THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Various questions. (mostly Rio saunas and some party questions)

Driver
This topic is 7738 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A hodge podge of questions I'm afraid;

(1) Has anyone else found that previous partners in the saunas will often approach you for food and drinks even when you have not been with them that night? How have you handled that? (Often i feel I'm feeding the 5000) 117 seems worse for this.

(2) Has anyone done the one day Jeep tour? Can you recommend it?

(3) Other than (2) above and the statue of christ and sugarloaf mountain, are there any other really good day trips anyone has done and can recommend?

(4) For those of you going next October, are you planning any day trips?

(5)At the parties were there any sauna boys that did not get any business? If so were they a bit pissed off? Did any client not wanting sex those evenings get pestered at the party by the boys?

(6) Did every boy at the party approach it primarily as an earnings event or were some just happy to be there for the atmosphere? with so many bedrooms available did the number of clients at the party ever drop to low numbers for any period?

(7)With so many M4Mers in the saunas at the same time was it ever a problem getting hold of the boy you wanted? (yes I have seen the frigate bird references in earlier posts)Or did you guys split up and do different saunas swapping tales later at Jabbas or at breakfast?

(8) Is it me or has the number of posts to this section gone down recently? (Perhaps the FAQ has cut out some posts) Itsjust that by the questions asked you got a good idea of who was planiing what visits and it seems a bit quiet now).

Thats it for now (14 weeks to go)

Well Driver, I may have trouble remembering all your questions, but basically, I too have been slightly annoyed by people asking for things, esp. at 117, but when you think about how cheap it all really is, my attitude is that if they were decent sex, or better, I'll buy them a drink or whatever they want. If they didn't try in the room, which is rare but does happen, I brush them off. Remember, this is a deeply class oriented society--just adopt the tone that you're their boss/parent. Do this, and they will take no for an answer. As to tours, I took a half day tour of the Tijuca Forest that was very nice. This October, I'm hoping to take a full day trip to Petropolis which I'm going to have Carlo Romano arrange for me. As to the party, my one experience was that they hoped to make money but most thought of it as a party with money making opportunities thrown in. Only one guy acted like it was my responsibility to make sure he got business, and when I got a bit steamed, his friends were very solicitous in making me calm down. In fact, I think that they all got plenty of work. But we did have presents for everybody, so nobody went home empty-handed. And, in spite of the voracious appetites of some, there were always more than enough guys for everybody. And may I say, you sound too much like me before my first trip to Brazil. In fact, it's all so easy and works so smoothly, that there just aren't that many problems to be resolved. SF Traveler

Guest Tomcal_

(1) Has anyone else found that previous partners in the saunas will often approach you for food and drinks even when you have not been with them that night? How have you handled that? (Often i feel I'm feeding the 5000) 117 seems worse for this.

Answer:

Yes, this happens and it really depends on the guy. If it's someone that is not pushy and I had a good time with him, I dont' mind buying him a drink(were talking about $1.00 more or less. The guys at 117 are definitly more pushy and it may be because they have hot food there and the guys can get a meal. I have no problem saying no if I felt like it and the boys don't hold it against you! They appear to operate on the "nothing ventured, nothing gained" philosophy.

(2) Has anyone done the one day Jeep tour? Can you recommend it?

Answer:

I have take the 1/2 day Tijunca rain forest Jeep tour and it is worth it! (I did this on my very first trip to Rio, before I realized all the sightseeing I wanted to do was inside suanas! LOL

Take the morning tour, the afternoon one can be very hot! You are in the back of a open air jeep that is configured to hold 6 people.

(3) Other than (2) above and the statue of christ and sugarloaf mountain, are there any other really good day trips anyone has done and can recommend?

No!~

(4) For those of you going next October, are you planning any day trips?

Answer:

I want to do the Jeep tour again, we saw marmoset monkeys, Toucans, and specatular views of Rio from several vantage points

(5)At the parties were there any sauna boys that did not get any business? If so were they a bit pissed off? Did any client not wanting sex those evenings get pestered at the party by the boys?

Answer:

There were a few that didn't get business, but wasn't a problem. I was trying to help this situation by doing 3somes!!lol None of boys pestered that I saw.

(6) Did every boy at the party approach it primarily as an earnings event or were some just happy to be there for the atmosphere? with so many bedrooms available did the number of clients at the party ever drop to low numbers for any period?

