THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

From a frog to a Prince in my Apartment in Rio

Big Daddy
This topic is 7500 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have rented a 3 bedroom apartment, which is located on the 22nd floor of Morada do Sul. It is a very large apartment complex that is 3 blocks from Leme/Cobacabana. Anyone interested in seeing the unit can go to http://www.rentinrio.com. The owner is an American who lives in NYC, and is gay. He first went to Rio in the early 80's. I finally decided to go with the apartment as not only is it cheaper for both George and myself than the Atlantico, but it has many advantages. For example, it has a computer and Internet access, a local telephone, maid service and security. We are paying about $12 a day less than what we would pay at the Atlantico. I will however be at the Atlantico for the first two days, as the apartment is not avaialble until May 2nd.

Wan Hallen called me this morning from Brazil and it made my day. He usually calls me every other week, mainly to tell me that I am very special. It is hard communicating via the phone, but at least he makes me feel connected to him. I am arriving in Rio on April 30th and he wanted to know if we were going to stay at the Atlantico or the apartment. He said it would be easier for him to find me at the Atlantico, which it will be. He is planning on returning to Rio on the 29th, a day ahead of me. He asked me to bring him a Lakers T shirt, as he is a big fan. Wan Hallen is a big boy, especially in Brazil. He is unusual in that futbol (soccer) is not his sport. He loves Baskeetchball, at least that is how basketball sounds to me in Portuguese.

The owner of the apartment posts the following regarding safety in Rio. It could have been written by Tri. Am posting it, as it is good reading, with very sound advice.

RIO DE JANEIRO SAFETY TIPS

If you are going to Rio, or considering it, you probably have heard that Rio has a rep for crime. Rio is a big city as well as a resort town, and like all big cities, it has its share of crime. But it can be avoided if you accept as a principle that you simply must carry yourself differently than you would at home. After all, you are a Gringo (in Brazil, this word applies to everyone from North America, Europe and Australia for that matter) and you probably won't be able to hide it. Part of what appeals to so many tourists is the special status they get from being Gringo.

I'm a New Yorker. In my city I have learned to carry myself a certain way. I don't gape at big buildings. I don't stare people down. I walk purposefully. I cross the street if I see something strange. I don't even think about it and I rarely feel endangered. It just comes naturally. I have had to learn the way to carry oneself in Rio in yet a different way over a long time. Don't think that you can learn it in one trip.

When you step off the plane in Rio you are magically converted from a frog to a Prince - two inches taller, three times as wealthy, much sexier and infinitely more interesting. You don't have the lay of the land, and all of this new-found interest in you might be very seductive. The problem is that all good things have a flip-side and Princes can be converted back to frogs in an instant. Try to bear this in mind.

Here are some of the best tips that I can give you to stay safe in Rio.

1. Don't bring people you do not know back to your hotel or apartment. If you are staying in a decent hotel, they probably will not permit it anyway. Brazilians will generally not bring people home right away. They will often take their prospective romantic encounters to the little hotels that are all over Rio. These hotels rent by the two hour period and they are common for a reason. The dynamic is this: The hotels are there and used because people live with their families, or are possibly cheating on a spouse, or simply want to get to know someone before trusting them alone in their home AND people don't take other people (man or woman) home right away because the hotels are there, cheap and convenient and they don't have to take them home. Gringos have a hard time relating to this. They think it unromantic and restrictive or an insult to their potential partner to show a lack of trust. Get over it! When in Rio you have to do as the Cariocas (Rio natives) do.

If the love of your life whom you have just met on the beach or in a bar is actually an evil-doing wicked witch bent on turning you back into a frog, she or he can find a way of doing it. You may be 6'5" and they may be 5'5" and they can still find a way if there is enough around to make it worth their while. You will not be protected by a safe, or by the fact that your friends will be following you home shortly. The hard core schemer knows ways around this. (We'll talk about avoiding Rio's famous sleeping potions, yes - sleeping potions, in hint #2.) In your hotel or apartment they know that know that there will be passports and credit cards, cash and cameras, laptops and palm computing devices, video cameras and travelers checks. The value of your stuff can solve a lot of problems for a prostitute or a hustler. In a little hotel, they know that there will nothing more than the few dollars, pounds or euros in your pocket. That reduces the scheming factor enormously.

