THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

New visitation policy at Hotel Atlantico

Reed
This topic is 7363 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just returned today from a wonderful ten days in Rio (arent they all?) Typically I dont post much, but I thought this is newsworthy. On Saturday night a group of us was returning to the hotel after a late dinner, accompanied by three sauna boys. Approaching the elevator, we were stopped by the night clerk who advised that, effective immediately, the hotel had established a "no visitation" policy. He was unmoved by the argument that we had had visitors every day. A brand new rule. Nevertheless, Saturday night the boys were whisked up to the rooms.

Sunday morning one of the m4mers mentioned the incident to Rene, who confirmed the new policy. All he would say was there was a very bad incident that had just occurred, which involved the police, and that prompted the new policy. He said the owner said that there would be no exceptions and that any guests that didnt like the policy could find other accomodations. Apparently the "investors" were going to have an emergency meeting to discuss all of this, so its possible that the policy will be revised or abandoned.

Other than that, the buzz at 202 was all about the reopening of Rogers. Sounds like all of the old Rogers boys are anxious to return.

A final observation. Some of us continue to have bad experiences at Estacao. I was charged for two rentals one night, when I only had one. When I questioned the charge, they at first looked perplexed, then fell back on the explanation that I had spent too much time with the boy. While I had a good time in the suite, it was one of my shorter sessions. NO WAY I went over a 40 minute time limit. That same night, another m4mer was charged for an extra session, as well.

As always, it was great seeing old friends from this site and making new ones. Looking forward to the next trip!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Approaching the elevator, we were stopped by the night

>clerk who advised that, effective immediately, the hotel had

>established a "no visitation" policy. A brand new

>rule. Nevertheless, Saturday night the boys were whisked up

>to the rooms.

You said that "the boys were whisked up to to the rooms." How did you get the boys up to the room considering the new rule?

I hope Gulliver and Carlo are reading this and will talk to the hotel about the new policy. I can understand such a reaction if something bad happened, but it's important to remind the hotel that imposing a draconian policy just because of one bad incident isn't sound thinking, especially considering how many "visitors" there have been to the rooms without any problems at all. A good compromise, and one I don't think the sauna boys would have any problems with, would just be to require that they leave their ID at the desk before going up to someone's room, and not get it back until the desk has confirmed with the guest that everything's OK. Some other hotels do that, and the guys are used to that system. Given the laxity of the Atlântico's policy until now, it's probably a huge stroke of luck that nothing bad has happened before now. Not with the sauna boys, as they don't seem to be problems by and large, but with guys (or women) picked up on the street by hotel guests. I don't think the hotel wants to be prudish, they just don't want police problems, understandably!

I'm sure something can work out that meets everyone's needs and lets the Atlântico keeps its loyal and growing clientele of M4Mers!

When I was waiting at the front desk during my recent visit there was a fairly young nervous US guy discreetly handing 3 of the desk staff $20 US each (the older red haired woman, Sam & ?, know his face but forget his name) for handling his problem. They weren't looking for this donation and were pleasantly surprised. It seemed like it might have been about an under age girl who got caught in his room with a bunch of his friends. Not pretty if it was a potential assault situation.

I totally agree with the turn in of ID`s at the front desk and anyone I brought (home) expected it too. The hotel`s clientele is very different from what I had anticipated. Many older couple tourists staying there and a number of raised eyebrows in the elevators or at breakfast. Too funny !!.

Wish I was Back and hope that the hotel policy will now change back under much closer supervision.

I have a reservation at the Atlantico for this Thursday - and I will talk to the general manager when I check in. This is a business trip for me and I do not have time to make other arrangements. I have emailed Carlo as he, Eduardo, and I already have scheduled a dinner meeting for next week. I will let the board know what happens when I find out first hand.

Although it will not be of any help to those M4M posters with travel plans and bookings at the Atlantico in the next few months - it will be of interest to some for the future. As many of you know, I have purchased a house on the gated street off Toneleros next to the Atlantico. Demo of this property is to begin Dec 8th and the foundation for a new house done by Jsn 10. I graduated from hotel/restaurant school and although a dentist for 20+ years I always wanted to own and operate a small great inn. I have designed this house myself with MUCH help from some other close m4m buddies (jake, Robbguy, and Luckyelpaso and this trip next week is to hammer out all the final details with the local Rio architect.

