THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Rio and age

world traveler
This topic is 7815 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As someone who resembles that age (62+, 63-) I have to say that I had absolutely no problems. I sat down and almost immediately had 3 or 4 around me every time. They were inviting themselves to spend time with me. It was pleasant even though I knew it was commercial. From my observations the same was true of all the others who seemed to be in the same age group. This was at Estacion(?). I don't know about the others as I never got to them, but I assume the same would hold true there also. I just got back last Saturday, so this is a very recent set of circumstances. Enjoy yourself. I certainly did!!

While I'm a bit younger than the age group you mention, I can say that I saw many clients that age and older having a great time with the boys. I'm 50 and I would say the majority of the clients I observed were older than I am. And before you ask, let me say that I could stand to lose 20 or 30 lbs and many of the clients were quite a bit larger than I am--all having the proverbial gay old time! SF Traveler

You would get as much - or more - attention than the 30-, 40- or 50-year-olds. And you'd come out feeling like 20 again!

World Traveler,

Believe in everything that was previously written here... No problem at all. There are even some guys who truly enjoy elderly men (not the majority of them of course!), but you should have no problem whatsoever. And if after the sauna you would like to go to a bar where elderly people and young boys get together... go to La Cueva in Copacabana.

Enjoy your stay...;)

Guest Ernani

Yes, Carlos

You´re right. I´m one of these crazy cariocas who enjoys older men, even though some cute young boys cruise me wherever I go and I dismiss them.

I think it´s hard for Americans to understand that, or maybe I´m wrong.

How can you explain taste ?

My guess is that you're going to be more concerned about how you look walking around in a skimpy towel surrounded by lots of sweaty guys that are much younger and in much better shape than you are . . . than the hustlers are concerned about your age, shape, etc. I traveled with a 77 year-old friend, and that was his big "issue," so much so that he pretty much stayed away from the saunas (that, and the fact that he didn't like black or dark guys (which made up a large percentage of guys I saw at the saunas) . . . something he failed to tell me before we got into Rio).

Many of the customers I saw in the saunas I visited certainly appeared to be over 55 and out of shape (and some your age and older).

The guys working these places are, for the most part, nothing more than street hustlers sitting around in towels, and, while there are exceptions, I think it's fair to say that they'll go with just about anyone who's willing to pay.

The process in the sex saunas in Rio is rather mechanical, I think. And, it's obvious from reading lots of comments on this message board . . . some people enjoy playing with machines! Erector Set anyone?

Enjoy your adventure!

p.s. brush up on your Portugese, or, at a minimum . . . your Spanish, because I think you'll need it.

<p.s brush up on your Portuguese, or, at a minimum...your Spanish because I think you'll need it.

Mavica-- I concur 100% with the above quotation. In spite of using gestures-- it would serve one well to know some of either or both languages to have a thorough Brasilian experience inside as well as outside of Rio. This became a problem for me in October (the time that I was to have stayed a month and ventured throughout the country.)

Your comment about the saunas containing guys who were primarily of a darker hue perplexes me greatly. Perhaps this was the composition of GUYS/BOYS when you visited, but when I went to two of the saunas in October of '02 and four of the five saunas with guys for pay in Rio in February and March of this year, the complexions varied; there happened NOT to have been a majority of any one hue.

As a man of color-- it is unfortunate that your friend finds it difficult to accept men irrespective of their inherited ethnicity/color...

But, that is his problem. (I thought I'd write this, for you alluded to his inhibitions and difficulties in previous threads!) It is his GREAT loss and others' gains!!

Rio and races

Despite his bitterness and lack of any romantic perspective, Mavica is right in order to fully enjoy everything Rio has to offer it's really necessary to know some of the language, for people here do excel in kindness when you try to speak some Portuguese... So much so that some of the "wild bunch" of past Monday do have a good command of the language thus for they are able to indulge in some activities and experiences that others don't... and they are able to meet people to have some free fun easier than the ones who don't command the language.

Yesterday as I was talking to some of the guys here after a Portuguese tutoring class, we discussed race in Brasil, and it's a fact that most "michês" in Rio are of mixed races (going from off-white to black), but again most of the poor people in Rio are not white. Whereas if you go to São Paulo or Porto Alegre that won't be the case most of the guys there are white.

But that's what makes the diffrence between Brasil and the US. Both countries have basically the same ethnical and historical background:

American countries that were colonized by white-Europeans who exterminated the yellow-Indigenous population and had to bring in black-Africans to work...

Whereas in the US the groups kept pretty much into themselves (a non-official apartheid), in Brasil they mixed wildly ... So whenever I hear people mentioning that the US is a cultural and racial blender, I kind of disagree because in your blender the components didn't mix quite well... whereas in ours... the blending was perfect... which makes us have all kinds of shades from English white to Zulu black, and despite the existing social racism that still prevails... we don't have any racial problem of the sort that exists in other places...

And boys those brow boys that we see on Rio saunas are hot...

Um abraço,

:7

Rio and races

Despite his bitterness and lack of any romantic perspective, Mavica is right in order to fully enjoy everything Rio has to offer it's really necessary to know some of the language, for people here do excel in kindness when you try to speak some Portuguese... So much so that some of the "wild bunch" of past Monday do have a good command of the language thus for they are able to indulge in some activities and experiences that others don't... and they are able to meet people to have some free fun easier than the ones who don't command the language.

