THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Flip Flop Chic

hole in one
This topic is 7849 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Have you heard? The humble flip flop is all the rage on the catwalks of Europe, courtesy Jean-Paul Gaultier. Not just any flip flop, but Havaianas - made in Brazil since 1962, and worn by rich and poor alike. Come this summer, Elle, Vogue and many other fashion magazines will be featuring photospreads of brilliantly coloured Havaianas. They cost $10 in San Francisco and LA, but a much more affordable $2-3 in Brazil - or so I've read. That's one thing on my shopping list when I visit in April.

One question for the experienced Rio travellers: Can flip flops be worn everywhere?

The short answer is "No!"

You can wear flip-flops to many places, though. During the day in Copacabana they're standard issue along with bermudas for just about anything (like going to the supermarket or bank), or having lunch at an informal restaurant or cafe. If you're going to the theater, to a better restaurant, anywhere downtown, or going somewhere that involves escalators (like taking the metro) you shouldn't wear flip-flops OR bermudas. There are probably some other "dont's" I've forgotten, but you'll figure it out yourself when you're here. Just do as the Brazilians do (but in this instance, do what middle/upper-class Brazilians of your age seem to be doing.)

Guest Tomcal_

Tri, when I have been to Rio we have worn sandals, either the kind with the strap that goes around the heal, or std. fipflops everywhere, in fact those and a pair of sneakers is all I ever take. I never have taken std. shoes with me. I will admit we never tried to go to any of the the really "upscale" restaurants, have always stuck to the beach restuarants along Atlantico or Copacabana blvds(and the BBQ, all you can eat type restaurants). So far no one has thrown us out of anywhere or even looked funny at us for wearing them! Also have worn shorts most of the time except later in the evenings when I have worn a pair of jeans. When my friends and I went the first time to Rio, I took one pair of jeans, several pairs of shorts, assorted "T's", polo type shirt and swimsuit and that was it, one medium size carry on for a week in Rio! Since then every trip has been the same clothing for me. So I think whatever you feel comfortable in, go with. I have never felt like I was out of place wearing these everywhere i went in Rio. Our mutual friend in S.F. never even brought any pants with him, he wore Bermudas the whole time last Aug and he was there for two weeks and went to a greater variety of restaurants then I go to. The restaurants that line Copacabana ave. near Farme in Ipenema we would often go to after spending time at the beach and while they are several blocks in from the beach in the commercial area, they are very casual as well.

Guest Tomcal_

I probably should clarify, I don't think we looked any different then anyone else, all the guys I saw(Brazilians under 40, were dressed in shorts, t's . and I definitly don't look like the "ugly American"..LOL Hey glutes you should really should join us on this trip! take care.

Sandals (as opposed to flip-flops) are worn in Rio, although not as extensively as in parts of Europe or the U.S.

You can wear shorts and flip-flops to places like Maxim's, Corujinha or any of the other beachfront places, plus casual places inland. You wouldn't wear them to the St.-Honore, or Cipriani's, or the Confeitaria Colombo, for example, which are more upscale and, sometimes, business-oriented restaurants. Even in Miami, Hawaii or California, there are places where you wouldn't go in beachwear! Rio's the same. That doesn't require major re-packing. It does mean bringing a pair of slacks and a dressier shirt with buttons (it can be short-sleeved, and it can be Hawaiian, although I'd personally go with one of the more subdued versions unless I was going to one of the discos afterwards) and/or a polo shirt.

Not only is dressing properly a matter of courtesy and doing as the locals do, it's also a security issue. When you don't dress appropriately, you stand out as a foreigner and possible mark!

And that's about all I want to say on fashion tonight. . . ;)

Archived