THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Amazon in April of '03

Axiom2001
This topic is 7919 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guys, I am already for Carnaval in Rio but plan to return to Brazil in April. I will spend twenty days or so, going to Sao Paulo, I. Falls, Salvador, Perati, and Rio. I also want to include the Amazon or just a trip down the river. What suggestions regarding the latter part of my itinerary may I solicit from previous and fellow travelers to this part of Brazil? Should I do it on my own (whatever is entailed here), or should I wait until I go to Brazil in February and journey with a group for this leg of my trip?

...hope this is coherent and not too many questions...:)

Trips to the Amazon can be arranged on your own or through a travel agency. Except for cruise ships, boats down the Amazon are pretty basic, so be warned. However, if you're taking a local boat, it's better to go upriver, even though it takes somewhat longer, than going downriver. The upriver boats hug the shoreline, while the downriver boats run in the middle to take advantage of the current. The river is so wide that in many places you won't see very much, if anything, from the middle.

There are a number of jungle lodges of varying prices in the area around Manaus. You can probably do better booking a package at one of them through a Brazilian travel agency once you arrive in the country. (You can also do it in Manaus). Local packages will be priced in reais, so you should be able to save some money. Unless you're a total nature freak, two or three days at a lodge should be sufficient. Brazil has fantastic biodiversity, but there aren't many interesting large mammals, as in Africa, so the focus is going to be more on plants, birds, reptiles and fish. To get to most of these lodges, you fly into Manaus and then are taken upriver to the lodges on their own boats.

Have fun, and report back on your experience when you do it!

Archived