It is essentially a a Spanish type u shaped villa around a central courtyard and pool - three stories with a masters and five guests plus 2 servant rooms. Huge manor kitchen and a table which someday will seat 16 or so m4m posters for Friday night parties. As planned, each guest suite has a king bed, private bath, kitchenette, computer and cable, fireplace (yeh I know !) and is totally balconied to courtyard. There are gardens on 2 levels. I am a big antique collector and ever since the New York Times did an article on my office and quarters in NYC on the front page of the Home Section - I fancy the idea of creating a real house - kind of a Cariocan Gotsford Park!!! I have already asked Carlo a few weeks ago to be involved with renting it and really want Eduardo (whom many of you know) to live in and tend to details. We are scheduled for dinner next week to see about taking those plans one step further.

since I know so many m4m posters and have made many friendships - I thought this would be the ideal way to have a big house, great company and fun, without the place being empty. It will not be done till about May however. There is a yahoo group where the concept plans, drawings, and photos are if anyone wants to check this out at early stages and also, if any posters have some ideas to share about what they would like in this sort of a guesthouse - please email me - any ideas would be VERY helpful.

This is a small place and probably i know enough people to fill it twice over - and as I will be there six months out of the year - it will not solve the problem with the Atlantico and the new policy. I will do what I can and perhaps my hotel background may have some influence. Will let you all know as soon as I know.

Gulliver (michael)

>He said the owner said that there would be no exceptions and that

>any guests that didnt like the policy could find other

>accomodations.

Does anyone know of another decent hotel in the vicinity of Atlantico that will allow guests? Gweyer asked this same question above.

>He said the owner said that there would be no exceptions and that

>any guests that didnt like the policy could find other

>accomodations.

Does anyone know of another decent hotel in the vicinity of Atlantico that will allow guests? Gweyer asked this same question above.

It sure saddens me to read about this change at the Atlantico. After all, it was the place where I spent the most dramatic and happy days since I was a child. The hotel will always generate these happy memories for me and I can only hope they will take a more moderate course in the near term. Gulliver is such a reasonable person, I am sure they will be persuaded by his approach. Gulliver, I am delighted to hear about the progress of Casa de Gulliver and certainly want to add support for your choice of Eduardo for local house Rep. A fine Choice. Wish I was headed down there as soon as you are. But envy is a bad color for me, so I will only wish you a fine trip.

:D

It sure saddens me to read about this change at the Atlantico. After all, it was the place where I spent the most dramatic and happy days since I was a child. The hotel will always generate these happy memories for me and I can only hope they will take a more moderate course in the near term. Gulliver is such a reasonable person, I am sure they will be persuaded by his approach. Gulliver, I am delighted to hear about the progress of Casa de Gulliver and certainly want to add support for your choice of Eduardo for local house Rep. A fine Choice. Wish I was headed down there as soon as you are. But envy is a bad color for me, so I will only wish you a fine trip.

:D

I've always thought of myself as being psyche! And the events of late at the Atlantico Copa Hotel is another indication that I must be so! During my stay there and observing all of the feet strolling into and out of the hotel throughout the 24/7-- I mentioned to at least two M4Mers that this establishment will perhaps change its policy regarding visitors once the majority of us had departed Rio. True enough-- my predication came true in part: mine was that the hotel would charge as fee for nightime and/or daytime guests (if they noted a non-lodger about to take the elevator). The thing that apparently happened was much stronger than mine.

Thanks for our having the Soiree-- we took our guests to our rooms unseen by hotel personnel as all of us did. When I took my muscled guy back with me after 1 am one morning-- the attendant at the desk looked up from his glasses and did not say a word.

My guest and I had a wonderful time, and afterwards the guest had to leave for I had an early morning engagement; he was not in the dining room with us the next morning (although it would have been perfectly ok with me). I enjoyed seeing these beautiful, hunky, short -clad guys in the a. m. Their beauty enhanced the day ahead.

All I can say is: it's too bad and unfortunate for future paying guests, and that I personally DO NOT know of any lodging in Rio that allows guests after a certain hour unless you register them.

Robbguy paid heavily for guests last February during Carnaval; he stayed at another hotel, so I apprised him about the Atlantico seemingly not having a policy for overnight guests.

I've always thought of myself as being psyche! And the events of late at the Atlantico Copa Hotel is another indication that I must be so! During my stay there and observing all of the feet strolling into and out of the hotel throughout the 24/7-- I mentioned to at least two M4Mers that this establishment will perhaps change its policy regarding visitors once the majority of us had departed Rio. True enough-- my predication came true in part: mine was that the hotel would charge as fee for nightime and/or daytime guests (if they noted a non-lodger about to take the elevator). The thing that apparently happened was much stronger than mine.

Thanks for our having the Soiree-- we took our guests to our rooms unseen by hotel personnel as all of us did. When I took my muscled guy back with me after 1 am one morning-- the attendant at the desk looked up from his glasses and did not say a word.

My guest and I had a wonderful time, and afterwards the guest had to leave for I had an early morning engagement; he was not in the dining room with us the next morning (although it would have been perfectly ok with me). I enjoyed seeing these beautiful, hunky, short -clad guys in the a. m. Their beauty enhanced the day ahead.

