THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

ATM's

world traveler
This topic is 7721 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There are lots of HSBC branches in the big cities, both in Brazil and Argentina. You can get a full list of branch addresses, I'm sure, by going to HSBC's web site.

In Rio, however, there are several branches in Copacabana. Nearest to the Atlântico, as I recall, would be the branch on Av. Copacabana (ocean side of the street) between Siqueira Campos and Figueiredo Magalhães. In other words, about three blocks from the hotel. I recall that there are also branches on Av. Princesa Isabel and on the ground floor of the RioSul Shopping Center, among other locations, including downtown, Ipanema/Leblon and Barra.

São Paulo is also well supplied with HSBC branches; there's one on Praça da República downtown, close to the airport express bus terminal and the hotels on très gay Av. Vieira de Carvalho.

Chances are, HSBC also has an ATM at the Rio airport. Most of the ATMs are on the top floor of the terminal, along with other shops and bank branches. You'll have to take the elevator or escalator upstairs after you leave customs and immigration. Check HSBC's website to see if it gives the exact location of their airport ATMs. However, you can wait until you get to town, if you prefer. The airport taxi booths outside of customs and immigration take credit/debit cards for your fare into the city, and then you can just get cash at your leisure once you've checked into your hotel.

IMPORTANT: First because of last year's energy crisis and continuing because of security issues, most ATMs in Brazil close at 10:00 p.m., so try to get whatever money you need during the day.

I was recently in Rio and there were ATM's on just about every block...The best programmed machines were Citibank. Walk three blocks in any direction and you're sure to find an HSBC bank.

The bank conversion rate at ATM's was typically $R 2.86 to $1 USD. (The Currency Converter at the top of this website is amazingly close.)

Beware of hotels or tour agencies that quote you a price in USD but the present you with the bill in Reias - at THEIR conversation rate, screwing you out of about $2 for every $30 you spend by my calculations.

You can also use your ATM card at branches of Brazilian banks with machines linked to the international network. Not all machines are linked, however, and sometimes you have to ask which one is the magic ATM. A clue is if the machine has a sticker with the international logos for Cirrus, Plus, MasterCard, Visa, etc. There should be such machines at most Banco do Brasil or Bradesco branches.

Especially at larger branches, not all machines perform all functions. Look for machines marked "Saque" ("Withdrawal"). Other machines often only take deposits, are used for bill payments, etc. and not for withdrawals.

Oh, one more thing about ATM's, Citibank doles up to a maximum of $R1,000 whereas the others that I ran into kept it to R$500. Once, at Citibank, I got R41,000, and then asked for another R$1,000 and it gave it to me, PLUS showed me exactly how much I had left in my meager bank account. And DO get your money early as Tri pointed out - even in SP. The bank door may say 30 or 24 horas, but it is not.

BTW, I am not a Citibank customer, nor have I ever been. I just like having enough money on hand and I found their machines were user friendly to English speaking idiots as myself.

Guest Gringo

42,000 reis?!!! how many, if i may ask, first borns were you intending to purchase with that withdrawal?:+

Glad to see the Hoo Meister is having some fun down south. Have you done any of the sauna's yet? Can't wait to here all the good stuff. HUGS Have fun be in your old digs next week. Htown with a mutal friend Gentle Ben. HUGS Chuck50

Guest Tomcal_

There is a HCBS bank about 100 feet down from the Blockbuster/citibank ATM on Copacabana blvd(near the intersection with Magdalahes). I used it when the Blockbuster/Citibank Atm runs out of cash on Sundays, which it has done on all 5 of my trips to Rio!

Eat at Ruggles on Westheimer. Ask for the window seat by the sidewalk. Watch the eye candy stroll by and organize a party. For food, order anything, it's all good. (Wish I could remember the wine you can only get at Ruggles, but I quit drinking and can't remember a thing non sexual.)

So as not to hijack the thread, There is a Bank of America ATM across from Ruggles at the Shamrock gas station, open 24 hours. You can withdraw as much as $1,000 USD.

With that money, walk two blocks south on Montrose to the men's boutique (on the right side of the street) for outstanding clothes.

Then drag Ben to Grandma's. Ask for the picture window room.

Remove Ben's new clothes and let the fun begin.

Saw the ATM you mentioned. Also visited the store M2M today and Ben got some hot Bathing suits and underware. Didn't make it to Ruggles yet but had a nice time at Americas last nite pre Grandma's (review to follow) of yes good time had by all. HUGS Chuck

Archived