operations that have caused massive delays at airports in a move to show goodwill as they bargain for higher pay.

The strike by more than 7,000 of Brazil's top police force has stalled investigations into organized crime and reduced controls at borders.

Its most visible impact has been delays of up to four hours at Brazil's main international airports, where the federal police handle immigration services. The go-slow at airports meant staff levels were at just a third of normal levels.

The strike, which started on March 9, could prove a test of the center-left government's will to control public sector wages, with union leaders threatening a general strike unless the government enters pay negotiations with other groups of workers.

Fernando Honorato, a police investigator who is president of the Federal Police Union in the capital, said the strikers would suspend the go-slow at airports until Monday in a move to show they are open to dialogue with the government.

The Justice Ministry issued a statement late on Tuesday calling the salary demands by the striking federal police agents illegal. On Wednesday, President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva called them "unreal."

Honorato said that if the government "continues to talk these absurdities we will restart the (go-slow) operation, but even slower."

The strikers want salary increases of about 50 percent, which the union says they are entitled to in accordance with a change in the law in 1996.

Ordinary police work such as patrolling the streets has not been disrupted by the strike as such tasks are carried out by other civil and military police forces.

03/17/04 13:44 ET

LOL BillyZ, I did change my plans the first time that I visited BRASIL; it was far too overwhelming for me. And I am the least apologetic in doing so. I made the right decision! But, I might inform you that I returned three months later and experienced fifteen glorious days in Rio during Carnaval. In October of 2003, I returned to the places to which you alluded and had one hell of a forever memorable experience.

And by the way, during Carnaval, my friend and I waited in the line for almost three hours with hundreds of others. The crowd of folks assembled was cool. Enough said... Let us agree to disagree!

RE: Encouraging Reuters Update

I highly recommend you have a long cushion of time if you have any connecting flights in Brazil. On Monday, March 15th I had a 2.5 hour window between a Varig flight from Rio and a Continental flight back to the US. Varig chose to sit on the tarmac in Rio as passengers on the flight were stuck in a 2 to 3 hour line in the airport. (I had arrived at the airport four hours early to make it through the line). By the time the Varig flight arrived in Sao Paulo my Continental flight was ready to depart and I would never have made it through immigration until well after midnight. Varig did pay for my hotel and meals. Varig also minimized the extent of the problems with the slowdown in Rio. In Sao Paulo they were much more up front in telling me to arrive at the airport at least six hours in advance of my flight! I was number two in line at Continental and spent 3.5 hours in line for immigration. Incoming passengers reported five to six hour waits! The Continental flight to Newark waited 45 minutes and left some 30 passengers in line as they would have been unable to make various connecting flights had they delayed the flight any longer. The situation is UGLY. I personally witnessed some very irate passengers in both Rio and Sao Paulo. If you are venturing down to Rio during this strike take plently of junk food with you and a good sense of humor. You will need ample quantities of both!

RE: Encouraging Reuters Update

Alan, after reading about your experiences, I must rescind what I wrote previously. The slowdown/strike in Brasil amongst some of the employees is more serious than one's just adapting to the situation.

Thanks for enlightening us about the severity of the problem as it exists in Rio and Sao Paulo.

Ax, now that you have "rescinded" your prior

"adaptation" injunctions on this topic, I see

no disagreement for us to need to "agree to

disagree" about.

As for your having successfully overcome

your initial experience in Brazil that was

"far too overwhelming" for you, that is

outstanding!

Archived