Now, I'm beating a dead horse here. If you don't get it by now, you probably have to run into some crime in order to learn it. If you buy into what's I've said, here is a list of a few places I've heard about. (Now, naturally, I wouldn't have first hand experience in this :).

2. Boa Noite Cinderella (literally, "Good Night Cinderella") is not a fairy tale. Two of my friends have gotten it. It is the name of a strong sleeping potion that can be put into your drink or your food and has been given in candy as well. It can put you out for as much as 48 hours and, on rare occasion, has done worse than that. If you are given it, it will provide limitless access to your possessions to strangers. Watch your drink in a bar (when you go to the bathroom, casually take your drink with you and don't be afraid that you will be showing distrust - if they can't take it, there is someone else around the corner) or at home, if you are foolish enough to bring strangers home after reading my relentless finger-wagging tip above. Don't accept candy from strangers (seriously) and don't flash your money.

3. Stay below the radar screen to fly safely. You may feel like a star in Rio what with all of the attention that your hard currency will bring you, but don't act like one. Be cagey - don't discuss where you are staying, particularly if it is a fairly expensive place. Don't try to impress anyone. You are not an investment banker, you are a bus driver. You don't own your apartment, you rent it. If you want to be honest and not come up with a poor slob story then simply don't discuss anything that might indicate you are financially well-fixed.

I found his advise very sound. Remember, even one of our very own M4Mers was given Boa Noite Cinderfella.

The Prince of Rio AKA Big Daddy

Guest msclonly

BigDaddy,

Thands for the coaching. Are both bedrooms spoken for?

The apr looks like a major upgrade to the hotel! Enjoy!

I will be back to Rio on May 23 and am expecting more coaching on the current conditions at that time to catch up.

:+

Couldn't have give better safety tips myself! A modicum of common sense and street smarts, plus listening to experienced residents/travelers, will keep you safe.

For those who know Rio, Morada do Sol is the large complex of tall apartment buildings on the hillside directly opposite the RioSul Shopping Center, just on the other side of the tunnel from Copacabana/Leme. By cab it can be a bit complicated to get to because of all the limited access roads and one-way streets, but you can take local buses or walk through the tunnel (during the daytime, when there are lots of other pedestrians) to Copacabana. There's also an underpass system that takes you across to RioSul.

Many M4Ms like to have their own place, I see.

TRI, Carlos hs already moved into my new apt in Flamengo the first of march. He says they will give him the telephone line and DSL tomorrow.

Then he will contact you for the numbers of the people that helped you to make the renovation of your apt.

Hope we will be able to create a solid group of enjoying residents as soon as possible.

Ciao

CHRIS

Thanks BigDaddy for this information; I went to the site and was quite impressed. Must I conclude that the maid lives on the premise?

Also, if you haven't already done so, please post the info. in its proper sector on the Q&A in this forum if you or someone else hasn't already done so. Have a wonderful trip!:9

>Then he will contact you for the numbers of the people that

>helped you to make the renovation of your apt.

I'll be happy to give him the numbers. And if anybody else needs someone to fix up an apartment, they're welcome to the numbers, too. One of the guys specializes in floor refinishing and painting. The other is a general purpose handyman who does electrical and plumbing work. Although neither is gay, both are extremely nice guys, easy to work with, reliable and prompt, not to mention very reasonable for quality work. They deliver what they promise. Any of you who have visited my apartment in Rio can attest to their handiwork! Neither speaks English, though, so you will need an interpreter if you don't speak Portuguese. However, I can't recommend these guys highly enough!

Archived