THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

My first visit to Rio

alankay
This topic is 7947 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I had prepared a much longer post but it vanished while trying to proof it so I am abbreviating this one. I visited Rio for the first time over Thanksgiving for one week. This board inspired me to try South America and I'm glad I did! The hotel and restaurant recommendations were all very useful and on target. I stayed at the Atlantico Copacabana and I liked being near the two saunas I frequented most--Estacao and Rogers. I am traveing to Rio again in January and will stay at the Windsor Palace--which is also close. Of all three saunas I visited Estacao was my favorite as I met Fernando there. Fernando looks like a young George Clooney with a tanned construction worker build. Fernando has everything I like in a man (including his Italian heritage). He is well built, handsome, hairy (but not overly so) and a GREAT KISSER!!! According to Jake (a fellow poster I met in Rio) Fernando has worked at the Lagoa Sauna in Sao Paolo. Fernando is in Rio to make money during the high season and will only be at Estacao until February 9th. This is the main reason I am returning so soon--as well as trading in frequent flyer miles I would not use otherwise. For those of you who are on the fence about a trip to Rio--get off it immediately and get down there. The place is beautiful, it is a bargain, the people are friendly and many of them are drop dead gorgeous. It was the best place I have visited yet--and I travel extensively. I CAN'T WAIT TO RETURN!

Your abbreviated version wasindeed refreshing! I, too, have been to Brasil--namely Rio but plan to return in February/March 2003 during Carnaval (if my friend doesn't do strange things) and again in April/May to conclude what I did not finish in October! I found the place, its people, and all other features worthwhile! I presently yearn for February to arrive. (...have flight and lodgings already paid for...)

DITTO Went after an absence of almost 20 years, returned back to NY the first week of december after a great thanksgiving getaway, and immediately planned for a return. I will arrive for 2 weeks on New Years Eve afternoon and will also include 3 nights in Buenos Aires - arranged by roberto.

can not say enough about how the whole experience was an A++++.

I forget to include my ATM experience which I hope will help other travelers to Rio. As most of you have read on this post there is a Citibank ATM in Blockbuster Video--Copacabana. I carried a fairly large amount of USD to Rio and did not depend on the ATM. However, over the weekend I wanted to obtain additional Reals and found the machine would provide a MAXIMUM of $R 400 (which cost me $112.44) and came out of the ATM in $R 10 notes!! Needless to say this was NOT very convenient but fortunately my hotel was happy to provide me larger notes. The next day I went back to the ATM and it was inoperable and there was a note with an address that directed one to Centro (downtown) on Sunday(!) to obtain currency via Citibank. I checked with the hotel manager and he verified that this was the only ATM (at Blockbuster) that he knew of with an international banking link. I did not want to venture downtown on a Sunday and was able to exchange US currency at the hotel but one needs to keep the uncertainty of the Blockbuster ATM in mind--especially on weekends. On my next visit to Rio I will take even more cash so as not to rely on the ATM. I should also mention that I did try other ATMs but did not find any that offered an english menu and when I took a stab at Portugese either I did not provide the correct response or the ATM had no international link. A minor glitch but--Be Prepared!

Question about Visa

Sorry for posting this question in your "thread," but, I posted it yesterday . . . and the post, I think, went stray. I'm a new poster, and not yet familiar with the mechanisms here. About entry to Brazil . . . is it accurate that tourists are required to pay a US$100 processing fee for the tourist visa? I'm about to make a decision on where I'll go in February, and, after reading this board for a couple of months now, I'm leaning towards Rio. However, I'm a big fan of Mexico, and always have a great time there, and Mexico's a lot less expensive (not to mention travel time) to get to (from Chicago) than Rio. I've read a Brazilian consulate website description of the steps required to get the visa, I'm just not certain I understand the cost. Thanks. And, thanks for the report on your trip.

RE: Question about Visa

that's correct. beginning 12-01-02 the visa fee went up to US$100. but it's good for 5 years. mexico is fun & close. you will never be the same after brasil!! go 4 it! ;-)

When I was in Rio last July the Citibank ATM at Blockbuster was down far more than it was up. There was also another Citibank ATM somewhere on the main drag in Ipanema, but on the one time I tried it it was also down. For most of my travels to other countries I can rely on my ATM, but when I return to Rio I will definitely plan on bringing a lot more dollars with me than I did last time. There is an AmEx office on the Copacabana Palace block, but travelers' cheques get a fairly poor exchange rate even there.

Thanks, Gringo, for the quick reply. I might just take a pass on Rio . . . this time. I've only got 10 days to travel in February, and it'll be on a budget . . . of sorts. I have a lot "invested" in Mexico, and I like it a lot (20+ years). Yea, I'm interested in the "sex" side of Rio, but Mexico is difficult to beat in that category, IMHO, and the "cultural" side of Mexico is tough to top, also (especially for North Americans). I'll have some time to travel in the fall (another 10 days), so, maybe I'll consider Rio then. Again, thanks for your reply . . . and, I'm going to keep reading these threads, and will "travel" a bit through the trips of other, generous, posters who share their experiences. Suerte!

