THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

air fares before Carnaval

catnip
This topic is 7559 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just wondering if the air fares in the season before Carnaval start to dip after a few weeks or if they stay up high where they are now. Hoping to get a mid-February trip in before Carnaval. Any experienced travelers know how it usually goes?

Thanks,

You have picked the absolute worst time to try to find a bargain fare to bz. This is the height of high season and things are booked solid. Call a travel agent and ask about the Brasilian Air Pass. They will have the exact dates as to when high season officially ends. Still hope to see you if you make if down in the next few months.:-(

In February of 2002-- my good friend and I booked a trip to RIo for approximately $575 each. We went with a tour company in Miami, Brol.com. We chose our airline AA, stayed at the Atlantico which was not part of the package, and stayed 11+ days--pre Carnavale, during and after. The only price differentiation was in our lodging; during Carnavale (4 nights) we shared a room at a somewhat stiff price; the day immediately after Carnavale-- we got singles for almost half the price of our double room.

I hope this will be of some assistance to you! I wish I could be there this year! Have a wonderful adventure!:-)

RE: PLEEEZE use the FAQ!

>>> I went to BACC and got the

>>>same flights I could get on the internet, but hundreds of

>>>dollars cheaper.

>>

>>

>>What is BACC?

>>

>>Thanks

>>

>

>

>:-) I, too, wanted clarification of this (I'd presume...)

>acronym!

PLEEEEZE look in the FAQ under "Cheap Air Fares."

Thanks, guys - I did check with BACC and with Priceline before leaving my post. Then my $500 bid on priceline was turned down and they suggested that the inexpensive partner fares are around $800 or $900. BACC had a fare at $750. But I was curious if fares start to come down closer to the actual time as agencies start to get eager to be sure their space all gets sold. Just don't want to get burned by playing a little guessing game.

Thanks!

Guest msclonly

The answer can be YES if your lucky to get a cheap airfare and package close to Carnaval.

I did in the 1970's. Called a travel agency in San Fran and got package, which ended up being a Front ocean view SINGLE without supplement at the Othon Palace and airfare. Apparently, the agent tour guide had the space available and I filled it at a late date, when most people or more would book.

I especially enjoyed the breakfasts. But the recent October trip was far more fun.:+

If your heart is set on being here for Carnival, don't wait TOO long. You're talking about the most popular event in Brazil, and millions of people want to be here. Based on this New Year's Eve, it'll be jammed. (This year New Year's attracted nearly 3 million people, almost double last year's crowd, and hotels were all sold out.) The economy here is improving, people are feeling more optimistic, and more people are traveling within South America. In addition, there are fewer "safe" places to travel these days, so lots of American and European tourists are looking at places like Brazil for their vacations abroad, now that they don't feel as comfortable in the Middle East or Southeast Asia.

$750 would be a reasonable price to pay for a flight/package (depending on where you're coming from) during the peak of the tourist season. I'm not saying you might not do better at a fire sale as Carnival approaches, but you can't count on it. In these cases, penny wise can be pound foolish. Hope this helps you make your decision.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I DO have my heart set on going to Rio and decided not to make it a crap shoot at the last minute. I got a decent fare on Sky Auction and paid about $150 less than I could find anywhere else. Given my narrow range of travel dates, I consider that a pretty good find. Can't wait to be in Rio again!

Archived