THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Time for a March or April trip to Rio!

Guest msclonly
This topic is 7562 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest msclonly

Woke up this morning with the strong urge to plan that trip to Rio in March or April. Would like to know, when the prime comfortable driest weather is in Brazil's Fall or our Spring?

Not interested in the most crowded seasons for tourists.

Have miles to use and a week at the JW.

I hear some M&Ms are planning trips during this period.

Thanks for any info!

:)

Although I cannot respond to your initial question, I would like for those in the KNOW that when answering my cyber/M4Mer friend's question, please allude to the "typical" weather in Rio in May, too, please! My friend and I just might be there then. If not, I am anticipating a trip to BA, Rio, Sao Paulo for at least 15 - 20 days in April (if the airline price) is to my liking! Obrigado!

April is less rainy than March, usually. This may be a hard year to predict, though. So far, all it's been doing is raining, and this kind of rain and these temperatures are unseasonable, to say the least. Fortunately, the rain held off on New Year's Eve (it drizzled a bit later) but yesterday and today have been solid rain and drizzle. There's flooding in parts of town.

Unless you're a confirmed beach addict, though, it's not something to worry about. There's always lots going on in Rio, and the saunas function rain or shine! And the weather here, at it's worst, is better in March and April than its equivalent in the northern hemisphere! So come on down!

Guest Tomcal_

While this is not a "scientific" study, here is what happened my last 7 trips to Rio weather wise...

Oct./01 10 days sunshine, mid 80's daytime, low 70's night

April/02 " " " " " " "

Aug./02 7 Days Sunshine, high 70's daytime high 60's night

Oct./02 Same as Oct. 01 !!

April/03 same as April 02

Aug./03 Saw my First Rain!! 2 days light drizzle

Oct./03 Temps were about the same, some rain/cloudy days

Being from So. Calif., I didn't mind the rainy days in Aug. or Oct., but typically the odds are with you that you will have Sunny days in Rio!

April will be cooler than March. However, we're in Brazil's equivalent of July and it was positively CHILLY last night at Corujinha! (There's a big unseasonable polar front heading north that's been affecting weather here; it was down in the 30's last night in some southern cities!)

Heat and humidity can be alleviated by air-conditioning. Even though it hasn't been all that hot, I've had the a/c on numerous nights to dry things out. I hate that "sticking to the sheets" effect. Fortunately, I found the thermostat setting that wrings out a lot the humidity without turning the room into an ice locker!

Rio's winter tends to be dry, with moderate temperatures. Lots of gorgeous weather when I was here in May, June, July.

I think that the wealth of information provided by the members of this board is amazing. The intelligence is second to none!

Thank you everybody!

Now to my subject. I had never considered Brazil a destination for my travel adventures until I started reading this board. Trilingual's passionate descriptions of the beauty of the people and the region have put me over the edge. I will go to Brazil this year! When is the tourism low period? As I live in NYC, I am surrounded by tourists. While tourism in NY is very important to our economy, and provides an influx of interesting people, I would rather not be surrounded by tourists on vacation. Although I will be a tourist in Rio I would like to visit during a slow period. Any Thoughts?

Always,

Happy

In my opinon the ideal time to visit Rio is during Barzil's winter time, i.e May to August, which is our summer time. The weather is best, less rainy, not so hot and humid. It is also their low tourism-season. Less crowds, less hassel. I am certain, you would want to return to Brazil before their next winter.... Very few can resist the magic and charm of Brazil, and Brazilians... I couldn't, and returned in less than 6 months after my first trip...

OHGWM226

Guest msclonly

Sounds like part of that Global Warming, I hear and read about in the News!

Bangkok also was cool 1-3 weeks ago. Just right for a Hawaiin shirt day and nite without humidity. The guys were wearing those quilted jackets with fake fur collars, inside. It was in the 80's day and 70's at nite. Overall cooler then usual for this time of year.

It is definitely about Global Warming!

I will have to call Gore about it!

He knows.

:+

...was in Rio on three occasions during the past year-- February/March and in October (2002-2003). The latter time is considered low season, too; the weather (although springish)was in the 70s to mid 80s, but apparently as some of the preceding respondents reported, now one really never knows what the weather will be like since it's been oh so changeable and unpredictable throughout the world.

I'm in Central/Northern Calif. and have begun to hate our weather. It's not warm enough for me since I've retired. LA and San Diego last weekend and during the holidays was far from warm as in the previous years. Global warming has definitely adversely affected the world's usual climates...

Guest msclonly

2004 turning out to be a GREAT YEAT!

Yesterday, I was able to CROSS OVER and it was great!

Confirmed many things about my family.

Tonite, I was able to schedule a roundtrip to Rio with a stopover in NYC on the return in May at the Standard Miles Award level in First Class. That is just a few miles more then a Miles upgrade on a Coach ticket costing over $1000.00 with 40,000 miles.

Gosh, what will it will tomorrow?

:D

Guest BJohn4567

RE: 2004 turning out to be a GREAT YEAT!

Would like to put my two cents worth in concerning the weather. Both of my visits were during July, both for five days in RIO. Never saw any rain, temps were still shirt-sleeve comfortable, humidity low. I too find high humidity such as that in Southeast asia (Bangkok, Bali) during October absolutely debilitating. I have learnt one thing though, July is school vacation month in Brazil making tourist spots such as Iguazzu crowded. Will next time come in August.

High season: Xmas through Carnival (i.e., about Dec. 15th thru the end of February, unless Carnival is late and falls in early March, in which case high season lasts 'til then). This coincides with the long Brazilian summer school holidays. Peaks of the high season, with extra-high prices, are New Year's and Carnival itself.

Mini-high seasons: Holy Week and the shorter July winter school holidays. Big festivals, conventions, religious pilgrimages or out-of-season carnivals in some interior cities.

Low season: Everything else.

Guest msclonly

Unfortunately, the good weather months are in the summer vacation season, thus the airfares are higher.

:(

For what it's worth, my last trip to Rio was in August-September 2003 and it rained for 10 consecutive days. We saw the sun a total of 30 minutes during the trip. And the temps were in the 70's during the day, 50's and low 60's at night. Drizzle or rain every night at Corujinha and the natives were walking around in winter coats, hats, scarves, and gloves, and complaining about the cold. Personally, I like the weather in the 60's. Dread the humidity. But the rain certainly put a damper on some activities. I found the best time for me was in June. Warm, sunny, and not alot of humidity. And warm enough for the guys to be waling around the city half naked.

RE: More Destinations

Keep in mind that there's a lot more to Brazil than Rio! If you want sun and beach weather (as well as sightseeing and saunas) consider the Northeast, which is reliably sunnier than Rio. From Recife to Fortaleza, you're not likely to run into endless rain, as the region is naturally semi-arid to arid.

Check it out; you're going to like it!

Archived