Hey Alan - It was good meeting you in Rio - I'll be back there about Jan 16 (after some Sao Paolo business - and monkey business).

To clarify the ATM situation in Rio a little. The Blockbuster Citibank in Copacabana at Avenida Copacabana and ??Figueroda is a normally reliable source of cash except for Sundays and especially in season. It also gives by far the best exchange rate available and is only limited in its amount by the limits of YOUR BANK. How do I know? I have used it in business deals for the best rate and pulled thousands of reals in one visit (with appropriate care from prying eyes). There are, however, other closeby options also at the best rate. All Banco do Brasil branches have ATMs that work for international, but be certain you identify the machines that have the MasterCard/Visa/Cirrus/Plus kinds of stickers on them. I believe their limit is R$l,000 per day. There is a branch across Avenida Copacabana and north of Blockbusters about a block-and-a-half and another south about four or five blocks at the corner of Rua Ipanema among others. None of these charges a fee.

You will save from eight to 15% by learning the ATM ropes.

P.S. The normal distribution on these ATMs will be something like nine 50s and five 10s for a R$500 withdrawal. I suspect you hit it at the end of its supply (And sorry if I had anything to do with running the supply low - for business OR monkey business!)

Besides Citibank and Banco do Brasil, I've also had pretty good luck using my card at HSBC branches in Brazil. Some Bradesco machines are linked; I've used some of their freestanding ATMs in shopping malls. There are also linked machines at some Banco Itaú branches, including the one on the corner across the street from the Copacabana Palace on Av. Atlântica (to the right of the hotel as you face its front entrance). It's still a mystery to me why all the ATMs aren't linked. One day I hope they will be. If you can't find a working ATM, but it's a bank that should accept your card and it's during banking hours, you can try getting money on your card inside the bank using your debit/credit card. If you have problems finding someone to help you, ask for the manager ("o gerente").

Sadly, it's true that Brazil is now charging $100 for visas. Brazil is big into diplomatic reciprocity, so it charges $100 because that's what the U.S. is now gouging Brazilians for visas. (That's a lot of money in Brazil, and applicants don't get a refund if their visas are denied.) Also, Americans need visas to visit Brazil because the U.S. demands visas from Brazilian visitors. Brazil COULD waive the visa requirement for Americans, as many other countries do, but for whatever reason chooses not to. At least Brazil doesn't put visitors through the kind of third degree prospective visitors to the U.S. have to undergo, and its consulates aren't forcing people to dial an overpriced (900) number in order to get basic visa information, as the U.S. does in Brazil. (If anyone wants to know why the U.S. government is so wildly popular abroad, these are two big reasons. . .)

Once you get a Brazilian visitor's visa, it's good for five years and for multiple entries. However, the first entry on the visa must be within 90 days from its date of issue. Each entry is good for 90 days, which can be extended for another 90 days in-country by going to the Polícia Federal and paying some fees. Alternatively, it's possible to travel to a neighboring country, like Argentina and then re-enter. Altogether, visitors are allowed to be in the country for a maximum of 180 days in any calendar year.

Mexico vs. Brazil: Mexico is wonderful (I spent my childhood there). So is Brazil. Mexico has higher mountains and much more interesting pre-Columbian archaeology than Brazil, but otherwise both countries have endlessly rich and fascinating histories, magnificent colonial towns, unique foods, etc. Brazil has a much stronger African influence than Mexico, which has profoundly shaped Brazilian food, music, and every other aspect of Brazilian culture. From the aspect of sexuality, Brazilians are far less uptight and macho than Mexicans. As much as you enjoy Mexico, all I can say is "go!" when it comes to Brazil. I think you'll fall in love with it, too.

Guest Tomcal_

Guys, I posted this last Aug. but it's lost somewhere in the archives. About 100 feet past(heading North) the Blockbuster on Copacabana Ave. on the same side of the street is a HCBS ATM that honors all the cards and has English translations(which many of the Brazilain banks don't). I used it when the Blockbuster/Citibank ATM ran out of cash on a Sunday in Oct. when I was there.

Thanks for the info. on the ATMS. In retrospect I may have been limited by the cash available in the machine. I doubt $R10 notes were all the ATM held--apparently your withdrawal tapped out the larger denominations! I look forward to seeing you in Rio around the 16th of January. You certainly know where I will be hanging out in the late afternoon/evening!!

Both HSBC and Itau - including the one across the side street from the Copacabana Palace - can, as previously mentioned, be very fickle! Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I've even had the experience at that particular Itau branch of it not working on the first several attempts then working perfectly - at the same time.

Other than Sundays, I find Citibank and Banco do Brasil (being certain to hit the machines with appropriate system stickers) by far the most reliable.

Archived