THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Translator software

jackhammer91406
This topic is 7619 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey guys,

while in RIO, someone mentioned a software program that allows you to compose English in Word and then translate it to Protuguese so thayou can use it in email. Alex and I have been exchanging limited messages but I would like to send a longer message. Anyone know of software available online that can do it and is it free (or at least resonably priced?)

thanks

Well, there's Altavista. (Actually, I think you can also find it now on Google, under Language Tools or something like that.) You can type whatever you want into it, translate it, and then cut and paste into an e-mail or any other document. Be warned, though, that the Portuguese translator isn't fabulous. Use VERY short,

direct, basic sentences to get the best results. Don't use compound sentences, or elaborate descriptions, because they'll get fairly mangled. But as long as you keep it simple your results should be OK.

>Well, there's Altavista. (Actually, I think you can also

>find it now on Google, under Language Tools or something like

>that.) You can type whatever you want into it, translate it,

>and then cut and paste into an e-mail or any other document.

>Be warned, though, that the Portuguese translator isn't

>fabulous. Use VERY short,

> direct, basic sentences to get the best results. Don't use

>compound sentences, or elaborate descriptions, because they'll

>get fairly mangled. But as long as you keep it simple your

>results should be OK.

It's easily available and easy to use, and better than having nothing at all. But HEAVY emphasis on tri's "isn't fabulous," "short basic sentences," and "simple," for ALL the languages that are available, not just Portuguese. And DON'T use slang or colloquialisms, or words/constructions that are ambiguous. Pretend that you are talking to someone (the software) who understands very little English. Compose your text in advance and then go over it to simplify it and remove anything that could be misinterpreted, rather than just composing a text into the translator.

To get an idea of what can happen to your words, try putting some normal English into the translator, translate it into one of the available languages, and then copy and translate that back into English (don't forget to change the direction of translation). You'll be astonished at how garbled the result is, and may even have trouble figuring out what was originally written.

Example: The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

translated into...

Spanish and back: The alcohol is arranged but the meat is weak.

Portuguese and back: The spirit is made use but the meat is weak.

French and back: The spirit is laid out but the flesh is it weak?

Italian and back: The spirit is arranged but the meat is weak person.

Some of the Altavista translators seem better than others. The English to French one does a pretty good job, even with longer sentences. The English to Portuguese one must be more basic, because the results are pretty comic unless you stick with the short, direct sentence method. If you know SOME Spanish or Portuguese you can catch some of the errors or mistranslations and fix them yourself when you cut and paste. I do that with the French; it seems to get the sentence structure OK but sometimes chooses an odd word for the English original. (I guess context is difficult for the computer to figure out.) Anyway, it's much better than nothing!

JH, carpe diem and start studying Portuguese, and let Alex be your motivation. Barnes and Noble sells about the first half of Pimsleur I (the series is called Instant Conversation) cheaply, then you can see if that system works for you. If you like it, you can find the comprehensive I more cheaply on a site like ebay. Get a used copy of "Falando, Lendo, Escrevendo Português" (the standard college Portuguese I textbook) from Amazon or abe.com. Even "Teach Yourself Portuguese" by Manuela Cook (which I got at a B & N here in New York) is a good start. You'll be amazed at how much and how quickly you will learn now that you have a motivation. Also, listening to Brazilian music (especially the slow love songs) is a great way to hear pronunciation, learn more Portuguese, and to conjure up seu namorado. Once you're touched by Brasil, there's no turning back!

guys,

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I have already tried the Google tranlator for a love note to Alex. I did buy the 4 tape Pimsleur series prior to my trip, but didn't get very far, time always had other demands. I was somewhat able to communicate since I know some spanish and the two languages are similar except variences in pronunciation. Catnip, you are right about having motivation to learn. I hope to do that. Making the first visit was such a miracle of finances, it's hard to believe blessings could come twice, but I am hoepful to go again late spring next year. Well, you have to have something to look forward to right? Suddenly back home, I am very mindful of what's missing after 14 wonderful days. Can't imagine I will be happy again until I am with him, or someone as loving.

x(

Archived