THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Problems with Unlocked Luggage in BZ

Guest Gringo
This topic is 7912 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've always been antsy about my luggage. I've heard all the horror stories about lost or damaged luggage, but thank God, have never been a victim. I'm curious if any recent travelers to Brasil have had any problems/concerns with the new regulations to leave checked luggage UNLOCKED. Seems like it would be quite a temptation....:o

Guest Tomcal_

Here's some advise from a seasoned traveler! I fly one to two days a week for the company I work for, as do several other guys I work with, all of us do carry on, and seldom ever check luggage. Forget about unlocked luggage in Brazil, here in the U.S. it's a nightmare. We all have stories from when we first started traveling extensively for business and lost/delayed/stolen luggage. I can travel for 5 busienss days with the necessary suits/shoes/casual/etc. in a carryon bag. It just takes practice..lol(and a iron when you arrive at your destination). This is really easy when you travel to Rio, you need 2 pairs of shorts/swim suit/sandals and a couple of t-shirts and a pair of jeans! your set for a 10 days in Rio!

I travel frequently internationally, and never lock my checked luggage, and never had a problem. Expensive electonics are always in my carry-on, and I don't have flashy showy luggage. Luggage should be about function not fashion. If you follow this advice all you will have to worry about is lost luggage.

There, I can report that the new regulations are causing very real problems on flights from JFK to Europe where you connect through London or Frankfurt. From two very recent experiences of mine where I have had a chance to see the long lines in the lost luggage offices of two different airlines, I now believe that if you are late getting to JFK, the luggage is still screened and loaded, but not laded into the transfer container so thatit will not get on to your conecting flight. At first, I thought the problem was in Frankfurt, but when it happened again this week in London under similar circumstances (to very different looking luggage), it has become clear that the problem is on the American side.

Interesting question . . . and one I've been mulling-over in my mind this past week as I prepare for a February 6 departure for Rio.

Until the new U.S. regulations regarding inspection of all checked bags went into effect recently, I locked my luggage . . . to discourage/prevent theft. As I understand the new guidelines, locking the luggage isn't a realistic option. I'm aware that theft can occur at any point along the way . . . it could happen at my departure point, in Miami as I transfer airplanes, or after I land in Rio (or any other destination).

This is my first trip to Brazil, so I don't have any body of experience to draw upon. However, I've traveled extensively to Mexico (and elsewhere), and, on those occassions when I didn't lock my luggage . . . items were stolen. Not everything that's been stolen would qualify in my mind as "valuables" in the traditional sense of how the term is used. But, I always travel with small gifts to give to the guys I like best: usually an inexpensive walkman radio/player, some nice t-shirts, Calvin-type underwear, etc. (it depends upon the country I'm traveling to). What was relatively "secure" before will, I think, no longer be so, and I (and others) might just find that it's too risky to bring these things from home. Yes, we can always buy stuff at our destination, but guys often appreciate "rememberances" from another country. I'll bring my gifts with me in my luggage next month, and will carry the walkman-type thing in my carry-on.

About the wardrobe to bring with, well, not everyone lives in t-shirts and shorts, nor does everyone like to do laundry in the bathroom sink on a daily basis; each of us will have our own needs. Overpacking is something lots of people do, and it's a good exercise to see what's a "need" vs. "want." I usually lay-out things I "think" I'll want to use while on a trip about 3 weeks before departure (vacation trips). Then, as the time shortens before my departure I re-visit the stuff to weed it out. Then, just before departure I try to reduce the volume by 50% as I make final assumptions about what I think I'll be doing on the trip.

Interesting question, and the responses from those who've traveled from the U.S. in the past month will be helpful. Thanks!

I'm sort of on the Tomcal side on this one. I haven't checked luggage for years - even to the orient (after arriving in Taipei with my luggage five days behind me). I actually do a little business in Brazil - emphasis on little - am currently here for 17 days with 1 pr khakis, 1pr cargo pants, 1 pr jeans, 1 swimsuit, 2 shorts, 1 pr sandals, 1pr tennis shoes, 1 pr loafers and 10 assorted Ts and polos plus some "name" gift Ts - mostly Nike.

The laundries (lavendarias) are excellent, cheap and most give one day service.

In twenty years of travel to Brazil, I've occasionally had bags go astray (they showed up eventually) but never experienced theft. I never lock my bags, mainly because I can never keep the keys to the little locks! Of course, theft does happen. Just follow some of the advice given here: bring any electronics on-board with you, along with any essential meds and toiletries and a change of shirt/underwear in case your bag goes somewhere else. (In my case, the bags usually got left behind in Miami, or didn't get unloaded in Rio/SP if the plane went on to the other city. The bags were located and delivered to my hotel within 48 hours, at the max.)

Unless you're doing business in Brazil, clothing is very casual, particularly in the summer. A couple of pairs of bermudas (go for neutral colors that can combine with any shirt), a pair of long trousers, a pair of casual shoes, and flip-flops (plus your bathing suit, of course) will be all you need, along with several changes of shirts and underwear. Hawaiian shirts are fine, but so are plain t-shirts and polos, and at least one dressier shirt (it can be short-sleeved) if you're going downtown or to a nice restaurant. If you do find you're missing something, clothing is plentiful and inexpensive in Brazil (although XL sizes are harder to find). If you can't find what you want in Copacabana or Ipanema, just catch a cab to RioSul and cruise the mall until something catches your fancy. Hotel laundry services have always worked fine, but there are also numerous laundromats (lavandarias) that will wash, IRON and fold your clothes for you inexpensively. Same-day service is available if you take your stuff in the morning, otherwise your clothes will be ready the next day.

This trip I kind of went overboard and took a large suitcase loaded with stuff. I've actually used a lot of it because in the heat I find myself wanting to change shirts frequently. Of course, as always I've OD'ed on books and CDs, so the beast now weighs a ton, but it's wheeled. That makes it easy to maneuver in airports. Anywhere else (like hotels) there are bellhops and cab drivers to help wrestle with it. Also, there are free luggage carts at all the Brazilian airports, but I haven't really needed them this trip. Of course, I'll have to do something about it for the trip home, as it's going to be hard to carry up the stairs to my apartment in S.F. I always pack some shopping/tote type bags, so before the flight back I'll pull out the tote and load some of the books/CDs into that and carry it on. That should lighten the load considerably! For the other stuff (shaving kit, meds, emergency change of clothes and other carry-on needs) I use an unfashionable but very practical L.L. Bean bookpack that seems to have limitless pockets and expansion ability. It fits just fine in the overhead or under a seat and I've never had any hassles from the airlines about it, even when it was overstuffed and heavy at the end of a trip.

For shorter trips, I do use a carry-on size bag, but because of all the security hassles lately, not to mention connections in airports where you have to walk miles, I've been checking it anyway. Zero problems, so far, with doing that.

When I went to Amsterdam in November, I went thru London and was told to not check my luggage, because Heathrow was requesting 4 hours to connect baggage. So I carried mine onboard and on the return flight talked to a couple of people that transfered thru London and didnt get their luggage.

Archived