THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

L.A. Times Story on Crime in Rio

jackhammer91406
This topic is 7755 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This morning's L.A. Times has a rather extended story on the rise of drug related crime in some districts of Rio, including terrorist type bus bombs and threats of civil unrest and terror at the hands of a rapidly growing drug cartel in that city. Citing the recent bombing of the Hotel Gloria, the article goes on to quote the head of security in the city saying words to the effect that "(crime)..is out of control". Anyone else see this article today? Any thoughts from the regulars?

Crime is out of control in Rio and in several other parts of Brazil. Any Brazilian will tell you this and it's regularly reported in the media. The question is whether this sort of crime will affect your trip and in my opinion the answer is no. First of all, most of the serious crime is confined to the favelas. Don't wander around in them, except on an expertly guided tour. And take serious precautions wherever you are. Don't go about alone after dark if you can avoid it, don't flash money around and don't wander around like a silly tourist with lots of expensive camera equipment etc. Don't even wear a watch--anything they can steal could potentially make you a target. This is very simple advice, but you'd be surprised how many people don't follow it. I don't want to minimize what is really a very serious matter, but, if you think about the issues involved, you are unlikely to have a problem. One reason many of us like the Atlantico is that it's right across the street from the Metro and just a couple of blocks from two saunas. Not much late night walking required. And as we've said many times here, the boys themselves are very security conscious--if one of us wanted to go back to the hotel from our late night hangout before the group was ready to leave, one or two boys would insist on accompanying us. Having said all this, there is one more point, that I believe Tri made recently. And that's, if the possibility of getting mugged (and for God's sake, if you do get mugged, hand over everything right away!!!)is too disconcerting, then perhaps Brazil is not the right place for you. I love it so much there that it's hard for me to admit that it isn't paradise for everyone, but I do think that each of us has to make his own decisions. SF Traveler

Guest Tomcal_

Most of what they reported on was going on last Oct. when I was there and during Carnival before we were there in April. It's true, but doens't effect the areas that we were in. Remember the "crime wave" against European tourists in Florida/Miami a few years ago, got similiar headlins in Europe, but they were not killing tourists off on the beach in South beach, but if you read the papers in London you would have thought so. It's like L.A., there are areas I don't go in even in daylight, much less at night. Same for Rio. Dont' worry. you will have a great time.

Thanks guys.

No way was I thinking of not going, but appreciate your takes on the article and the environment around the Atlantico. I thought the article painted with a very broad brush and figured that if I can survive in an area where gang wars are a constant and a city (the only large one in the USA according to reports released last week ) where crime has gone up in the last two years, I can probably make it ok, especially if I hang around Tomcal who, according to reports, is always surrounded by the finest Brazilian beef in plenty. And Tomcal, I will hold you to your statement that I will have a great time.

:9

Crime in Rio and Brazil is a reality, but it's not something I've ever lost sleep over! I just spent three months in Brazil, during which time my best friends in Berlin spent three weeks visiting during their first trip to the country. None of us had any actual problems during this time, even though we were all over town at all hours.

There WAS a potentially unpleasant situation one evening around 10:30 when we were standing on the corner of Siqueira Campos and Av. Copacabana to catch a cab back to my apartment after dining at the Siqueira Grill. There was an unusually large group of street kids on the corner of the square (this is the same square Corujinha faces) milling around and begging, and one of them latched on to one of our party as we climbed into a cab and kept demanding money. Up close and personal, these kids can be scary -- they're like little feral creatures, barely articulate and often with that glazed-over look from being drugged out of their minds (glue-sniffing is a critical problem). Nothing wee and winsome about these creatures! Fortunately there were a group of us, and the cab driver started screaming at the kid to let go of my friend's sleeve, and he slammed the door and headed off, but if we had been on foot things could have been uglier. Shortly afterwards there was a column in the "Jornal do Brasil" about the throw-away kids haunting Pça. Serzedelo Correia (the square at this location) and the fact that none of the responsible agencies were doing anything about them. I guess there must have been a bit of a clean-up after that, because after our most recent dinner at the Grill we didn't see such a crowd of kids. But you need to be alert and aware when you visit Rio.

By the way, I do wear a watch in Rio, but just a cheap obviously plastic one. Thieves are mostly not interested in them.