Answer:

The only time the numbers dropped was about an hour into it, when my friend and I took 4 of the boys down to the room for about 45 mins.!

(7)With so many M4Mers in the saunas at the same time was it ever a problem getting hold of the boy you wanted? (yes I have seen the frigate bird references in earlier posts)Or did you guys split up and do different saunas swapping tales later at Jabbas or at breakfast?

Answer:

FRIGATE BIRD!! I think it was my friend Gulliver that made that reference to me, and I took in the spirit it was given...as a Compliment! I said it in a previous post, there was NEVER a shortage of Boys on any night!! Always at least 5 to one or so. When word spreads that there are more then the normal number of Americans there in October, many more boys who only come infrequently or once a week to the saunas(I know of at least 1/2 dozen that do this) will start coming every day!Some nights would find some of us at different suanas or often going to two different ones on the same night, and we always tried to reconvine at Jabbas at Midnight where we had a standing 3+table reservation(I gave the waiter $20.reias each night to hold the tables for the next night)

(8) Is it me or has the number of posts to this section gone down recently? (Perhaps the FAQ has cut out some posts) Itsjust that by the questions asked you got a good idea of who was planiing what visits and it seems a bit quiet now).

I think so many issues/questions have been addressed in the archives and previous threads that a lot of the guys get their questions answered and dont' have the need to post as often.

Look forward to seeing you in October!

RE: Various questions. (mostly Rio saunas and some part...

Hi Driver,

Based on talking with Tomcal a few weeks ago, I plan to do the jeep trip. I also hope to go to the falls. I am planning on trying to do this two day trip midweek although I haven't made any reservations for either side trip yet. Would love to plan together if you are up for it. I don't know if I will do much else other than the Cristo statue and sugar loaf.

See you

;)

Thanks for the replies so far guys - I tried not to sound paranoid regarding the party questions but I was genuinely curious as to how it went for everyone. I had visions of some poor M4Mer stuck with six boys at the end of the evening all trying to make a buck. Its good that the numbers drifted down towards the end allowing a visit to Jabba's hut.

You say it all goes smoothly but you were fortunate that everyone was so easy going and not parochial. Given that some of you chose boys who you must have had a view to sleep with on the night, it could have been galling to see them slope off with another M4Mer. I'm trying to imagine what I would feel like if the one boy I invite would go off with another guy (Hmm visions of the shower scene in Psycho spring to mind)

Being fairly excited about October I have been looking out for gift ideas and novelty items for the party but have yet to see something suitable other than some unusual flavours of Pringles which I bought seeing as they have a long shelf life. I mention this now in case we all turn up with some! (Spanish salsa, Paprika, and Cheese and onion flavours LOL). I thought maybe I would buy some duty free cigarettes on the way in to Brasil and cellotape a lighter to each pack for the boys but i'm not sure you can pack lighters in your case can you? (Being a non-smoker I dont mind using my allowance for this) I could not remember if disposable lighters were cheap there or not. On the question of duty frees. technically there is a limit on what you spend going into Brasil but has anyone ever had problems going over that limit? 1000 fags etc or 3 litres of spirits?

Certainly a jeep tour appeals to me and if anyone will be there during my dates do think of me when making a booking as I would love to come along also (19/10/03-6/11/03) Similarly with any other visits.

Not all of the boys smoke, and it's not a habit I personally ever want to encourage, so I'd suggest thinking about another gift! But if you do bring cigarettes, I don't know that disposable lighters are a good idea. They're flammable and they could leak under pressure. Besides, they're available at every newstand in Brazil.

Remember that in addition to the US$500 of goods you're allowed to bring in, you're also allowed another US$500 worth of goods purchased at the duty-free shops in the Brazilian airport where you arrive. You can bring up to 2 liters of booze with you, as I recall, but you can buy all you want (up to your limit) at the duty-free shop, so long as it isn't 20 bottles of the same thing, which makes them think you're importing it for commercial purposes.

T-shirts and baseball caps always work well (medium size seems to work best, with maybe a few large just in case). Things that say "Brighton" or "London" would be welcome, I'm sure. Gimmicky things like the self-lighting ice cubes Gulliver brought to the last party were enjoyed by all. (Hey, Gulliver, you might as well bring more of them, because there's probably going to be a whole new cast of characters at the next party!)

