THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

A different kind of Rio

Guest ihpguy
This topic is 7389 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest msclonly

Experience Thailand and Learn

A trip to Thailand would dispel any misgivings and the misconceptions you have about the ease of travel in Brazil compared to Thailand. I understand, that they are deductions and are not based on any experience.

First, and maybe foremost, English could be considered a second language in Thailand, since they study English, as part of their education. Everything is interpreted into English, that you would need! There are even daily local newpapers in English to read in Bangkok. Something I couldn't find in Rio. I even had difficulty finding an International Herald-Tribune in Rio and walked around to all the Corner newspaper Kiosks looking one morning and coming up empty handed. Anna did a great job for the King! It is pretty hard to find a bar or restaurant or sauna, where English is not spoken by more then several people. And they are always smiling. Seldom standoffish. Yes, it is easier to meet and communicate with the Thais in general, compared to my experience in Brazil.

The foreign Thai alphabet is insignificant unless you are in the provinces. They use the same numbers we do.

Theravada Buddhism is without doubt in my mind superior to the Western Judeo-Christian way of life as we know it, since it is NOT so fixated on guilt and negativity! It is a very positive and more PEACEFUL approach to life. Nor does it produce the aggressive hostile behavior of the western mind. At least as far as tourists go from my experience. All you have to do is watch the evening news to see, where the most unrest occurs in the world and why. And who is tearing down or blowing up 'neighbors' homes! Most of which has to do with the religious beliefs of the western mind!

HENCE, it is SAFER to be a tourist in Bangkok, then it is in Rio!

You can walk down the street and expect to be left alone. There is little need to walk in groups or take a cab as it was suggested in Rio and apparently moreso in San Paulo!

You can carry these comparisons of Thailand to most cities of the western Judeo-Christian world and come up with the conclusions. It is interesting to observe the ethno-centricity of the western mind being superior to the rest of the world.

:) :) :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE: Experience Thailand and Learn

I certainly hope you don't think I'm saying the Western "mind" is somehow superior to any other, because I don't believe any such thing! All I was saying is that in some ways travel to a country like Thailand must be more difficult than in another Western country, including the countries in Latin America. We share a strong cultural commonality with other Western countries which makes many things familiar (even though many things are obviously different from country to country).

Thanks for clearing up the question about the ease of communicating in English in Thailand. It certainly makes me more interested in going there someday, because I may be reaching the age where learning a radically different language may not be as easy as it once was for me.

I'm sure Thailand is a wonderful place; other than Brazil it's the only country that almost everyone I know who's been to it hasn't raved about the friendliness of the people, the scenery, the attractiveness of the culture, the food, etc.

As a traveller to both countries, Brazil, and Thailand, I would agree partially with both msclonly, and Trilingual. I did not take or understand Trilingual's remarks to imply cultural superiority of the Western culture, but rather practical advice based on deductions. msclonly's observations however, I believe, are very accurate. In my experience. It is by far much easier to find English speaking people in Thailand. The Buddhist-Thai culture is fascinating. I have been telling my friends here for years, that God put the most physically beautiful people in Brazil, who happen also to be very warm and friendly. But he put the most friendly, affectionate, and passionate people in Thailand, who happen to be also beautiful. The Thai people, gay or not, are truly some of the most pleasant people to be around. So polite, so friendly, so affectionate, and so peaceful. Thailand is truly the land of smiling faces. Rio, and Bangkok are heavenly. Each in its own way. My advice, if you go to Bangkok, find a native Thai to show you around. Not only he can take you were organized tourst-tours would not go, but also you can learn from the interaction with him a lot about Buddhist-Thai culture. Well, it is like in Rio, going around with a native Carioca is much more informative and eye opening than being a "formal Western tourist".

I do not think we need to choose between the two cities, we can learn from, and enjoy both.

I first went to Thailand 15 years ago as part of a trip that included Hong Kong and Nepal. It was my first venture to the "developing world" and to Asia. It was at a time when far less English was spoken and you had to bargain for more things than (like taxis) than is the case now. OTOH, you had two English language newspapers, almost all of the street and road signs throughout the country were translated into Western script and it was not difficult to find decent maops & guide books. I negotiated the bus system w/o problem in Bangkok and managed to find decent accomodations on my own and even dealt successfully with a bout of food poisoning. Bangkok was and is far safer than Rio and there is much to see simply by going a few blocks away from the usual cliche attractions like the Grand Palace and the Patpong area. I had no trouble getting around and was only moderately troubled by getting lost. I also managed to get upcountry on that trip, which was fascinating rather than intimidating. In short, my 1st trip to Bangkok, taken as newbie to non-European international travel, wasn't much more difficult than my 1st trip to Rio 15 years later as a very experienced traveler.

Thaialnd today attracts many Western tourists because it is so accessible to foreigners, has an excellent infrastructure and excellent support exists for torusits (several 1st rate guidebooks, good maps, etc.). There's no excuse for someone to not get out of Silom/Suriwongse, Phuket, etc. even if only for sex.

Guest msclonly

I do believe the Eastern and Thai culture is more peaceful and more accepting of life, as we know it.

I saw this in Myanmar (Burma), where the people literally have nothing, that we consider essential to stay alive or be Happy! But you can see the light in their eyes easier then anywhere in the States or Western World! What they do have is the same form of Theravada Buddhism as the Thais! It was enough to make me a latent Buddhist!

Two years ago, I found a book on Buddhism and Mental Health in the Exec Lounge at the BKK Marriott Resort Hotel by a well written (many books) senior Abbot monk at one of the Temples in BKK. After reading it, I saw that it was about the effects of religion on the developement of the human mind and the psychology of our personalities. This has been one of my lifetime interests in the Western Judeo-Christian world till I first visited Thailand and added the Eastern world. The contrasts were too visible to miss them. It felt like I could have written the book and said many of the same things writen in the book. So I looked at the author's credits and found he was born on the same day as I was on the 24th of June (St Jean Baptiste) in Thailand. So at max, we are only 12 hours apart at birth. And probably a lot closer. I still plan on contacting him, since we are on the same BRAINWAVES!

:)

Archived