THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Best Times to Journey to Brasil???

Axiom2001
This topic is 7848 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I feel somewhat guilty in broaching this question since I am one who has suggested that individuals consult those archives, but to save time-- besides April and October and perhaps the Brasilian summer, (December to March), what are other times where the weather is pleasant or desirable?

I was in Brasil last October and for eleven days during Carnaval-- 28 February through 11 March. In October the weather was in the 80s-- felt more like summer to me, but I enjoyed. When I was there recently-- the temps. were in the high 80s and mid 90s; I yielded to each and every ray.

I'd planned to return in April of this year, but the timing is off. I will be going to Sao Paulo, Salvador, I. Falls, Rio, Perati, and maybe to the Amazon. ...have a Brasilian Air Pass and plan to have a guide in SP (I hope Artur/Carlo...) and one in Salvador, perhaps Rio, too. I'd appreciate all suggestions...

Hey Dude:

I've been to Brazil 15 times, and in my opinion March, April and May are the best months to go. The last 3 times that I have gone in January it has rained alot, and it seems to rain alot in November also. But every time I go in March/April/May I get nothing but blue skys!!! Don't know if its coincidence or luck, but thats my reality in Brazil. Hope ya have a great time!!! TB

Guest pshaw

I loved the weather when I was there in late July. Warm in the days, sometimes light jacket cool in the evenings if you are having a late dinner at one of the beachside open-air restaurants. For the 10 days I was there, one day was cloudy.

Guest needtraining

Speedo Overcoats?

I'm putting in a plug for Rio and Brazil visits during the Southern Hemisphere "winter" of July and August! For everyone who has posted about heat and sweating inside and out... the still warm days (perhaps 75-80) and cooler nights (60-65) must sound perfect. I don't know what the water temps. are then but... really... is anyone going to Rio to go swimming? My first trip will be during the last 10 days of July and the first 10 days of August. Hope I'll have some company; it would be fun after reading all the posts over the past few months I've discovered this board.

RE: Speedo Overcoats?

The water temp is bathtub warm in the summer, and still warm in the Brazilian "winter." Cariocas, of course, start hauling their furs out of the vaults when the temperatures plunge into the 70s, and look on with horror as tourists frolic on the "frigid" beach. As far as they're concerned, the tourists must all be insane members of Polar Bear Clubs for going into such cold water.

Living in Northern California, I can safely say that the coldest Rio ocean temperature is still tens of degrees warmer than the Pacific off San Francisco in August!

South of Rio and Sao Paulo the climate begins to change and it can get genuinely chilly in the southern winter. There are a few, higher places in southern Brazil that get a regular dusting of snow in the winter (and it's a BIG local tourist attraction, needless to say). It's also windy. Even in Florianopolis, the nicest southern beach town, it could be uncomfortable to be at the beach in the winter. At sea level it never snows, but it can occasionally drop into the low sixties, high fifties (or even forties at night) and that's not my idea of beach weather!

Iguazu in the winter is a good time. May/June are supposedly the rainiest months, so the falls are even more awesome than normal. It's also cool, which is good in the humidity generated by the falls. A light windbreaker is useful (especially a waterproof one) at the falls in wintertime.

But, all in all, there's never a bad time to go to Brazil. Summer in Rio can be blazing, but the cariocas truly believe that the hotter it is, the better! I assume this is because it gives them an opportunity to strip down to the briefest of outfits and show off their fabulous physiques! If they could get away with it, I often think Brazilians would never wear clothes! ;)

<...I assume this is because it gives them an opportunity to strip down to the briefest of outfits and show off their fabulous physiques!>

Tri-- your words conjured up a vivid image which still remains with me. I was in one of those grocery stores which is a very short distance from the Atlantico. A shirtless Carioca had on a pair of tight-fitting beige shorts and got my juices stirring while he was in the checkout line. My eyes stayed glued on him, and I gave him a microscopic lazer beam; unfortunately I couldn't check out his package. Also, as he and I waited-- I noticed a baby buggy near. My thoughts were: such a fine, fine man whose married-- what a pity in a sense!

>-- I noticed a baby buggy near. My thoughts were:

>such a fine, fine man whose married-- what a pity in a sense!

Don't jump to any conclusions.

Last July I hooked up with Yan at Rogers. He was unavailable one night because he, his wife, and baby were moving.

He gave me his phone number and told me that if his wife answered, give her the message. She understands.

They really are different from us. :D

Dick

Archived