THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Small party at hotel

Indiana Swede
This topic is 7548 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I assume you've talking about a party with boys from the saunas. We've had parties at the Altantico before, but with the increasing M4M tourism, the numbers sort of got out of hand last time. The number of guests/boys caused the hotel to get rather nervous--they do have a large straight clientele after all--and the amount of work such a large party required led us to decide that we'd forgo any future parties there. The other issue you'd have to confront is where to have it. We always had it on the roof but that's also where the presidential suite is located. Our very own prexy, Gulliver, had the suite each time we had a party but if he, or another M4Mer isn't there, I doubt if you could have a party there. And there isn't another appropriate venue in the hotel. All in all, I'm not sure it's really a good idea. Every night at the saunas is a party already. SF Traveler

I think the so called presidential suite makes for a great place to have a party if you wanted to. The hotel is not wild about the idea of having a portable banquet table set up in the larger room (if you have more than a dozen guests) but kind of does it if you have them cater the food. Their price is not bad to do this. Some friends of mine hosted a Christmas party this year and enjoyed by report a great meal and a good time. The hotels main objection is that the "lovely" wall to wall carpet might be damaged by the food.

In the small living/dining room of the suite there is a table for four and if you are doing something small in terms of a dinner or something larger with just snacks and a drink. If you are there in February between Feb 20 and the morning of the 26th - I have the suite but will not be using it and if you contact me I will transfer the reservation to you.

For anyone who does not know the suite - there is a small living/dining with an adequate folding bed, table for 3 to 4 and TV. off this is a sauna, a shower and a small jacuzzi with lounge area - 2 sunchairs and table for 4. The bedroom is large with a not so great bed, a small sofa and lots of closets. The hotel, sensing that this is a popular room just raised the fee from 300R to 400R a night.

If you are a poster who goes to Rio on a regular basis and likes to entertain, the house I am building adjacent to the Atlantico is in process and will be completed later this year (About October 1). You can contact Carlo later this winter at his website regarding rental. It has five bedrooms/baths with sitting areas, a large courtyard with a 30ft waterfall, rooftop swimming pool and master penthouse and live in staff. It can probably host 75 people comfortably for a party with food. Considering the Copacabana Palace gets 500+ a night for a one bedroom, this isn't quite as cheap as the Atlanticos presidential but will still be priced less than the Copa by far. Still fancying the idea of making it a kind of swanky B and B but this is still up in the air as I and other friends will be using it over 6 months during the year and it may be too hard to organize scheduling wise. Carlo will have the details in another month or so.

Well Driver, I think that you, Tomcal, Funseeker and I (plus a few others whose monikers I can't remember at the moment) should take out a permanent lease on the 6 months Gulliver's not there! Of course, we'd hate being there in his absence, but there's always the possibility that other attractions might distract us. SF Traveler

Hey SF Traveller,

I kind of thought you, Tomcal, and another dozen of my rio buddies would be there during the time I am there. That is the possible appeal of a B and B. I have this fantasy about a dozen of us sitting around a courtyard dining room table - gas lamps burning and a exotic atmosphere (including some of Rio's finest garotos) and having a ball. Kind of my Gotsford Park fantasy. Just am not sure how it could be managed scheduling wise.

By the way, if you or any of the other posters have any ideas to share about what they think a Rio B and B should be like - I am all ears. Am meeting with the architects again Friday. Two tall friends

have already mentioned king size beds with real mattresses and pillows. A couple of people have mentioned different ways to have phone service and a computer in each room. I am sure there are dozens of great ideas out there. Please post with any that you guys can think of. Dont spare the details.

Guest msclonly

Small party at Home away from Home!

Sounds like a great idea. Like the location, but the Atlantico leaves a lot to be desired in the way of comfortable air conditioning, good water, food, and guests access!

Some Queen size beds would be appropriate for smaller rooms and occasional guests.

:+

Getting back to the original posting: I imagine the hotel would be willing to cater something. The Xmas party in the penthouse suite went absolutely flawlessly and the food was delicious. The turkey, roasted with glazed fruits like figs, was to die for, as were a number of the desserts, but everything was good! Just be sure that they don't overkill like at the Xmas party! I think the hosts told the hotel there would be 20 people (or whatever) and they made 20 portions each of the five main dishes, plus huge salads and desserts. Of course, everybody wasn't going to eat five main courses plus extras, so you'd need to be careful to avoid having tons of leftover food. (And ask about how to donate any leftovers to needy people!)

Archived