THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

No Portuguese? How to Manage. . .

trilingual
This topic is 7919 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Reading HooBoy's review of Arthur made me a bit surprised. English isn't that widely spoken in Brazil, but it IS spoken, at least haltingly, by quite a few people. (After all, some of the people who go to the English courses located on practically every street corner must learn something in those classes!)

At airports and larger hotels in big metro areas like Rio or SP someone always speaks some English, or they'll find someone who does. At the saunas, at least at Lagoa and the saunas in Rio, there's almost always a couple of guys who speak some English who'll end up translating for visitors and helping them make arrangements with other guys who don't speak English.

To get around town, copy the addresses of the saunas from the Brazilian Saunas review, some other website, or the Spartacus, and take them with you. Do the same for the name and address of your hotel. Before going someplace, write the address where you're going on a piece of paper that you can show your cab driver. (Be sure to include the "bairro", because in many cities there are similarly-named streets in different bairros, which might be across town from one another. It also helps to cross the number 7, European-style. Otherwise the driver may read it as a 1.) Ask your hotel desk for some of their business cards, which you can show the driver when you want to return to your hotel.

Again, if you know any Spanish, that will take you a long way as long as you make the effort to understand the responses in Portuguese. If someone is speaking too fast, say "Não entendi. Fale mais devagar, por favor."

Written Portuguese looks a lot like Spanish and has thousands of cognate words in English. Compared to travel in Asian or Middle-Eastern countries, where the writing system is completely different and English may not be widely spoken, either, Brazil is a snap! Anyone who can manage Thailand, for example, can handle Brazil!

Guest Tomcal_

I too was surprised by HooBoy's comments about how difficult it is in Rio if you don't speak Portuguese. I have been to Rio 4 times since Oct., 2001 and speak no portuguese and no spanish, and have had absolutely No Problems! (especially in the saunas-:9 ) In the resturants, you can ask for a English menu, they all have them. I have that most hotel workers speak fairly good to excellent English(Rene at Atlantico was very good about calling my room and saying in perfect English "You have another guest, do wish me to send him up?"

the only problem i encountered in 5 weeks of time in Rio the past year was when i invited Anderson to my room for the next day at 9:00 pm and he showed up at 9:00 a.m. I then learned they are on a 24hr(military time)

Like the previous two messages, I found HooBoy's comments very contrary to my experience in Rio and SP last year when I managed quite well by myself without any Portugese. I can manage a few expressions like obrigado, por favor, quanta/quinta (?) but beyond that it was all body language, using written addresses, pointing at things in restaurants that other people were eating and that looked good. Hey, there are lots of ways to get along in ANY country in the world if you try and are patient. The foremost thing to remember is that although English is understood in many different places in the world, you cannot assume everyone speaks or understands it. So, don't give up on Brazil without a guide (which can be expensive), if you're adventurous and "muy sympatico", you'll get along (and more than that in the saunas!). :-)

Dudes!!

I think you misunderstood my meaning. For a person who is not well-travelled and does not know more than one language, this can be a daunting place (as any country can be if you do not speak the language). I was only suggesting that some people should consider having a tour guide before exploding on this scene.

That said, I am in love with this country and it's people. Kind, gentle, relaxed and beautful all come to mind.

I think I may stay awhile.

:9

I can empathize with Hooboy on this issue. Rio is a big city and many travelers might be a bit surprised at how LITTLE english is spoken or understood outside of the tourist areas. In the tourist areas you are likely to find that most hotels and restaurants have some staff who speak at least a bit of english, but once you stray from these areas or into stores or other venues that cater more to locals, one may feel a bit lost. Knowing at least a little portuguese or spanish (or having an english-speaking guide) can make thinks much easier, but is not a prerequisite for enjoying Rio. However, at a minimum a good phrasebook can be very useful.

The language difference was a problem for me at times. Sometimes very frustrating. But.....

When I go to a foreign country, I don't want everyone speaking English. I like the adventure of trying to learn. When every country becomes like the US, it won't be any fun to travel!

>I can empathize with Hooboy on this issue. Rio is a big city

>and many travelers might be a bit surprised at how LITTLE

>english is spoken or understood outside of the tourist areas.

If you had said Salvador, I would understand, but I have never had a problem in Rio and SP. I would also add that many understand English, but are embarassed when speaking it so even broken English or Spanish plus hand gestures can usually take you quite far.

"The first thing he wanted me to do was move from the boondocks into downtown Sao Paulo."

