THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Rio hotels with American-sized beds?

lagoon
This topic is 7490 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Can anybody comment on that? Through my own painful experience at Hotel Vermont Ipanema I found that Brazillian beds are twin sized, and they just put two of those together to sell you as a double.... It was such a pain with those beds splitting apart during the heated moments:). I am planning to stay in Ipanema again this time, just in case... read messages below... Will greatly appreciate any info on Ipanema Mar, Ipanema Inn..... I know, for the cost of a suite at Atlantico you get just a 2-3 star standard room in Ipanema....

Guest rampo

Did you ever say anything to the front desk? Were they really twin beds or two full - I've never been in a hotel that had what we in the US call twin beds.

I stayed at the Copacabana Mar and had a king bed, but I often travel to Thailand and sometimes wind up in a room with two full beds. Usually there are latches on the bed frames where the two can be locked together and, if they don't have available rooms with larger beds, a simple request to the front desk gets this accomplished. It helps to specify "big bed" (it might help to learn the Portuguese equivalent)- most hoteliers in non-english speaking countries understand what you are talking about.

Hotels with twin beds are common in Brazil and elsewhere in Latin America, especially older hotels. If you want a real double bed, you'll have to reserve a double room (and pay somewhat extra) at many places. In Portuguese, a double bed is a "cama de casal" and you can ask at the desk if your room has one before you take it. Newer hotels offer double beds or larger. As to why someone would spend more to stay in an indifferent or uncomfortable room in Ipanema when they could have a much nicer room at a better quality hotel in Copacabana for the same amount or less, I can't really understand that. But different strokes. . .

I second the recommendation to check with Carlo rather than rely on chance for finding an acceptable hotel. Carlo and other local travel agents know the local hotels and can steer you to the right places if you tell them in advance exactly what you're looking for (area, type of room, price range, etc.).

Archived