THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

It´s Like Dejà Vu All Over Again!

Guest jjme
This topic is 7713 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well I´m in the middle of MY first Rio visit. And I do want to offer a big thank you to all of the posters who have offered so much information over these months. I have found ALL of the information given by the regular, nice-guy posters to be 100% accurate. Having read over the info many times before arriving, when my taxi first arrived in the area of the Atlantico it was like I had been there before! I´ve easily found my way to the restaurants, saunas, metro, internet, etc., etc.

Don´t really have too much to add; it´s all been said! But I am finding some wonderful venues for live music. The weather is warm enough for me, though. Don´t think I could ever take a `summer`visit.

I really enjoyed a historical tour through the minas region and my plan for a few days rest in the cool mountains of the Imperial City, Petropolis worked out very nicely.

I´ll be on line a couple of times over the next few days. So if there are any specific questions, ask.

Thanks again for the help!:-)

I'd like to hear about your experiences with live music venues. Modern Sound (THE place for Brazlian Music CD's) has an elevated area with a cafe and a space for performances. It seemed that there were regularly scheduled ones.

There's live music of one kind or another almost every afternoon at Modern Sound. The "elevated area" is the café, which is also a nice spot for lunch, tea, a drink or a light meal, especially on a hot summer day when the fierce air conditioning is very welcome!

In addition to the regularly scheduled musical attractions, there are often special events later in the evening, beginning around 8:00 p.m. You can find out about programming at Modern Sound itself, or in the music/show listings in the entertainment supplements of the Friday papers. The musical shows are popular and frequently fill up (especially the special events) so if you want a seat call or go by Modern Sound as soon as you can to reserve a table for the date/performance you're interested in.

I'd highly recommend Vinicius in Ipanema for sultry bossa nova, samba, jazz, and other popular music. Its address at tel. are: Rua Vinicius de Moraes 39, Ipanema, 021 2287-1497. Although I went alone, the ambiance and music kept me in touch for two hours.

Another venue is PLATAFORMA where one get "the most spectacular of Rio's samba shows..." Rua Adalberto Ferreira 32, Leblon, tel. 021 2274-4022. I went with a small group with a tour company where we had dinner in Ipanema first before venturing to this event. I took a table by self and enjoyed the show and the eye candy. ( I think Carlo has this as part of the tours that he offers.)

Lastly-- I went to a large music store in Rio Sul's shopping center which has a vast array of cd's, books, etc. There are banks of earphones provided for one's listening enjoyment!

***On October 24-25, there will be a Brazilian -American Jazz fest held in Rio; I plan to go; I alerted Carlo about this event, but he has yet to receive information. I'd rather purchase tickets through him than on the net in the US. When I went to the Carnavale Parade of Champions, I got excellent tickets in reais through a connection that I happened upon by chance...

Yes, I couple of you guys have mentioned my discoveries... Modern Sound for late-afternoon live music. Vinicius club in Ipanema. In Lapa I enjoyed an evening at Rio Scenarium (Pça. Tiradentes). There´s even a small place on the street right above the S. C. entrance to the metro aptly named Estaçao Metro. The richness and quality of Brazilian music is astounding.

My 2 cents on some other things as a first timer in Rio...

*I very much like the Hotel Atlantico. The location is easy for everything (it´s literally the first building you see when you come up from the metro stop). The staff is very friendly. Carlo gets a good discount.

*The Rio metro is world-class. Subways are a hobby of mine and I´ve experienced the systems in over 25 world cities. I think Rio´s is the best. It´s not a huge system; but it covers most areas of interest. The cars are wide, clean and air-conditioned. The stations are attractive. Classical music is played. It´s safe, trains run frequently until 11 a.m. I am impressed!

*Safety does not seem to be a worry. Follow the advice you´ve read here. With so many ATM´s available all over, I´ve not used my credit cards at all (including at Saunas). Follow Carlo´s advice... carry just the $ you´ll spend in a day or night and only a COPY of your passport>visa. Otherwise $1 a day for using the hotel safe is the way to go.

*I´ve not visited Rogers or Estaçio because I´ve been advised that they are both a bit run down. I´ve enjoyed Club 117 and Pointe 202; the facilities at both are comfortable. I especially enjoyed watching the guys use the gym equipment at 202 and the checkered-floor bar at 117 is really festive. There is NO reason to be self-concious at all about clothing>body type. I´m sensative to this sort of thing and, believe me, no one is looking, judging; it´s a very accepting environment. I decided to bring along gym shorts and shirt. This works fine and I carry a towel instead of wearing one. I don´t want to sound arrogant but I must say that only a couple of the guys out of the 20+ at both places really sparked my interest; maybe I have really high standards when I´m paying or it´s just my taste. But during my visits I was able to connect with the guys I wanted so there was no problem. Many of the guys are a bit older and act kind of `professionally.` Some are very laid back and don´t seem to want to connect with anyone. I look for a younger and more innocent type. The bino sessions I´ve seen are sort of wierd but seem popular. They shows have been fun. I´ve had one guy visit at the hotel; it was really nice. So much more relaxed and personal. My taste seems to be to use the sauna to connect with someone and then save the sauna bill and do a home visit!