Can I ask why you would have booked yourself into a hotel in the boondocks in the first place? This is what I mean when I say that everytime I hear a negative report about Rio or SP, when I hear more I find myself less than symapathetic.

There are two distinctly different hotel experiences to be had in Sao Paulo. I have regularly stayed at the Crowne Plaza - a very upscale four star hotel in the very upscale Paulista area near the gem of a smaller museum, great Sunday antique flea markets, better restaurants, etc. - at a negotiated "business" rate of $100 (rack rate about $250) including sumptuous breakfast (say "cafe de manha") buffet. No problem with visitors or overnight (just a discreet bill for the extra guest at breakfast) and totally convenient to the metro (Consolaceo station).

I happen to be in SP now and opted to stay at the Hotel Itamarati (say "Itamarachi") on the local economy and exactly in the middle of the gay Republica district (unbelievable on a Saturday night) also including a very decent breakfast buffet and very convenient to the metro (Republica station). It´s a charming, very clean and decent older place. The major drawbacks? No english channels on the TV and ABSOLUTELY NO VISITORS TO THE ROOM! Quite a surprise located where it is in the heart of things - but maybe necessary to prevent it from becoming a whorehouse. The hotel population is 90-95% straight. The big upside for travelers on a budget? I'm paying $R55 per night (about $18 at the moment) and a block-and-a-half away is an Airport Bus Station. The bus takes about 40 minutes - maybe and hour at rush times - and costs $R16.50 ($6) compared to $R60 for a taxi.

A cautionery note - Last night I left Lagoa with a sometimes-playmate and friend of the last year or so for dinner. We asked the taxi driver for a decent Italian restaurant and got taken to Massimo's in the Jardim (say "Jargeem") area. A modest dinner for two? $R210 AND THEY DON'T TAKE CREDIT CARDS! Once again guys, clarify, clarify. And my friend? I've mentioned him before. His name is Rodrigo (say "Hojrigo"), know as Rog. He's sandy blond crewcut with blue eyes, very well buit, handsome and germanic looking - from his father's side - and speaks very good english. Lived in California as a youth. He's totally versatile and anxious to please and a VERY nice guy - a great alternative as a guide/friend. His cel # is 011 9339-0490.

On the english front, I am also a frequent visitor to Brazil on business and otherwise, and - although I'm gradually picking up vocabulary, with a Portugese language CD permanently stuck in the dashboard of my truck at home - it has never been a barrier if you approach it as an adventure without fear. As has been said many times on this board, Brazilians are a warm and friendly people anxious to help.

Upward and onward to Rio on Thursday.

Hey, HooBoy, glad to hear you're feeling better and getting into the spirit of the place. Nicer, warmer, friendlier people than the Brazilians would be hard to find. (Although I hear Thailand gives Brazil a run for its money in that respect.)

As for the "Massimo's" experience, I guess from the perspective of Brazilian cab drivers all foreigners are rich enough to afford the place. Along with Fasano, it's one of the most expensive restaurants in Brazil. Hotel desks also tend to steer you to the high-price places, so be sure to emphasize you want a normal, not an expensive restaurant!

To avoid this situation, let me suggest (once again) that on arrival you go to the nearest news stand and buy a copy of the current Quatro Rodas Guia Brasil. Even though it's in Portuguese, it's organized like the Michelin guides, mostly using symbols and abbreviations. There's a key to the symbols in the front, and usually a plastic bookmark included that shows the key in English.

The guide covers both hotels and restaurants, in descending price ranges, and for the larger cities groups restaurants by type of cuisine. You should be able to figure out the basics about each restaurant even without knowing the language.

A second source of restaurant information, at least in Rio and Sao Paulo, is Veja magazine, also available at newstands everywhere (it usually comes out Saturday evening or Sunday). Veja is the largest circulation newsweekly outside the U.S. In Rio and SP it comes bundled with a weekly local entertainment guide that also includes categorized restaurant listings. Similar local guides are published for some of the larger state capitals, but check before you buy the magazine, as it doesn't always seem to be there. However, for Rio and SP you can count on it. The guide will also show current movies, concerts, etc., so it's quite useful.

A third source of restaurant and entertainment information is the Friday edition of the quality newspapers (Jornal do Brasil and O Globo in Rio, Folha de Sao Paulo and O Estado de Sao Paulo in SP). They come with an entertainment guide for the upcoming weekend and the rest of the week, and also have restaurant listings. Other days of the week, movie, theater and concert listings are found in these papers in their entertainment/culture sections (Caderno B/Segunda Seçao/etc.).

Archived