THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Ipanema Under Siege: Rio's Gangs Flex Harder

Lucky
This topic is 8005 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The article is online at nytimes.com, but you have to register. I did not cut and paste it because Hooboy objected tothat sort of thing in the past. I will try to provide a link.

Essentially, the gangs are getting lots of sophisticated weaponry and making their power known. They have already shut Rio down once, forcing most shops to close, and are getting more and more brazen in their attacks on the police.

RE: Ipanema Under Siege: link to article

Although I do not plan to travel to Rio soon, for I just returned from there during the latter portion of last week, I thank you for apprising us of this article which appeared in today's NY TIMES.

When I was there, an American expatriate told me about the gangs' closing down the city of Rio for a day. When I visited three favelas-- all different and distinct with supposedly the best tour company who does this sort of thing, (Marcello Armstrong-- the originator of tours to favelas) our guide Alfredo told us not to take any photos of people without their permission, for some just might be gang members/leaders and would view you--the photographer as an informant or whatever. The entire experience was rather enlightening.

While in Rio-- I wondered why there was oh so much graffiti. I know it appears here in many of our large cities, but I've never seen a church that has had any graffiti on it. My query was never answered by Ernani and others to whom I addressed it. I now must presume that much of it was gang related.

Archived