THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Spring Rio Trip

Guest Tomcal_
This topic is 7918 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Tomcal_

Guys,I made it official today, going back to Rio for my 5th time(in 18

months) on April 9th to the 20th. I love to play Rio tour/sauna guide (just ask LAShowbiz) so if your planning a trip or have been thinking about it, go in April, great weather, i was there last April and every day was Sunny, 82 - 85 degrees, not very humid, it was great!

I'm sure you'll be deluged with offers to be tour guide! I'll have to alert the saunas, so the guys can get retreaded in advance of your visit! ;) Not to mention that the Atlântico will need to steam out the red carpet and oil the revolving door to your suite. . . }(

See ya then. . .

Guest Tomcal_

Tri, I can't wait for you and I to do a "fact finding" mission together in April. I think we should personally "update" all the information on all the boys working there! We can then compare notes at "Jabbas" in the late eveing. looking forward to finally buying you that "drink" I owe you! Tom

Guest Tomcal_

I plan on going again in Oct.,I went in April, Aug and Oct. in 2002 and really liked the weather in the spring and fall. (low 80's day, low 70' night). Although I am not sure why it makes a difference as most of my waking hours are in one of the three saunas...lol. Tentatively, looking at the last week in Oct. Tom

Just went to Kinkos for my passport photo and will trot on down to the Maricopa County courthouse to apply for my first passport. I have only traveled in North America and never needed anything more than my birth certificate. I am planning 3 weeks in Brazil beginning about the 15th of April. My travel buddy George will be coming with me. I introduced him to Montreal and Puerto Vallarta, and am sure that Rio will be the crown jewel of our journey's.

My idea is to stay 7 days in Rio, check out Brasillia for 2 days (both George and myself are interested in politics and political institutions. Seeing the capital would be fun), 3 days in Sao Paulo (am sure Lagoria will keep me occupied), 2 days at the Falls, 2 days in Curibita (want to take the train), finishing up back in Rio for the remainder of our stay, about 5 days.

Does this sound too ambitious? I want to be in Rio long enough to really start to get to know it, but also want to be exposed to other areas of Brazil. Right now we are planning on getting one of the Brazilian airlines Brazil Pass. There are 4 or 5 airlines offering these passes for about $100 per flight.

In Rio, we are considering the Hotel Dubret, primarily because it is on the beach, sort of. (Atlantico Ave separates it from the beach.)We have been quoted a rate of $50 per night for a suite overlooking the beach. We are also looking at renting a nice apartment, which would have to be a two bedroom. We have a friend in Miami, who is a friend of a Carioca who now lives in Miami. He says that his friend suggests the apartment route and that he can hook us up with information. Our budget for an apartment would be $100 per night, as that is what we would spend getting two suites at the Dubret. Would appreciate any new leads.

Right now, we have no idea as to where we will be staying for the portion of the trip away from Rio. I will try and review the archieves. I appreciate Tri letting us know how to do so. I would like to stay at the Hotel overlooking the Falls, but was quoted a $200 per night rate. That would be $400 for the two of us.

I would very much like to meet up with any fellow travelers who might be in Rio during the last part of April, first of May.

Tomcal,

I am also looking at the last week in October for my birthday (10 days or so from 10/23 -11/2/03). Now I guess I'll have to wrestle you for the presidential suite at the Atlantico. ha Tried to contact them and tried to check availability through one of the hotel discounters for that time. No rooms available.. But will keep trying. Thanks to all the guys who have posted info on housing.

Damn I caved in

Just booked my flights - will be there 10th March to 15th March (6 nights)

Still should see 202 open hopefully.

Trying to get my room now at Atlantico Copacobana.

Driver's third trip - won't be so gullible or a pushover this time. Boys watch out.

Dad,

Last summer I was in Rio for about 10 days - half in the Astoria and half in the Luxor Regente.

The Astoria is a short walk from the Metro, both Copa saunas, the gay section of the beach, Maxim's and the Jabba restaurant.

The Luxor is on the same block as the Debret. I felt in the boonies. It was a LOOOONG walk to the center of things. I'd never stay in that neighborhood again (It was safe and beautiful, but isolated).

The Astoria, which was recommended by Trilingual, is nice and inexpensive. TomCal has recommended the Atlantico in the same area, and there are others nearby. Neither is on the oceanfront but the location, IMHO, more than makes up for it.

Dick

Archived