THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

New Review today

Guest Tomcal_
This topic is 7834 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Tomcal_

This was posted in the "Newest Review" section today, by I think a new poster. he talks about a sauna that I don't think any of us have discussed before, because it didn't show a listing as having rentboys!

I have copied it here so everyone can see.

"I have just returned from Rio and can give some updates. In first place I went to a sauna located in the downtown area and generally caters to the local office workers, called Meio Mundo yet there is no sign at the door. The interesting part is that it is right by the Navy facilities and therefore has quite a few sailors out to make a buck. All of them extremely nice, mostly black or mulatto. The sauna has three or four floors, they were even playing bingo the night I was there. The current rate is, as all, 50 reais. If you are into big, hunky blacks with enormous dicks, this is the place to go.

The neighborhood is not bad although it is located in a small back street, called rua Teophilo Ottoni. The best and cheapest way to get there is to take the Metro from the Copacabana area and get off at the Uruguaiana Station, then walk down Av Presidente Vargas, which is very wide, towards the large church (you can´t miss it since it sits in the middle of the avenue. Once you reach the church, the sauna is off one block, you can ask the locals.

I also went to the new Point 202, located half a block away from Rogers Thermas, and in the location of an old sauna, which name I can´t remember. It is quite spiffy, even freshly cut flowers in the entrance, yet it will be a while for it to pick up steam. It was packed with older gents but not many boys. Actually left after ten minutes. Maybe it was a fluke but I hope it works out since the facilities are very good.

Estacao is still as good as always, full of boys. Saturday afternoons are a hoot, seems like a carnival, with dancing and generally festive ambiance.

Rogers seems to be somewhat run down, not many people or boys…still worth a visit.

While notions of portuguese are useful, cariocas are so eager to please they will aaccept all of your blurbs.

Brazil despite their real problems and tremendous poverty still manages to offer the visitor a friendly face, to say nothing of their fantastic endowment!"

Guest Jaunty

Meio Mundo What a dump !!

Located on the north side of the old cathedral at the end of the Grand Processional, Presidente Vargas Blvd, it is in a handsome vintage building. The charm stops at the door however.

I went there in January with Jake, who is a discerning man of taste and charm who must have been temporarily blinded on his previous visit by a dazzling boy. We went fairly early on a Sunday afternoon and there were no distractions; boys or otherwise to impair the view. It is a large space, spread over 4 floors served by one dark grungy staircase at the far end. (Read:FIRE TRAP) Reportedly under new management and with a planned remodeling, there was some newer materials scattered about haphazardly but little real progress in evidence. It only added to the confusion and danger of the narrow hallways, uneven floors,SCARY electrical wiring, and incomprehensible floorplan.

Some posters have stated that Roger's and Sauna 73 were sub-standard. Those places are Architectural Digest compared to Meio Mundo. Save your time and cab fare and skip this place.

Otherwise, it was a great trip.

x( }(

Guest Gringo

Oh well, different strokes for different folks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You can be in a room with 500 people and another with 5, but when you make a connection, that's the proof in the pudding. There is obviously no shortage of opportunities, and passion could be around almost any corner. You gotta play to win. :)

• 1 month later...

What's really on Meio Mundo

Of course there's lots of misperception regarding Meio Mundo. It's an o.k. sauna with lots of locals, lots of marines and a couple of hookers... and if you're into black and mulatto babies that's a good place to go... and you may not have to pay for the services as some of them are willing to do it freely (I had a friend who was gangbanged there unwillingly at first... but later on he had no concede and indulge on it...).

Of course Jaunty couldn't have liked it... he went there on a Sunday!!!! It's a downtown sauna it gathers to local working people (marines, executives, clerks etc...) therefore there couldn't be much action on a Sunday...

Do learn something about Rio... downtown and surrounding areas are more exciting during the weekdays whereas the saunas in Ipanema (Studio 64, Thermas Leblon) get busier on weekends (specially sunny ones...) It may seem obvious to us cariocas, but not to everybody....

Um abraço, :p

Guest Gringo

RE: What's really on Meio Mundo

I think you really have to want a more local adventure to travel to Meio Mundo. For the average tourist the opportunities and proximity of the saunas in Copa & Gloria will usually overwhelm. Meio Mendo is located in the business district of historic downtown Centro. Few tourists venture there at night. Actually, its the only sauna with boys in Centro, but it can't compare with the facilities at the other saunas.

But it does have its charms. It's just around the corner from the Naval Yard and does get alot of local and visiting sailors. I love a man in uniform and without and have enjoyed some really great sex there. They are currently offering a promotion of only 10 reis to get in on Saturdays and the cabines are just 2 reis. Can't touch that compared with the other saunas.

The area isn't exactly seedy, but it can be dangerous at night. Welcome to Rio. Actually, for those lonely sailors who can't afford the sauna, the small streets around Candelaria Cathedral are often quite festive late at night. But again, for an inexperienced traveler with the face or appearance of a foreigner, this adventure would be in the same league as going to via appia. Stay in Copa and play safe unless you really know what you are doing or have a guide.

Also in Centro is Gayligola which isn't a sauna at all, but a 3 floor sex club with glory holes and slings. To describe the lighting as dim would be a lie. They actually issue clients small flashlights so you don't walk into a wall or down a staircase and kill yourself!! Sometimes they offer live sex shows. Personally, I didn't like it.

Also in Centro is the bar Casanova which is in Lapa by the arcos do lapa where the streetcar takes people to Santa Theresa. A great street party occurs there every Friday night with a couple thousand people dancing, drinking and cruising. Unless you feel you have good street smarts, again I wouldn't recommend this for the newly initiated. But for me, I love working this Friday night street party and rarely miss it. I will be in Rio until the first week in May. Any fellow posters interested in a guide or more info, email me.

:+

Oh, oh, oh--Gringo-- <A great street party occurs there every Friday night...

This statement brought back a vivid image and experience which I had with Ernani last October; he took me to this event. Yes, yes, yes-- people everywhere-- like three thousand. Ernani asked if I had wanted to meander amongst the throngs in the middle of the streets-- I said no but wound up doing it anyway. I just kept aware of my wallet in side pocket and made it with GREAT local company-- a superb guide.

...wish I'd conscientiously planned to return to Rio now instead of later. I'd opt for you to be my guide and to clue me onto many adventures as a non-local yet a speaker of the language.

I always relish what you write... Continue to enjoy the land of the cariocas...:9 :p :9

Gringo is right: Meio Mundo can be a wonderful place. I have spent a lot of time there and loved it, and I plan to spend more time there where I get to Rio again in June. I find the boys there much more genuinely friendly and there's a lot less attitude in the place than at the hot and pricey tourist joints in Copa (Roger's, etc.). The black men at MM are especially wonderful! If you like 'em dark you won't do better than there. But you must have some Portuguese. I have met other clients at MM who speak good English and they can be a help, but you can't count on their being there when you might need them, so learn some Portuguese. And it's true that the neighboorhood after dark isn't so great. Have the guy at the door call a cab or have one of the boys get one for you if you don't think you'd be able to get one yourself on the street (there a taxi stand not too far away--right by the old cathedral, in fact--but cabs don't regularly pass by MM). Anyway, I recommend the place, but Gringo's probably right that it's not for first-timers or novices. Still, if you have a sense of adventure and have some Portuguese (or Spanish), you'll be fine. But watch that the boys don't charge drinks on your key! Anyway, Meio Mundo is a good place and you can have a great time there...I sure have!

Archived