THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Questions for Tri and This and That"

Big Daddy
This topic is 7583 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

NOTE: I posted this messge on FAQ's by mistake, so please do not get in an uproar over the double posting

I was going to send a private post to Tri with a request for advise. I thought however that there may be some others out there with similar questions, so have posted my questions here.

I have learned how to call Wan Hallen in Uruacu (2 hours north of Brasilia)and now he wants me to call him every day. I have been using a prepaid phone card, but I do not think that there is any advantage over just direct dialing. Does anyone know of an inexpenisive, or less expensive way to call Brazil from the US.

I am in the process of learning Portuguese. Juice, who was in Rio in October, and who is a seasoned Brazil "nut" is going to lend me a CD set to start my education. It is hard speaking with Wan Hallen via the telephone. One on one, we had eye contact and body language and more time to get a message across. While I love talking to him, it is hard knowing how far away he is. He has told his family that I am his American boy friend, so when I call they get him right away, or tell me when he will be back home. The other day he kind of broke down a bit and told me how lonely he was in Uruacu. I wanted to get on the next flight. Hell, my visa is good for five years.

I want to send Wan Hallen a LA Lakers shirt (I tried to convince him the Lakers were evil, but to no avail). Can I send it via regular postal service, or is there is more effective delivery service in Brazil, like UPS.

What is the best way to send money. I sent him a Christmas present and ended up wiring the money to his mothers bank account. The wire fee was $45. Am nervious sending money via regular mail. Would not do that even here in the US. I guess I could send a money order, which would be safer than cash. Another option is Western Union, but the fee is still $25.

I am returning to Brazil in May. Wan Hallen will return to Rio to be with me while I am there. I would very much like to bring him to the United States for a visit, but with the restrictions on travel, I question if he could get a visa. I know that some of the Brazilian boys, for example Bruno Goucho has received visa's, so it must be possible. For the first time I feel like I am living in a prison here in the US. I can take Wan Hallen almost any where in the world, except my own home.

As I mentioned, I will be back in Rio the first two weeks of May. If any of you are thinking about going, I will be there if you have any questions, or you need someone to show you the "ropes". I am very grateful to all the guys who were there back in October who spoon fed me on the joys of life in Brazil and how to get around. It really is amazingly simple, but for 1st timers, as I was, it is still scary.

While you can really survive without knowledge of Portuguese, I can tell you that if you spend some time learning the language basics, you will have a far better time. My Spanish helped a lot, but the difference between Arizona Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese is as big as the Grand Canyon. Every time I heard the phrase Sexta-feira, I was ready to head for the sauna and party. It simply means, Friday.

The list has been pretty quiet lately. Hopefully it will perk up with the coming New Year. I would give my American boy friend's left nut to be in Rio on New Years eve. Jon is pretty jealous of Wan Hallen and gets upset when I bring him up, or the fact that I am returning in just a few months. He really cannot comprehend the effect that not only Wan Hallen had on me, but the effect of Brazil.

I had mentioned that I had never felt freer as a gay man than when I was in Rio. I was immediately attacked as obviously someone who had never been any where. In fact, of the places that particular poster had mentioned, I had not visited only one of them. I have never been to a city where you can kiss your boy friend in a taxi, and the driver has a plastic Jesus on the dashboard, and have the driver ask how long have you been together. I quickly learned that Brazilian men, and I mean all the men, like to be cruised. They look at it as a compliment, rather than an assault on their masculinity. Brazilians also do not have the age and looks hangups that we have here. Wan Hallen is 19 and had no problem with my age. All he cared about was that I wanted to be with him, and that I treated him with respect and ultimately love. He responded to that and not the fact that I was a walking and talking ATM. The reality is that I spent a lot less money on Wan Hallen, than I do on Jon or other American boys for instance. Being with Wan Hallen and taking care of him while I was in Rio became a joy, rather than a burden. I know that many of us that have gone to Brazil have met amazing friends, even lovers. Knowing that there is a place on this earth like Brazil has given me hope that even I, Big Daddy, can be happy and fulfilled.

RE: Questions for Tri and This and That

I deleted the topic from the FAQ to avoid the duplication. Sorry, SFTraveler, your response there got zapped, too.

Calling the U.S. from Brazil: Check with your long distance carrier about their international calling plans and rates. I've been using MCI's top plan, with rates of 15 cents a minute to Brazil, 24 hours a day. I like MCI because with their calling card you can get the same rate (with no surcharge on int'l calls) as the rate from your home. You also get the same rate if you use your card to dial back to the U.S. from abroad, and the same rate for collect calls from abroad to your home phone number. (A cheaper way for your Brazilian friends to call you.)

Sending money: As SFTraveler said in his response, you can ask at the Brazilian travel agencies and shops in Phoenix who they use. It'll be cheaper than a bank transfer. However, for small amounts it's still expensive. The best way, I've found, is just to send cash by registered mail (about $5 or $6) with return receipt requested. I've never had problems with registered mail going astray, as it's tracked every step of the way.

Visas are really hard, but not impossible. In Wan Hallen's case, the best bet would probably be to try to get him enrolled in an English course and then try to get a student visa. Or arrange a green-card marriage. Either way, it's going to be kind of expensive. Bruno Gaucho got his visa before 9/11, as I recall, but he also was able to demonstrate more secure ties to Brazil because he owns property and a business. That helps demonstrate that he intends to return to Brazil and not stay in the U.S.

For someone like Wan Hallen, one way of improving his chances for a visa would be to take him on a couple of trips to some other countries that don't require a visa for Brazilians (like Argentina or Europe). He should have a passport (even for Argentina) and make sure that the passport gets stamped going in and out of the country. A couple of trips abroad will help show the American consular authorities that he's traveled outside Brazil and returned home. That will increase their confidence that he won't stay in the U.S. illegally.

That's such a sweet post, BD. I hope you and Van Wallen make it. You both looked so proud and happy to be with each other in the pictures you shared with us.

There's a company called Vigo that sends money. I just use their office in NYC, but maybe you can use them from other cities, too. Their number is 800-777-8784. They charge $5 per transaction.

Have Van Wallen use some of the money you send him to get to an internet cafe if they have one near him. You can communicate better using emails, and it will help your Portuguese, too. There's a thriving market for used Pimsleur sets in ebay. You can buy the cassettes for about $150 and the CD's for somewhat more. Then, if you like, you can resell them when you've finished a level and recoup some, or all, of your investment. Just do a search on Pimsleur Portuguese. Also, try http://www.rosettastone.com. You can use their Brazilian Portuguese program with a $20 per month deduction from your credit card. It's not as good as Pimsleur for developing conversational fluency, but it's probably better than Pimsleur for building a vocabulary.

Also, anyone know anything about VOIP - Voice Over Internet Protocol? I heard on the radio yesterday that is could revolutionize (and make far cheaper) long distance service - they were talking about one penny per minute!

Big Daddy -

This may be a little late, but in the U.S. I have an international AT&T plan that is 5 cents a minute to Brazil. Feliz Natal to all!

Archived