THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

U.S. - Rio Airfares for Fall

Guest Tomcal_
This topic is 7810 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Tomcal_

Guys , just changed my ticket for Oct.(same dates 10/23 - 11/02) but I usually fly American, but right now for those dates, Continental is only charging 35,000 miles R/T, most other dates require you to cash in 70,000 for coach or 140,000 for First class. You can go 4 times to Rio for the milage for one first class ticket! American Airlines charges 100,000. for first class. You can transfer points from American Express Credit Card to Continental for miles(you can't for American Airlines). I usually fly down in first since it's such a long trip from the west coast, but for this good a deal I can arrive a little tired..lol.

Tom, with AAs having those "cute" beds for one to rest in their first class section-- I now see how you are a man of much fervor and energy upon arrival in Rio as well as when you return to California. My traveling companion and friend was mesmerized by them.

One of these days I will try for business class travel to the other "down under"! AX2001:-)

Also, if you belong to Continental - or even if you don't yet - be on the lookout for their conversion specials. I just caught one (ended March 31) giving a 25% bonus to Amex point conversions. I transferred 150,000 and picked up more than a FREE roundtrip (35,000)miles in the process. Still have more than four more trips to go as long as they don't start messing with the great 35,000 point conversions!

Guest only4real

Hi,

Everyone is talking about the Atlantico on here.

I was in RIo 3 weeks ago, and going back next month.

I stayed at Hotel Debret on Copacabana. Which Atlantico are you referring to? The Rio Atlantico?

Thanks for your help.

Guest Tomcal_

It is the Atlantico Copacabana (not the Atlantica, which the cab drivers sometimes confuse it with) it is at the intersection of Siquero Campos and Tonelero

Guest only4real

thanks, tomcal.

Good grief, that is within stumbling distance of 202 and estacao!!

i think it might be dangerous for me to stay there.

fyi,, i think debret is really great value and you can request an ocean front room - i paid $68/night/ great views from the roof top breakfast room.

nick

Guest Tomcal_

Correction to the original post. I just got off the phone to Continental airlines and right now first class milage reward travel to Rio from U.S. cities during the last week in Oct. is 70,000 That is alot less then the other major airlines are asking. I just changed my ticket today and he said there are several reward seats left for that time frame

TomCal-Ho... two more trips this year? Yeeeesh... are you nuts?? Rio was nice, but that's like a billion trips over three years! LOL

I don't understand... you dragged my ass to Rio, but you won't venture into the circuit party scene with me... TRUST ME, the boys are MORE fierce... and the sex is non-stop (if you want it). Go to one circuit weekend with me, and you'll NEVER go to Rio again!!

Tri... did you say the dollar value is falling in Rio? That's a good sign for the Rio economy... they need it! Hopefully they will be in store for a better economy this year. I hope nobody is shuddering at the fact that a rentboy will jump from $13 to $17!!! And a "discount" at the Atlantico Hotel... LOL... they should RAISE their prices to pay for the extra security and air traffic controllers when TomCal-Ho visits...

Although the conversion points and rates are presently to one's advantage, a "straight" economy ticket at present is in the $700 to $800 dollar range. I browsed Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, and that other one whose name has escaped me. All of them send me emails periodically, but there have been few breaks to "paradise"!

Today I am calling the discounters to inquire about business class as well as economy for October. I hope to see a little relief in price in doing it this way.

Smooth traveling, fellows!!

Guest josekel3

LAShowbiz,

I want to know more about these circuit parties. Is there info elsewhere on this website. I assume that they are in LA.

I was in Rio a few months ago and nothing previously compared to it in terms of hot guys, avalibility, price ( as I saw on this site, "In Brazil you get your best bang for you buck.")and an overall fun time. If the circuit parties beat it, I want to know more. Thanks

Joe/San Francisco

Guest Tomcal_

Axiom, don't buy your ticket for Oct. until this summer, the prices always fall. July on is the slow travel season from U.S. to Brazil. When I am not using miles to get a ticket I usually wait until 6-8 weeks before the date, checking the websites(i.e. AA.com for American, continental.com, etc.)I have paid between $475 to 575. from L.A. to rio R/T doing it this way. Set a price you are willing to pay and when it hit's that, jump on it!! The only reason I got my tickets now for Oct. is because they limit the number of "free", milage seats on each flight, and with so many M4M's coming this Oct. I wanted to make sure I was going to be able to use my miles, and make sure I was there!

Guest Tomcal_

For what is't worth, If you haven't bought tickets yet you might want to try this site:

http://www.skyauction.com/ You can plug in your departure city and GIG for rio, and they have two auctions listed with the bidding currently at $300. When I looked in the history, it seems they have been going for around $400. then they charge you $95. security/tax and another $20. for some other fee. They state it is on a major carrier, but you don't know which one until you buy. From the cities listed, my guess they are Continental/American and United. You can't use upgrades to business or first class, but you will get the miles.

Archived