Jack,

I read this article today and what I must say to add up to what has already been said, is that it's outdated and when he quoted what the Defense secretary said, he forgot to mention that he had said when he took up the post, so that everybody will see how great work he will do in the future...

But here are the facts: Rio is a very violent city. But as one poster mentioned most of the crimes happen in the slums areas (Rio is the 5th most violent city in Brasil, Vitória is the first and São Paulo the 2nd... according to homicides per 1000).

In the downtown, Barra and Zona Sul area what you find is petty robbery. So our word of advice to all of our foreign visitors is: Don't take any valuables, don't carry any banking, credit cards, passport when you are going out, just carry around R$ 200.00 in cash, and you will be set for the day.

Now the war that is mentioned on the newspaper started when the police and the governor started fighting the druglords for good, and that's how they reacted by burning buses, firing shots at a couple of landmarks like the Glória Hotel (they didn't bomb it!!! It's still there, and if you want to stay there it's a wonderful place to stay!), but as the police and government cracked down on them, they are being subdued. So far this month we haven't had any major "drug attack", but the week before Carnival on a Monday they did make the shops close and burned a number of buses in the city.

But I really feel that the drug lords are losing the war, as the Defense secretary (who is our former Governor) wants to run for President, who will do everything he can to say that he defeated the crime in Rio.. thusfore he can be our next President. (His wife is the actual governor in Rio).

Not this past weekend but the other weekend we had a huge gay celebration in Rio, the Love Parade... and we had over 17 European tourists there... no major problems.

So far this year, we only had a problem with a tourist who was almost mugged in Salvador by street kids, but our guide was faster than the boys and they didn't take anything from him...

Um abraço,}(

When the latest occurrences happened-- Tri and Ernani alluded to them in their postings; that was pre Carnaval, way back in February. When I was there in Feb./March--some other posters wrote about the violence. During Carnaval-- I don't know what happened that was negative since I don't read or speak Portuguese, but my friend and I and his Brasilian friend felt safe during our eleven days there.

One Sunday my friend and I (without the guidance or presence of a local) did miss getting off a bus prior to our reaching a major

favela. I freaked; my friend said for us to ride it out which we did without any kind of complication. Thank God! Although we rode this particular bus-- this neighborhood along its route was calm and quiet-- very different from when I went on a guided tour-- this neighborhood was bustling and noisy and cramped and reasonably tame considering all of the reports we've read for the past year.

The advice that I've received from everyone here has been well received and helpful.

I rode the bus in Rio as well, by myself, just to have something to do on a rainy day. We went god knows where and the bus stopped. It was the end of the run. I looked around and got on another bus and fortunately it took me back to the center.

I also walked around alone late at night with nary a threat. I even gave a motorist the finger on a dark sidestreet. Now that I know more, I wouldn't do it again!

Then there's the whole Brazilian fetish about getting it on with the bus drivers or the guys who make change on the buses! I guess they can be flirted with and then just ride the bus to the end of the line, where a quick "adventure" can take place before the next run!

A similar fetish concentrates on the doormen of apartment buildings in Rio. Most come from the Northeast, where the men have a reputation for being hung. . .

Guest Gringo

>A similar fetish concentrates on the doormen of apartment

>buildings in Rio. Most come from the Northeast, where the men

>have a reputation for being hung. . .

....well I guess the secret is out now!! Recife is the Venice of South America with 3 main islands connected by several beautiful bridges. It is on the great eastern bulge of Brasil. Romantically, it is the first place in all the Americas that receives the rising sun. In addition to all of the above, the reputation is true!! :+

Yeah, that's one of the things I love about Brazil: it has a great bulge! Maybe THAT'S what explains the overabundance of other great bulges there!

Sunrise actually first dawns over the Americas in João Pessoa, the state capital of Paraíba about 80 miles north of Recife. The easternmost point of the Americas (both North and South) is found there. The point is marked by a park and lighthouse where you can go with your honey to be among the first to see the sun rise over the Western Hemisphere. This is almost as romantic as an old local custom in Macapá, north of Belem and the only Brazilian city that sits directly on the Equator. Apparently it used to be a local sport to jack off on one side of the wall/monument marking the Equator to see who could shoot farthest into the other hemisphere. . . (The monument is gone now, replaced by a football stadium where the center line of the field is the Equator.)

Ah, those Brazilians! It's so good to know there's at least ONE country around where guys have their priorities right! }(

Archived