THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Scam ? Rio Travel Agency

Guest Tomcal_
This topic is 8015 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Tomcal_

Guys, i had previously posted about this agency :

email: travel@ipanema.com and - hotel@ipanema.com ph. 55-21-2521-0673 Fax 2513-3776 They had gotten me a good rate confirmed in Reals so I did the previous post, however today i received a confirmation from them regarding shuttle service

I did not tell them i had ever been to Rio before and asked them to arrange a airport pickup to hotel and back, this trip by private car, arranged previously with the hotels and other times by taxi has usually run abuot $37 Reyas, they quoted me $50. U.S.!!! 4 X times the normal rate. I have got to think that they are trying to hose the Americans that haven't been there before!!!

I used http://www.ipanema.com to book my hotel for my July visit and I had no problems. I was happy with the hotel I booked through them, Copacabana Mar - I booked the hotel at $66USD a night and wound up paying $55USD a night. When the front desk cashier ran the final bill, his eyebrows shot up and he said, "You got a VERY good rate."

I resurrected the email from them which mentioned airport transfers and here is an excerpt:

----------------------------

"ARRIVAL + AIRPORT TRANSFERS:

You already have your traveler`s visa, right? Just checking...

(http://www.ipanema.com/rio/basics/e/visas.htm) Taxis authorized to operate at the International Airport have a stand inside the terminal, right out Customs and Immigration. Prepay at the stand, and hand the voucher to the driver. The fixed rate is around R$50 (about US$20-25), and tips are optional. These are comfortable air-conditioned sedans, and the colors may be white, red or blue.

You can also make your arrangements for a VIP transfer through us. We will send an air-conditioned van or taxi to pick you up. Taxis for two are US$30 each way, and the round-trip transfer is US$50. The van is big enough for up to 7 and costs US$45 (one way) or US$80 for the round trip. To request a VIP transfer please send us the details of your flight, and the number of people arriving."

----------------------------

Perhaps their rates have changed, but then it was $50 ROUNDTRIP for two (about 135 reals at that time, I think) with the "VIP" service, pretty much the routine markup for convenience, I think, like booking tours through the hotel rather than walking 50 feet to book a tour at one of the Rio travel agencies. I just took a cab and it cost me about 40 reals one-way to get to the Copacabana Palace area. I would readily use ipanema.com again to book my hotel, but would definitely just catch a taxi.

Guest Tomcal_

I had thought that maybe it's for round trip, but that is not what their email to me said, i have sent them a email asking them to verify the rate. But even if it is round trip, that is the equivlent of $197 reyas, it would only be $70. reyas for a cab round trip and it's only 25 min ride from the airport to Copa.

For taxi service/guide services try Wilton de Costa. I used him alot while I was in Rio. Odilo Lima, whose apartment I rented, arranged for Wilton to meet me at the airport and I used Wilton as a driver/tour guide. He is certified as tour guide. He charges US$25. from airport to Copa. Tour service is US15. He is not gay but is gay-friendly. He speaks fluent English. His e-mail is not working but his telephone number is 21 9974 8341. He became a friend who I could call with questions.

As the http://www.ipanema.com site points out, the easiest way to get to town from the airport is to buy a pre-paid fixed rate taxi voucher from the stand in the arrivals hall, which you give to the driver of one of the air-conditioned airport radio taxis. It's less expensive than the "VIP" service or what Wilton charges for an airport run.

If there are several of you going at the same time (i.e., more than three) the "VIP" van sounds like a good deal, since it can seat up to seven for the same price of US$45 one way. Divided among a group, that's a cheap way to get to town.

As for Wilton's current prices, I imagine they've gone up since April. Gasoline has always been expensive in Brazil, compared to U.S. prices, and it has been going up as the real has been crashing, because oil and gas prices are set by the world market. According to the "Jornal do Brasil," bus and cab fares are going to be increased in the next few days. Ordinary meter cab fares will be going up by around 8.5%. Some bus fares will have larger increases. If I recall the article correctly, local bus fares will be rising to R$1,60. However, even with these increases, the cost of a long bus or cab ride in Rio will still be much cheaper than a similar journey would be in the U.S. or Northern Europe.

Archived