Unless you're really broke or you've been solicited by umpteen guys, I don't think it's bad to buy a drink or snack for an "old flame" at the baths. Remember that you may see them elsewhere, like at Corujinha or the discos, and it's commonly expected that well-to-do friends will treat. In return, the guys will treat you as a friend, and do little favors for you if asked, like walking you to the subway if it's late at night. Personal relationships are very important in Latin culture; the guys may be working at the saunas because it's their best opportunity to make a living, but it doesn't mean they don't also enjoy themselves. It also means they develop friendly relationships with many of their clients; you'll often see at some of the saunas like Roger's or Fragata (in SP) the guys just sitting around playing cards or otherwise shooting the breeze with some of the regulars, who may be dressed and not really cruising that day. As I try to keep reminding readers of this board, if you don't treat the guys like commodities, they won't treat you like one, either, and everyone will have a much nicer and more enjoyable time!

Anyway, the great thing about Brazil is there's really nothing to sweat. You have to really WORK at having a bad time! Fortunately, hardly anyone wants to put in that kind of effort, so they end up having a memorable time, instead! Enjoy, kiddo!

being the party was on the 14th floor in my suite and on the roof deck both in April and June, I was always around at the end and I can categorically say that only 3 out of about 25 boys did not benefit financially from the parties and they only slightly grumbled - very slightly. The majority see it as a business "rain-making" event and its something you do when you conduct sauna boy business. If you invite a boy BE CLEAR that it is NOT your responsibility if they hook up and they get paid NOTHING for being there. Good businessmen do not hang around with a group of their peers, socialize, and hook up.

to set the record straight TOMcal, it was not me (check your friend Doug,hmmmm) who called you a frigate bird. I amy have said you were a slut, or insatiable, or or your presence makes the lobby of the Atlantico look like a gay doctors waiting room, BUT in never said the word frigate bird. But if the shoe fits, etc.....

About the parties- there was never a shortage of sauna boys working the floor at any point even though a half dozen may have been in the TomCal-Doug suite. No m4m er was pestered to any extent to have sex who did not want to have it.

It is my opinion, that when a group of us descend on Rio - we meet many many more boys than we do when we go alone and there is more bounty because they are aware that we are there en masse at the Atlantico. Tri - i will bring more cubes and PERSONALLY hand them out to the boys. The Barretos cowboys will be there and they are staying withme. I will introduce you(promise) and when Florida robb returns to NYC I will have him teach me how to email you their pictures.

any word on anyone joining our group in Europe and Istanbul this early october - kind of an executive board meeting pre Soiree II.

Guest Looking4Fun

Hey man,

This was my first trip to Rio and as I hired many guided tours, for I went to Rio not only to go to the baths, I can give you some suggestions:

>A hodge podge of questions I'm afraid;

>

>(1) Has anyone else found that previous partners in the saunas

>will often approach you for food and drinks even when you have

>not been with them that night? How have you handled that?

>(Often i feel I'm feeding the 5000) 117 seems worse for this.

Sure. Boys at the Copacabana saunas and at 117 are very pushy and are always trying to get some extra from their patrons. Fortunately I had a guide next to me, who didn't let me be bothered too much. That's why I really enjoyed Meio Mundo, guys were great, a bit shy and I was the one who would take the initiative most of the times.

>

>(2) Has anyone done the one day Jeep tour? Can you recommend

>it?

> I took the jeep tour and it's really worth it. I went to visit a favela, and I had to take with 1 pack of sugar or any other food to give to the family that we visited their house for a social program that they run... I recommend it.

>(3) Other than (2) above and the statue of christ and

>sugarloaf mountain, are there any other really good day trips

>anyone has done and can recommend?

Whoever says that there's nothing else to see doesn't know anything about Rio, except for the bath joints. There are so many things to see and do, that I suggest you to contact a local guide such as Carlo Romanus who really knows about the city. I took a number of tours and I am coming in December, because I couldn't see it all. I recommend a boat trip to their main bay Guanabaram, where you can see some fortresses, palace and some other impressive buildings. Also a downtown tour with a trip over the arches in Lapa. But there are so many other things to do. I think you should check on some guides such as Lonely Planet, because Rio is much more than just Sugar Loaf and the Christ.

>(4) For those of you going next October, are you planning any

>day trips?

No, unfortunately I won't be there in October, but only in Dec.

>

>(5)At the parties were there any sauna boys that did not get

>any business? If so were they a bit pissed off? Did any client

>not wanting sex those evenings get pestered at the party by

>the boys?

No, comments. I missed it.