All I can say is: it's too bad and unfortunate for future paying guests, and that I personally DO NOT know of any lodging in Rio that allows guests after a certain hour unless you register them.

Robbguy paid heavily for guests last February during Carnaval; he stayed at another hotel, so I apprised him about the Atlantico seemingly not having a policy for overnight guests.

Guest josekel3

I've travelled to other parts of Latin Americo where the visitation policy has been a lot more inflexible than what the Atlantico has extended. On one occasion the Atlantico did ask my guest to register. He did and there was no further problem.

To partially circumvent such restricted hotel policies I always make a reservation for 2 people. Generally there is no additional cost. This way the guy you bring to your room is not just visiting your room but is registered to stay in the room and has paid to do so. You are required to write the name of the second person that is registering, but I have found that hotels allow you to change registered guests. During a recent trip to Salvador the hotel where I stayed did not allow registered guests to have visitors, but since I had registered for two I was allowed to bring a guy to my room. Each has to register. When the hotel questioned me about having different guys, I told them that the first guy had left and this second guy was now registering to stay with me. I was only there for a few days so it was not necessary to register a dozen or so guys.

Guest josekel3

I've travelled to other parts of Latin Americo where the visitation policy has been a lot more inflexible than what the Atlantico has extended. On one occasion the Atlantico did ask my guest to register. He did and there was no further problem.

To partially circumvent such restricted hotel policies I always make a reservation for 2 people. Generally there is no additional cost. This way the guy you bring to your room is not just visiting your room but is registered to stay in the room and has paid to do so. You are required to write the name of the second person that is registering, but I have found that hotels allow you to change registered guests. During a recent trip to Salvador the hotel where I stayed did not allow registered guests to have visitors, but since I had registered for two I was allowed to bring a guy to my room. Each has to register. When the hotel questioned me about having different guys, I told them that the first guy had left and this second guy was now registering to stay with me. I was only there for a few days so it was not necessary to register a dozen or so guys.

this was received from Carlo at Romanus this morning - IT seems like the problem is solved -here is his message to me

"As for Atlântico, I spoke to them today and the only thing they will change on their guest’s policy, is that they will card everybody going up, and they won’t allow more than one hustlers going up at the same time. It seems that they had a problem with a hustler breaking into some other guests room, not on the week of the party, but the week after, and many guests had complained that the lobby looked like Via Apia. Thus what they are not going to allow is to have hustler hanging around in the lobby, but people will still be able to bring up their guests, as long as they are properly identified at the reception"

I will be there on Tuesday and will again post what Monica herself has to say.

To all the posters who sent me email regarding the inn that I will open - it will not be ready before May at the earliest, it sleeps 12 for those who asked about renting the whole house, there is no tariff set yet, and the maximum number of suites that are available when I am there is two. Thanks for the ideas you all forwarded

I would also like to encourage you all to use Carlos. He has been invaluable at making phone calls for me, booking inta-Brazil travel and hotels, as well as many various tasks and referrals I could not have accomplished on my own.

His email is romanusrj@uol.com.br

Gulliver (Mike)

this was received from Carlo at Romanus this morning - IT seems like the problem is solved -here is his message to me

"As for Atlântico, I spoke to them today and the only thing they will change on their guest’s policy, is that they will card everybody going up, and they won’t allow more than one hustlers going up at the same time. It seems that they had a problem with a hustler breaking into some other guests room, not on the week of the party, but the week after, and many guests had complained that the lobby looked like Via Apia. Thus what they are not going to allow is to have hustler hanging around in the lobby, but people will still be able to bring up their guests, as long as they are properly identified at the reception"

I will be there on Tuesday and will again post what Monica herself has to say.

To all the posters who sent me email regarding the inn that I will open - it will not be ready before May at the earliest, it sleeps 12 for those who asked about renting the whole house, there is no tariff set yet, and the maximum number of suites that are available when I am there is two. Thanks for the ideas you all forwarded

I would also like to encourage you all to use Carlos. He has been invaluable at making phone calls for me, booking inta-Brazil travel and hotels, as well as many various tasks and referrals I could not have accomplished on my own.

His email is romanusrj@uol.com.br

Gulliver (Mike)

Carlo gave me a call this afternoon and we chatted for quite a while about the Atlântico problem. As Gulliver says, the hotel plans to start asking for ID from the guys, and also wants to put an end to having them hanging around the lobby waiting for customers! I don't think that's unreasonable on the part of the hotel. They have a non-M4M clientele, after all, and they don't want to lose them, either!

