THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Manaus and the Amazon

Axiom2001
This topic is 7780 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As part of my trip to Brasil in October-- I plan to take in Manaus and the Amazon. If you were visiting Brasil for the third time-- how long would you spend in this area, and what hotel on or near the Amazon would you recommend? I feel guilty in writing this, for I think part of my question was answered by Trilingual some time ago, but I, at this time, don't have the mental energy to do a search. Once I get responses to the question in its entirety or partially, I'll do a sketch of my entire trip.

(I have a Brasilian pass which I have to do some adjusting in itinerary, but I plan to fly from Miami to SP and stay about 4 days,(Thurs. - Sunday), provided I can procure the services of Artur or another guide-- I. Falls, no more than 2 days, Salvador-- approximately 4 days with guide, Paraty 2 or 3 days-- depending, and definitely Rio, no definite time scheme at this juncture. I also plan to take some of CarloRio's tours and use his services, but in doing this-- I need advice for the initial question.) Please excuse the length! AX2....

I would highly recommend Ariau Amazon Towers (http://www.ariautowers.com/). It's a 2 hour boat ride from Manaus. It's a resort in the middle of the Amazon built on stilts above the river. They have a number of packages, which include airport pick up. If you need a hotel in Manaus, I'd recommend the Tropical, which is just outside of town and is where the Ariau Boat docks. Rooms at Ariau range from rustic to suites....make sure you request an air conditioned room.

You can spend as much time as you like in Manaus, but unless you're particularly into jungle life, I'd say that two days at a jungle lodge and two days in the city would be more than enough time to get a good feeling for the city and region. Parts of Manaus are quite upscale. There may be something going on at the Teatro Amazonas, which would be worth experiencing. The old historic part of Manaus isn't that large, and the rest of the city is just modern sprawling industrial and residential areas (Manaus is a duty-free port where almost all Brazilian TVs and other electronic goods are manufactured/assembled). Local foods are fascinating, as is the market down by the river, and if there is a big local festival happening while you're there (like Boi-Bumba) it would be worth spending a few extra days to catch it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Axiom,

As Tri said 4 days would be more than enough in Manaus... I'd even say that 2 would be just the right time.. But it all depends on what you are looking for... Manaus has got some interesting jungle (an The Ariau is by far the best hotel), it has also got some gay life (not the most impressive one...) and it has got the theatre.... That's it...

Um abraço,

;-)

Archived