THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

THANKSGIVING IN RIO

trilingual
This topic is 7599 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Who's going to be here for (American) Thanksgiving, and who'd be interested in getting together then for dinner to give thanks for the abundant blessings of Brazil?

If there aren't too many of us (8 or less) we could cook and eat at my new apartment. Or we could just see about having dinner at a local restaurant. I can check around to see if anyplace is putting on a Thanksgiving dinner. The Marriott might be a possibility.

Please e-mail me through this site to let me know if you'll be here and you'll be coming. If you do RSVP, please be sure you're really coming! I know travel plans can change at the last minute, but no-shows are a hassle. I'll need to hear from you by Friday so I know how many people we're talking about and make necessary arrangements.

When you RSVP, please let me know how many of you there will be, your real name, and where you'll be staying so I can contact you, if necessary. I'll post the info about Thanksgiving in this thread, as soon as arrangements are made. Even if we have dinner at a restaurant, it shouldn't be terribly expensive, given that this is Rio! See y'all soon!

Who's going to be here for (American) Thanksgiving, and who'd be interested in getting together then for dinner to give thanks for the abundant blessings of Brazil?

If there aren't too many of us (8 or less) we could cook and eat at my new apartment. Or we could just see about having dinner at a local restaurant. I can check around to see if anyplace is putting on a Thanksgiving dinner. The Marriott might be a possibility.

Please e-mail me through this site to let me know if you'll be here and you'll be coming. If you do RSVP, please be sure you're really coming! I know travel plans can change at the last minute, but no-shows are a hassle. I'll need to hear from you by Friday so I know how many people we're talking about and make necessary arrangements.

When you RSVP, please let me know how many of you there will be, your real name, and where you'll be staying so I can contact you, if necessary. I'll post the info about Thanksgiving in this thread, as soon as arrangements are made. Even if we have dinner at a restaurant, it shouldn't be terribly expensive, given that this is Rio! See y'all soon!

Upon reflection, letting someone else cook for Thanksgiving sounds like a good idea to me! I've checked with the Marriott, and they'll be having an American-style Thanksgiving buffet for R$65. They ask for reservations, because they're one of the very few places in town that do this. People show up at the last minute without resevations, according to the restaurant manager, and end up waiting a long time for a table or eating at the bar because they can't be accommodated.

If you're going to be in Rio and would like to get together for Thanksgiving dinner, please e-mail me through this site ASAP so I can make reservations. So far it's Gulliver and me, and he's going to be busy with house arrangements during the day (it's NOT a Brazilian holiday, after all) so he can't make it until late afternoon/early evening. To accommodate his schedule I'll make a reservation for 6:30 p.m. If you'd like to join us, please zap me the following information by midnight Sunday:

Your real name and your M4M handle

The number of people in your party

The name of your hotel

The dates you'll be in Rio

I'll make the reservation Monday, based on the number of responses I receive on Sunday, and I'll post the confirmation of our reservation here in this thread. Also, please keep checking this thread in case there are any unexpected changes in plans. Hope to see some of you guys for dinner next Thursday!

RE: THANKSGIVING IN RIO - DETAILS

OK, it looks like there will be five of us at Thanksgiving dinner. I've made the reservation for 6:30 p.m.

Since everyone but me is staying at the Atlântico, let's meet in the lobby there at 6:00 p.m. and walk over to the Marriott together. It's about 4 blocks away.

See you guys Thursday (if not before)!

Thanksgiving dinner at the Marriott was really nice! One of our party twisted his ankle badly during the afternoon and decided to stay at the Atlântico with an ice bag on his leg, so it ended up being 4 M4Mers and the "guest" of one of the guys, hot 'n' hunky Márcio.

Openers included an excellent shrimp salad, and a variety of other appetizing salads from the salad bar (and some delicious gravlax). Turkey breast was being carved, and there was a bountiful supply of other hot main dishes, with all the traditional side dishes including cranberry sauce. Desserts were delicious, too -- the American style desserts (pecan pie, pumpkin pie) ended up somewhat Brazilianized, but were wonderful nonetheless. Service was attentive and friendly. We all enjoyed ourselves and agreed that we'd happily return! So if you ever expect to be in Rio on American Thanksgiving, the Marriott is worth keeping in mind; be sure to jot it down for future reference!

Guest msclonly

BRUNCH AT THE MARRIOTT

You can plan any Sunday for a delicious Brunch at the Marriott.

It lasts till 5 PM, so you won't have to eat again, and can party for rest of the nite at your favorite venue!

So don't wait till next Thanksgiving to eat there.

You can have just the Soup & Salad for about 1/2 price $10.00.

One of the soups was a delicous version of the Brazilian (or Portogese) Black Bean stew with nice 'hunks' of meat in it!

:9 :+ :9

Archived