THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Hotel rates - Atlantico Hotel

Guest Tomcal_
This topic is 7845 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Tomcal_

I just spoke to the resv. desk at the Atlantico to confirm my reservation and rate as I hadn't received a email yet and there had already been a mix up(Gulliver won the presidential suite! lol )I was quoted $80. U.S. for a suite(the one with a small living room and jacuzzi tub). That is the first time they quoted me in U.S. dollars. I told her last Oct. I payed $180. reias( $53. U.S. at today's rate) for the same room, she then immediately gave me that rate. So a $27. per day drop in price just for asking!

It seems like it is hit and miss at this place. For the record, I love the Atlantico and will spend my next trip there unless we hear more of some attractive apartment alternatives.

My first stay there was in November, after having stayed at the Othon Olinda in October. I contacted Rene direct by phone for one of the corner suites and he told me he'd give me a great rate, though on November 1 the "high" season started. That is questionable. He quoted me $66 a night, saying he would give me the low season rate. The quote was in US $$. That was better than the best I could do at the Olinda (though other posters have done much better there). I was very pleased with every aspect of the Atlantico.

I returned in January, clearly in the "high season". Again I called Rene and he reserved a corner suite, but told me that the rate would be "a little higher" since it was high season. Its hard for me to deal with the casualness of the reservation system...just a call to Rene, assurance that the room is booked, no confirmation #, etc. So I followed up with an email to the reservation center mentioned on their website, just to confirm my arrival and departure dates.

Liz responded with a confirmation number and a rate of $R200 a night...much less than my first stay. I was delighted, given the fact that Rene had told me the rate would be "a little more" than the $66 a night that I had paid in November.

I'm hoping to get back in late May and I will definitely bypass Rene this time and go directly to Liz by email.

My impression is that the encouragement of one particular participant on this board to deal with "Rene" (and use the poster's name when doing so), and people following-up on that "advice" has been ill-advised. Rene is a front desk clerk, maybe a junior supervisor . . . nothing more. I found him "strange." Maybe someone thinks they'll get a break on their own next room rental by referring people to this guy, but I think it's better to deal with the actual employees at the hotel who actually work in the reservations area and who have some credibility/authority. Deal directly with the reservations agent at the hotel, I found the person to be honorable (although, English wasn't spoken well, and my Spanish saved the day!).

I think that's good advice from Mavica. The names of the reservations staff are mentioned elsewhere in the postings. Just e-mail them directly (you can do that through the hotel's website). You should get more consistent rates, and a confirmation number which is important. The Atlântico does a good trade and probably overbooks on occasion, so having a confirmation number will be helpful if you arrive after an umptee-hour flight and run into problems at the front desk.

In October I booked the Atlantico Copacabana Hotel via http://www.ipanema.com and received very excellent rates (in low season). My only dealings with Rene was to request a room on the quiet side; I received 1308. ...did NOT hear street noise nor the construction of the metro although the site was visible from my room.

Last month and earlier this month-- my friend and I made our reservations for the Atlantico through our US Travel agent. The rates were acceptable since it was during the high season, but I too would concur with Mavica and Tri, or do it yourself via the net address. If it doesn't register properly-- use a capital "i"! You can also write a message at this site in hopes that it will be acknowledged. (The rates quoted are in Brasilian reasis!)

Archived