My one concern in what Carlo said was the hotel's plan to restrict the number of visitors to anyone's room. As far as I'm concerned, if a a guest is paying for a room s/he is entitled to entertain as many people at a time as s/he cares to as long as other guests aren't being disturbed. So I've asked Carlo to see if that can't be cleared up, as well. There's no reason the hotel can't gather 4 ID's at a time, instead of just one! The main thing is to keep the guys from taking over the lobby. If they just go to the desk and then directly up to someone's room, there shouldn't be a problem. As long as we make it clear we understand the hotel's concerns about the lobby and general security, I think a win-win situation can be worked out for everyone.

BTW, Carlo said the party was NOT the problem; it wasn't mentioned at all. The problems mentioned by the hotel were the robbery and the lobby starting to look like the lounge at the saunas, which was upsetting other (admittedly snobby) guests.

Gulliver, your house ideas sound FAB-u-lous! Can't wait to see the NY Times spread on the new place! ;) Or maybe the one in the Brazilian papers/design magazines! I'm back in town after my romantic getaway in Florianopolis, so give me a call when you get here.

Also, BTW, don't panic anyone if you don't hear from Carlo INSTANTLY when you call/e-mail next week. He's going to be in São Paulo for business all next week. He'll be checking his calls/e-mails, though, and will get back to you as soon as he can.

Carlo gave me a call this afternoon and we chatted for quite a while about the Atlântico problem. As Gulliver says, the hotel plans to start asking for ID from the guys, and also wants to put an end to having them hanging around the lobby waiting for customers! I don't think that's unreasonable on the part of the hotel. They have a non-M4M clientele, after all, and they don't want to lose them, either!

My one concern in what Carlo said was the hotel's plan to restrict the number of visitors to anyone's room. As far as I'm concerned, if a a guest is paying for a room s/he is entitled to entertain as many people at a time as s/he cares to as long as other guests aren't being disturbed. So I've asked Carlo to see if that can't be cleared up, as well. There's no reason the hotel can't gather 4 ID's at a time, instead of just one! The main thing is to keep the guys from taking over the lobby. If they just go to the desk and then directly up to someone's room, there shouldn't be a problem. As long as we make it clear we understand the hotel's concerns about the lobby and general security, I think a win-win situation can be worked out for everyone.

BTW, Carlo said the party was NOT the problem; it wasn't mentioned at all. The problems mentioned by the hotel were the robbery and the lobby starting to look like the lounge at the saunas, which was upsetting other (admittedly snobby) guests.

Gulliver, your house ideas sound FAB-u-lous! Can't wait to see the NY Times spread on the new place! ;) Or maybe the one in the Brazilian papers/design magazines! I'm back in town after my romantic getaway in Florianopolis, so give me a call when you get here.

Also, BTW, don't panic anyone if you don't hear from Carlo INSTANTLY when you call/e-mail next week. He's going to be in São Paulo for business all next week. He'll be checking his calls/e-mails, though, and will get back to you as soon as he can.

Gulliver, I'll be looking forward to your return. Thanks for the kind words on the new BF! What's most impressive, in my opinion, is that he's so nice and seems to have his head so well screwed-on, in spite of having everything it takes to consider himself God's gift to the world! That says a lot to me!

Gulliver, I'll be looking forward to your return. Thanks for the kind words on the new BF! What's most impressive, in my opinion, is that he's so nice and seems to have his head so well screwed-on, in spite of having everything it takes to consider himself God's gift to the world! That says a lot to me!

Well, I am happy to hear that the issue of visitation policy at Atlantico appears to be resolved, or resloving.

I used to stay at Premier Copbacabana next to Estacao but switched to Atlantico because I wanted to be able to have visitors.

I think that we, M4Mer, and Atlantico have mutual interest in resolving this issue. We should respect the interest of the hotel to stay safe, to avoid the need to call the police, and not to offend their other customers. Atlantico management should also recognize that M4Mer have become a major source of their business, mainly because of the Atlantico liberal visitation policy, and its location. Hence they need to accomodate us in a reasonable manner. We all need to be reasonable and understanding. I am looking forward to have some cute guests in my room during my next trip to Rio. I surely will do my best to do that in discrete, and reasonable way.

The hotel I stayed in, in Bangkok last year allowed guests as long as they registered and showed their ID when getting in. The front desk called routinely to check if every thing was OK when my guest was leaving. I found this policy reasonable, and understandable.

The same policy isn't uncommon in Brazilian hotels. I'm surprised the Atlântico hadn't adopted it long before now. But that would go a long way towards resolving their security concerns. We're also going to have to help them in discouraging the guys from using the lobby as a hang-out when they know there are a bunch of gringos in town! They need to just come to the desk, sign-in, and go upstairs. And leave directly after their visits end.

I think the hotel wants to be accommodating, but they don't want to be overwhelmed to the point that their other clientele is driven away. If that happens, we won't have done the hotel any favor! But none of these issues are insurmountable, as long as we and the hotel make an honest effort to work them out.

Archived