>

>(6) Did every boy at the party approach it primarily as an

>earnings event or were some just happy to be there for the

>atmosphere? with so many bedrooms available did the number of

>clients at the party ever drop to low numbers for any period?

Same as above.

>(7)With so many M4Mers in the saunas at the same time was it

>ever a problem getting hold of the boy you wanted? (yes I have

>seen the frigate bird references in earlier posts)Or did you

>guys split up and do different saunas swapping tales later at

>Jabbas or at breakfast?

I went to many different saunas in Rio (saunas with and without boys) and there was always plenty of delicious boys to service me.

>

>(8) Is it me or has the number of posts to this section gone

>down recently? (Perhaps the FAQ has cut out some posts)

>Itsjust that by the questions asked you got a good idea of who

>was planiing what visits and it seems a bit quiet now).

I can't say much about it.

>Thats it for now (14 weeks to go)

Driver- I skipped two or three of the preceding posts in order to write, but once I complete this-- I shall go back and read.

Your thread is interesting: I'd suggest Petropolis for a day trip, for it's worthwhile. I just might go again when I return in October; I also plan to take the Jeep Tour and a tour to Tijuca Forest, all arranged by Carlo; Carlo will be seeing me on other of his tours prior to the Soiree.

Have you thought about going to Paratay for at least two days?

A city tour is worthwhile; it includes more than the obvious two sitesin RIo; even lunch is thrown in...

Like Tri, please buy other goodies for the guys other than cigarettes and lighter. The only place I encountered smoking was in the lobby of the Atlantico, and when this occurred-- I had to saunter to another section; I primarily live in a smoke free environment in California; when someone smokes, it really gets to me. Strangely enough I didn't enounter too many smokers in the places in Rio where I ventured; this included the saunas, restaurants, the boat trip sponsored by Apollus' Agency, on the streets even, at Carnaval, at Rio Sul, on the beach. Perhaps I was just lucky, but if we can be in a smoke free environment, that would be great; if someone does happen to smoke-- I know how to adapt! That's all I can think of except I did have a guy I met at the sauna (my friend's date) ask me to buy him a drink or give him some reais for his merely telling me to get in a certain line while I was at the popular famous gay ball during Carnaval. I was pissed, but I did not give in to his request. I just thought-- damn-- do a favor without wanting any recompense in return.

Guest BeguiledTraveler

Just to add my "two cents" regarding other places to experience in Rio.

One of my favorite places is the Botanic Gardens - a $R10 cab ride from the Atlantico Hotel.

Unbelievable gardens with wildlife (Toucans and Monkeys in the trees overhead) - all forms of birds and other wildlife.

Beautiful gardens - huge and unusual trees - the large amazon water lily plant, etc.

And best of all - very peaceful (at least when I went on a weekday)- I was one of the only persons in the place.

I also second a tour of the Tijuca Forest. I took a private tour - went for a 3 hour hike in the trails, etc. A great experience.

Enjoy!!!

Carlo, Mike of Miketur, and other agencies can schedule interesting walking tours of downtown Rio, focusing on history, art, architecture, etc. On your own you can also explore the museums and churches downtown, using a good guide book. There's a lot to see.

Petrópolis and Paraty are both interesting day or weekend trips, as Búzios also might be. For someone with a bit more time, an excursion to the colonial cities in Minas Gerais would be recommended, beginning with Ouro Preto and Congonhas.

If you're adventurous, you might also consider going hanggliding. They have several outfits that operate near São Conrado Beach. You get strapped into a harness with your instructor (who does all the steering) and run off a cliff about 1000 or 1500 feet high, and glide down for about 10 or 15 minutes. The instructors speak English (mine was a total hottie!) and are very personable. They can also take pictures of you during your trip with a camera mounted on a corner of the wing. I forget which outfit I went with - they were in a little house just on the grassy strip just off the beach. This might be the company:

http://airadventures.net/hang_gliding/sao_conrado.htm

It's a good idea to tip the instructor afterwards, though mine wasn't pushy at all about a tip. I had no idea how much to give, but the other people in my group were giving 50 reais, so I did the same. It was practically worth that to be strapped in a harness with him!

I went to the gardens and found them to be rather, rather lovely. They are purported to the the largest natural venue of their kind in the world, or perhaps I'm confusing them with T... Forest.

If one goes, I'd suggest that he goes with one or two others. Although I liked this flora very much-- that's when loneliness set in with me in Oct of 2002.

Archived