*I´m not a night owl so I´ve only seen the scene at the yellow awning restaurant once. This was early in my stay and I don´t think there were many if any M4Mers present. But there were 15+ guys across the street as previously described on this board. Sorry, but I found this not to be a pleasant thing. Unlike in the sauna where the environment seems fairly healthy (physically AND psychologically), these guys seemed sad and desparate as they looked towards the restaurant´s tables. And their chances of connecting seemed very low. Neither did they seem to be in good shape physically.

*As fun as the sauna scene is, don´t forget to realize all that Rio and Brazil have to offer. The music, culture, history and genuinely nice people. I´d have found my way here eventually, saunas or not!

Guest Jaunty

>I'd highly recommend Vinicius in Ipanema for sultry bossa

>nova, samba, jazz, and other popular music. Its address at

>tel. are: Rua Vinicius de Moraes 39, Ipanema, 021 2287-1497.

Unlike the Samba, Bossa Nova hasn't evolved with the times and is considered "vintage" music. Going to Brasil for Bossa Nova is a bit like going to NYC to dance the twist at the Peppermint Lounge! Bossa Nova fans don't have many choices but Vinicius is great, not just for music but watching the warmth of Brasilians at play.

Just across the intersection is the Garota de Ipanema cafe which is a great place for lunch. Easy to assume that the place was named after the BN standard (The Girl from Ipanema) but I understand it was the other way around. Just as the song writer was inspired by the passing throng, you too will enjoy the eye candy! Took Alan K there on last trip and then we walked up the street(away from beach) about 2 blocks to a small music store, Toca da Vinicius, at Rua Vini. de Moraes 129, which is devoted to Bossa Nova. CD's, history, sheet music, etc.

Enjoy!

Jaunty

Guest BottomBoyRandy8

Help!

Does anyone know anything about the JW Marriott Hotel in Rio? On Av Atlantica 2600, Copacabana.......

I have 7 free reward nights there and was planning to use them but want to be sure that I'm in the best area for "action"

If you know the location or any comments...good or bad....I'd really appreciate them...thanks guys!!!

Hey Randy - The JWM is very well located right by the intersection of Santa Clara and an easy walk from everything. It's just a few streets south of Sequora Campos which is sort of the axis of most of the places talked about here. Copacabana is only four main blocks deep Halfway up the first block from Atlantica is the Sequora Grille - a great per kilo restaurant when you don't know where else you want to go. a few steps further is a small side street running along the back of the park (turn right on this side street one block is Corujinha's (the yellow awning late night restaurant hangout).

Continue up Sequora Campos past Avenida Copacabana and Barata Rubeiro and the next (and last) main north/south street is Tonellero. Opposite you on the corner is the Atlantico. On the other corner the Metro. Turn left one block is Estacao. Go straight ahead (bearing left at the fork) 1 1/2 blocks is Point 202 (which is its address)

Have a ball!

Over a year ago, TomCal wrote about the Marriott; I recall his stating that he had to sneak company/guests to his room. He lauded the fact that he was successful at this.

Although the previous respondent was precise in location-- I found it to be a little walk (in a big sense) to the saunas and restaurants. My friend and I strolled some ten blocks along Av. Atlantica during Carnaval; I decided I wanted to see what the lobby of the Marriott looked like. We venured in-- perused the interior and left; I remember I had a somewhat long walk in getting back to the Atlantico from the Marriott.

PS See what's in the archives regarding the JW Marriott; others have written about it.

Sounds good. I'm now looking forward to my trip to Rio next week. I'm also going to be staying at Hotel Atlantico Copacabana. Is it difficult to bring a guy back to the hotel? What do I tell the front desk? Thanks!

-zenrio

It sounded that the people at Hotel Atlantico Copacabana are friendlier. I guess that's why I'm planning to stay over there on my trip. Just wondering, do you guys have problem bringing guys back to your hotel room? What do you tell the hotel's front desk? Is it alright to bring more than one guy back to the hotel room?

From the reports of other M4Mers, there's no problem at all bringing guys to your room at the Atlântico, as long as they're appropriately dressed when they come through the lobby. You don't have to tell the desk anything, at the Atlântico the guys can go straight to your room. If someone does go the desk to ring your room when they arrive, and the desk calls to announce a visitor, just say "pode subir" ("he can come up").

If you have an overnighter, the hotel also doesn't seem to make a big fuss about charging extra for your guest if you take him to breakfast, which most other Rio hotels would do. Nor do they charge you a double room rate for having guests. All in all, it's very congenial. Just use the search feature within the message center to read some of the many reports on the Atlântico by satisfied M4Mers.

Trilingual answered your question quite succinctly; I'd just like to add: be discreet and there will NOT be a problem.

Last February/March during Carnaval-- I observed some women signing in at the desk with the men who had undoubtedly engaged their services standing beside them. For my guests who came to the hotel by themselves-- one signed in on his own volition; the other just came up to my room. The former rang my room and announced his presence; when he left, the hotel rang my room to inquire about my safety.

Follow Tri's advice; be cool, and everything should work in your favor!

Archived