Yesterday as I was talking to some of the guys here after a Portuguese tutoring class, we discussed race in Brasil, and it's a fact that most "michês" in Rio are of mixed races (going from off-white to black), but again most of the poor people in Rio are not white. Whereas if you go to São Paulo or Porto Alegre that won't be the case most of the guys there are white.

But that's what makes the diffrence between Brasil and the US. Both countries have basically the same ethnical and historical background:

American countries that were colonized by white-Europeans who exterminated the yellow-Indigenous population and had to bring in black-Africans to work...

Whereas in the US the groups kept pretty much into themselves (a non-official apartheid), in Brasil they mixed wildly ... So whenever I hear people mentioning that the US is a cultural and racial blender, I kind of disagree because in your blender the components didn't mix quite well... whereas in ours... the blending was perfect... which makes us have all kinds of shades from English white to Zulu black, and despite the existing social racism that still prevails... we don't have any racial problem of the sort that exists in other places...

And boys those brow boys that we see on Rio saunas are hot...

Um abraço,

:7

RE: Rio and races

"Despite his bitterness and lack of any romantic perspective"

CarloRio . . . really, sweetheart . . . ask for that English class refund check! LOL!! You ought to try selling used cars in the U.S., you'd fit in just fine! I bet you look good in drag!

About the comments of Axiom2001 about the "color" issue. I prefer sex with guys of color, so it wasn't an negative issue for me at all. "Color" can mean different things to different people, though. For my friend, I think "color" means anything darker than a pale Italian in the middle of Winter! Club 117 had, from what I saw, the largest number of "blacks" (3 or 4 each time I was there), but the other saunas had maybe one apiece. However, lots of guys were very dark (like in very deeply tanned), and seeing that should have been expected . . . considering we were there at the peak of the Summer season! Then again, a darkly tanned guy seen in a dimly-lit room looks much darker than he might really be.

I know many "older" gays in the U.S. and Canada who are prejudiced against Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, guys from India, Asians, etc., they only have sex with "white" guys. I think it's more a reflection of their generation than anything else . . . they didn't grow up having sex with people who looked differently than themselves. Yes, there are lots of guys that age who aren't prejudiced, and I know some of them, too. My friend's opinion is that he's paying for the sex, and he's going to pay for a partner of his choosing.

Also, I don't think too many "older" guys spend much time in gay saunas at home, and walking into one of the sex saunas in Rio for the first time is, I think, quite a shock for them. When we were there the places were stiffling hot and humid. The sight of 20 to 40 guys, in various state of undress, prancing around, touching you, rubbing you and themselves, jacking off, etc. can be quite a jolt to some of the more "isolated" guys. At first, I was amused at my friend's reaction, until I saw how very uncomfortable and stressed-out he became. Based upon what I had learned from reading posts to this board, and other materials I gathered . . . I thought I'd prepared him for what we were likely to encounter. But, like so many other things . . . seeing is believing.

"Despite his bitterness and lack of any romantic perspective"

CarloRio . . . really, sweetheart . . . ask for that English class refund check! LOL!! You ought to try selling used cars in the U.S., you'd fit in just fine! I bet you look good in drag!

About the comments of Axiom2001 about the "color" issue. I prefer sex with guys of color, so it wasn't an negative issue for me at all. "Color" can mean different things to different people, though. For my friend, I think "color" means anything darker than a pale Italian in the middle of Winter! Club 117 had, from what I saw, the largest number of "blacks" (3 or 4 each time I was there), but the other saunas had maybe one apiece. However, lots of guys were very dark (like in very deeply tanned), and seeing that should have been expected . . . considering we were there at the peak of the Summer season! Then again, a darkly tanned guy seen in a dimly-lit room looks much darker than he might really be.

I know many "older" gays in the U.S. and Canada who are prejudiced against Blacks, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, guys from India, Asians, etc., they only have sex with "white" guys. I think it's more a reflection of their generation than anything else . . . they didn't grow up having sex with people who looked differently than themselves. Yes, there are lots of guys that age who aren't prejudiced, and I know some of them, too. My friend's opinion is that he's paying for the sex, and he's going to pay for a partner of his choosing.

Also, I don't think too many "older" guys spend much time in gay saunas at home, and walking into one of the sex saunas in Rio for the first time is, I think, quite a shock for them. When we were there the places were stiffling hot and humid. The sight of 20 to 40 guys, in various state of undress, prancing around, touching you, rubbing you and themselves, jacking off, etc. can be quite a jolt to some of the more "isolated" guys. At first, I was amused at my friend's reaction, until I saw how very uncomfortable and stressed-out he became. Based upon what I had learned from reading posts to this board, and other materials I gathered . . . I thought I'd prepared him for what we were likely to encounter. But, like so many other things . . . seeing is believing.

And just for the record, Carlo is a tall, good-looking man; he could be mistaken for a Brazilian TV actor. I don't know his feelings about drag, but just about every Brazilian man (of whatever sexual persuasion) has done it at least once during Carnival. If Carlo ever did it, I'm sure he looked good! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Me in drag????

Querido Trilingual,

In fact when I was 22 I went on the Ipanema band as a drag... It was a lot of fun, except for the high heel shoes that I had to leave on the way... I was a bit too tall for the average man...

As Mavica's suggested me to sell used cars in drag... I think it might be a good idea to help me pay for my English lessons.... for I believe he has already had some success himself doing so...thus I might be able to borrow some of his drag dresses... No, that wouldn't work either... for they wouldn't definitely not fit me... So, I have to give up on this idea and keep on living and working here....

Um beijão:7

Archived