THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

dress or undress

world traveler
This topic is 7745 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well here is a question regarding the saunas in Rio. Does everyone get undressed in the sauna and wear a towel, or something like that or do guys (customers) come in and sit around in street clothes. Or is not the right thing to do? I know in most saunas, guys do undress, but I think I have seen comments on here regarding it is not necessary to undress until perhaps you meet someone you might be interested in.

WT

It's customary to undress. On occasion, regular local customers will come into the sauna dressed to see a special show or just to have a drink with a friend. On a very busy night when lockers are in short supply some guys may wait in the bar or lounge dressed until a locker becomes available. But the norm is to undress and roam the facilities wearing a towel and rubber sandals.

If you're worried about your body, don't be. As you'll see, there are many clients at the saunas who are remarkably unspectacular, physique-wise, including yours truly, who is a pale, tubby, 5'6"! You may experience a few moments of self-consciousness when you first take off your clothes, but after about 90 seconds, when you see all the gorgeous working guys around you, you won't have much time to think about yourself! There will be much bigger and better things to concentrate on! And don't forget, these are actually saunas, so you'll hardly be able to enjoy the wet and dry saunas, showers, jacuzzis (at Lagoa), etc. if you're wearing all your clothes! The saunas are also usually warm and steamy, especially in summertime, and being dressed there can become quite uncomfortable (beyond the fact that you will stand out).

So live up to your monniker, and like a true world traveler, do as the Romans (or in this case the Brazilians) do, and enjoy your time at the sauna towel-clad.

BTW, if you're stout (like yours truly) remember to ask for a "toalha (pron. toe-AH-lyuh) grande" to get one that closes around the middle. Some of the saunas also offer terry bathrobes (a "roupão", pron. row-POUNd minus that final d) for a few reais extra. They're popular with locals on cool nights, like in the winter in São Paulo, but quite handy if you're still feeling a bit shy!

The first few trips to the rio saunas, I undressed and wore a towel.

The last three trips, I never once did and neither did most of my friends. We treat the longue area just like a regular bar. While drinking and snacking I am more comfortable in Tshirt, shorts, and flip flops. When I meet someone and arrange a cabin, I just grab a towel from the floor attendent and sometimes after will remain in it although its usually easier just to shower, toss the towel, and put my shorts and T back on.

Did the same in Lagoa over easter and last weekend. Do whatever makes you comfortable - no one will notice or care.If you have a problem with boys pestering you when you are not interested in them - you may find wearing a towel not as comfortable as other clothes. The last two trips seem to indicate that more clients are not changing into towels - possibly because we go between the Point and Estacao and so a sauna is just a stop during a night on the town.

Gulliver, thanks for your input, it is appreciated. I think I will see who is wearing what when I arrive. But the idea of sitting in a lounge area, or bar area, dressed comfortably does suit me. It doesn't take me long to get off the clothes when necessary:-)

WT

One thing I would add is that with a towel you are not worrying about things falling out of pockets or getting left behind. When you are showering you cannot necesarily keep an eye on all those platinum and gold cards guys. In fact its useful because you can walk to your locker and withdraw that R$50 note and bring it with you which when placed on the bedside should reinforce the R$50 rate you agreed on (you did agree it first didn't you). The fact you might have to go back later and get that R$10 tip is a nuisance but is nice for the boy becuase its shows you were especially pleased enough with HIS performance to give him that little extra. If you have a bag with some odd bits inside (lube condoms etc) it saves having to carry it around in the bar.

Personally I don't like it when others are dressed when I have a towel though I have learned to expect it when a special show is on. If I turn up very late then sometimes I go straight to the bar if I only have time for one boy but that is very rare.

Archived