THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Hot News in 2004 from Brasil!!!

Axiom2001
This topic is 7566 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In a response that I just read a few minutes ago, the respondent stated: "But the recent October trip was far more fun." I agree with his intent; as recently as this last Sunday, Jackhammer and I discussed this forum and our trip to Brasil; I made the comment that the forum has NOT been as interesting of late except for Tri's "marriage" to that gorgeous teacher.:-)

Now that five or more M4Mers are presently in Rio, please feel free as well as obliged to recant your glorious and exciting experiences in Rio during the dawning of this new year 2004. What was your holiday like? Describe your consuming the new year as Gringo so eloquently recapitulated his at the beginning of 2003; I can still relive vicariously his detail.

As I type this-- it's seven minutes after 12 midnight in Rio! I can see the women and men all ablaze in white emerging from the water and those vibrant, ever-continuous fireworks which will continue at the Point:202 and at Estacao around 3 or 4 am! Oh to be in Rio during the commencement of a new year! :-) :-) :9 :9 :-) :-)

Guest Gringo

Well Ax, you asked for it, so here's the latest---

Several M4Mers had to get out of Rio yesterday and today because if they didn't, no outgoing flights had available spaces until January 21st!! And the few available seats were really expensive. Those recently arrived were mostly caught up in a frenzied roller coaster that the holidays are between Christmas and New Year's. Then of course there is the constant distraction of all those sexy MEN on every corner!!

There are always the many flyers distributed at gay centers promoting the White Party or the Salvation Party or the Biggest Dick of the Year Party in addition to what the saunas have to offer. But many of disco bunny parties are frequently too expensive for many cariocas, so if you go, you end up in a crowded venue with mostly gringos you would find in the cha-cha palaces stateside. That's not the reason I came to Brasil!! But then, most of you know that I prefer the fresh air and open spaces of the streets anyway.

The big fireworks buzz this year was about some kind of surprise pyrotechnic that was a big secret. Well, maybe I expected too much. Or maybe I was spoiled by the extravagant display of the 2000 millenium. In any case, although quite a display, the fireworks this year left me somewhat disappointed. Again, I only have this year's and 2000 to compare.

After the last blast, I immediately jumped into the first taxi I found and returned to Cinelandia. I HATE the feeling of being a prisoner of Copa unable to return to Centro for hours as a million people try to get to the subway or a bus in an crazy frenzy to access a transportation system unable to meet such a demand.

A quick pass of Cindelandia found nothing that caugth my eye---everyone was by then in a mad bumper to bumper traffic jam trying to get out of Copa. So....it now being 330am, I am here to give you this small update.

If you are still wanting more details of the Copa fireworks, or are a new devotee of the cariocas, I offer this rememberance from last year*****************

About 2 million people have congregated onto the crescent of Copacabana Beach. With very few exceptions, they are dressed in white clothes, most are carrying flowers, and many have brought a bottle of champagne. It is customary to welcome the new year with white clothes to symbolize a new beginning. Kind of like wiping the slate clean. The flowers are a gift for Iemanja, the goddess of the sea.

Most of the time, the flowers for Ijemanja are thrown into the third wave that crosses your feet as you approach the edge of the water. Other times small gifts are placed on large tropical leaves and pushed into the ocean. Ijemanja is vain. She likes perfumes, cosmetics, and hand-crafted jewelry. If the waves carry the gift out to sea, she has accepted your offering and you will be blessed with happiness in the new year. If she rejects the gifts and they return to the shore, there may be problems. People pick up the returned gifts and throw them again into the sea with a bit more force.

Sometimes small holes are dug into the sand near the shoreline. Inside the holes people place candles and maybe a bottle of beer (she likes a drink from time to time too). When the sea water invades the holes, Ijemanja extinguishes the candles so you cannot see her drink the beer. Although she is thirsty, she is modest. Ijemanja has great powers and she is not to be toyed with. The flower vendors have a busy night ahead and sales are brisk.

I had pretty much tired of fireworks. It’s been years since I've troubled the trip and parking to see a display. But I must say that the fireworks in Copacabana were hands down, bar none, no question, you bet your life, the BEST fireworks I have ever seen. Every half mile was another huge battery of explosives roped off. And they were all firing at the same time. Beautifully coordinated. I have never seen such-colors. Nor have I ever been so close to the actual explosives themselves. Many times the glowing embers would hit the beach itself and sometimes the people too. In addition to the fireworks, lasers and floodlights streamed across the night sky from Sugarloaf to Cristo Redentor, the Christ statue.

At midnight, a shower of champagne explodes over the crowd as they welcome the new year by shaking the bottles and releasing the contents over each other with great joy. I embrace without the slightest hesitation the handsome strangers all around me.

The exodus begins. It is impossible to get a ticket for the subway. Time stamped tickets sold out weeks before. Scalpers are getting USD-10 a ticket. Buses and cars are not allowed on Aveneida Atlantico in Copacabana between 7PM and 6AM on new year's eve. It is good to have friends that you can stay with until regular transportation service resumes.

-

The morning papers detail a huge success with very little violence. Three people were killed by accidentally discharged fireworks and ten were reported to have been pulled into the arms of Ijemanja never to return from her embrace. I guess she didn't like the flowers afterall.

:+

I wasn't here for New Year's in 2000, but I was here last year and I thought the fireworks were better this year. Lots more of them! The crowds were much larger, too, though. Last year, we hung around Maxim's until around 2:30 and were able to leave the beach area with no problem at all. As soon as we reached Av. Copacabana my friend spotted an empty bus heading towards his neighborhood and hopped aboard.

This year a bunch of us decided around 1:30 to head for Corujinha and maybe LeBoy afterwards. The crowds were dense, and there were many cross-currents of people trying to go in different directions. We tried exiting the beach at r. Republica do Peru, and got caught in a near stampede that was somewhat scary at times. Too many people trying to leave while others were still trying to shove their way in to the ongoing concert on the sand. The entrance to the street was partially obstructed, and people were getting pushed up against the obstruction, so that didn't help at all! But we finally got out safely and ended up hanging out at Corujinha for another hour or so. A few others in our crowd got separated from us and ended up walking down the beach sidewalk for another few blocks before leaving the beach. Apparently it wasn't as bad as the route we chose. Next year, I'll wait a bit longer before trying to leave! However, Av. Copacabana was full at 3:00 a.m., and the buses were still packed. The line to get into the Arcoverde subway station literally stretched all the way around the block! My friend came back to the apartment with me where we rested up for another hour or so before he took another stab at catching a bus home. Yours truly collapsed! It was fun, but a long and somewhat tiring night!

Archived