THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

FLYING DOWN TO RIO ... AND, UP TO HEAVEN

Guest Puta-Nesca
This topic is 7865 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Puta-Nesca

Turning 40, and finding myself mired in some sort of mid-life reflection, while enduring such a cold winter of "our discontent" I decide that I need some sort of momentary escape from my world. So, one wintry evening I throw a dart at the several global charts on my den's walls resolute in my purpose that that is where I'm destined to find my escape. Only to discover that it lands on Brazil. Never having been there, I consider it for a moment and then think, well, why not? I had recently been sailing the French Polynesian islands (Tahiti, Bora-Bora, Raitea, Huahine, etc.) so the South Pacific wouldn't do the trick. Too French and not different enough. Whereas, Brazil .... Now, that seemed different.

So, imagine my surprise and delight to find this site in my efforts to do a bit a background work and research. The first message I read is one entitled "Heaven, I'm in Heaven" which was surely a sign that Rio is where I must go and find escape. The night of the dart landing, when I realized that South America was to be my destiny, the only thing that came to mind ... well, specifically the song ... was the one that begins w/ these words when as a small boy I watched Fred and Ginger fly down many, many years ago. So, I read. And read. And read. Later to learn that that particular posting was by the venerable TRI. (I feel like I should genuflect or something equally worthy of reflecting respect) The siren that apparently calls many of us southward and ... upward .... or, should that be down?

Man, my eyes would be sore from reading through the archives of dozens of messages late at night! Interesting and titilating all at once. Some tales fascinating. I may not be easily impressed by Harvard's endowments, but I certainly took particular note of other aspects and tales of large and equally multi "dimensions."

Unfortunately, I don't have all that much time to spare so I can only go for two weeks (and, not the four that I had initially thought that I might manage). I have two agents putting things together for me including first class tickets (far too costly I believe)on the needed flights and arranging the penthouse suite of rooms at the Copacabana Palace (hopefully, not a big mistake as I recall one gentleman saying that staying there was a mistake and yet another saying to stay on the beach ... and, following Fred and Ginger steps, although less adroitly, I figured that it would be well to start out where they did on their trip. I'll be in Rio for a week, arriiving Tuesday, March 26th and then on to Recife and Fortaleza. W/ only two weeks for this trip I was disappointed not to be able to schedule Iguacu Falls, Salvador-Bahia, and so many other places that I have learned about. But for some reason I really want to spend time in Buzios and Paraty as well. As one agent tells me "the next trip, we'll schedule a month or so to really see the country!"

So, I've been practising my Portuguese (very difficult for me) and attemtpting to educate and learn as much as possible. I've even taken to flying to Manhattan to converse "at length" w/ the many strapping straight Brazilian boys that play pool at Stellas. The Curitiba twins last week (when I was temporarily evicted from the Waldorf-Astoria's Towers when security discovered a security threat w/ guns and a bomb inside the hotel's cavervous lobbies ... another story all together)left me rather breathless so that all I could muster was ... a muiti bem y obrigado.

Now, I'm more than jazzed and even just a bit nervous now w/ my departure looming and thought that I'd throw this out there and see if any of you cognoscenti will be by chance in Rio when I arrive so that I might not feel so gringo-like. I can't even imagine how I'll figure out the sauna's on my own.

Anyway, thanks for all of your insight and hopefully you'll let me buy you a drink, or several, to repay your shared generosity.

I can't IMAGINE a better place to have your mid-life crisis than Brazil!

The palms, sand and blue seas may remind you of French Polynesia, but Brazil is very different and definitely NOT French. If you can afford the best accommodations at the Copacabana Palace, more power to you! You'll certainly be treated royally. However, as you've probably seen elsewhere on the board, you're unlikely to be comfortable bringing guys back to your room there. It's probably not all that advisable, anyway. For non-sauna encounters, the Hotel Lido, with rooms by the hour, is conveniently located just three or four blocks away, on the corner of r. Ronald de Carvalho and Viveiros de Castro. If you stay at the Copa you'll be almost right in front of the Copacabana gay beach. It's off slightly to your right as you face the ocean, more or less in front of the next-door Excelsior Hotel (look for Paulo's beer tent). The Rainbow (Arco-Iris) kiosk is directly in front of the hotel for after-beach coconut water, beer and cruising, and Maxim's is on the corner to your right, across from the Excelsior. Corujinha (the yellow awning/Jabba place) is about five blocks away, one block inland on r. Hilário de Gouveia on the corner of the square (praça Serzedelo Correia). Estação, Roger's and Point 202 are about 3 - 4 blocks inland from Corujinha. The Arcoverde metro station (to go to Club 117 or downtown) is only about 3 blocks inland from the hotel.

If it's not too late to change your itinerary, I'd suggest adding Salvador and dropping Fortaleza. Fortaleza has nice beaches but it's not as intrinsically interesting as Salvador or Recife. On the other hand, you can see the sights in Fortaleza in a day, leaving you free the rest of the time to beach it. For a short trip, you have to make some difficult choices. You couldn't see everything you'd want to see in the U.S. on a first-time two week trip, and Brazil is physically as large as the U.S. You'll just have to plan more time there on your next visit!

There's nothing to sweat (pardon the turn of phrase) about the suanas. If you've read the Brazilian Saunas review and the other "how-to" posts, you've seen it's pretty straightforward. If you managed in Polynesia, you'll certainly manage in Brazil. Portuguese is good, but not critical, as I think Tomcal's experiences demonstrate! There's always someone around at the saunas who speaks some English, at least enough to manage the kinds of transactions that take place there! Even if there isn't, you know that the going rate is R$50 (plus a tip for good service) and you need to determine is your choice is "ativo," or "completo" (active/passive). Or "passivo." Whatever you're looking for. The rest isn't a problem, because you can see exactly what you're getting before making a selection.

Hope you have a fabulous time in Brazil. 99.44% of travelers do!

:7

Archived